Issue playing Dolby Vision formats.

vikrantxtrad

Hi,
Recently I have been downloading movies which are in Dolby Vision. I use my hard disk for playing them.
Many of my movies aren't being played as intended and looks purple-green as TV is not recognising it as Dolby Vision format.
I have noticed that if the movie is in
.MP4, the TV is able to run it flawlessly while if it's MKV then TV doesn't recognises the Dolby Vision and it looks purple green.
I have tried playing from Kodi too, same issue. How to play .MKV DV files?

Hi,
Recently I have been downloading movies which are in Dolby Vision. I use my hard disk for playing them.
Many of my movies aren't being played as intended and looks purple-green as TV is not recognising it as Dolby Vision format.
.MP4, the TV is able to run it flawlessly while if it's MKV then TV doesn't recognises the Dolby Vision and it looks purple green.
Are you playing via PC? PC won't work as Microsoft hasn't paid licensing fees to Dolby.

If you're playing via TV, then it depends on the TV itself or the player you're choosing.

In my case, the firestick 4k is able to convert both single layer and dual layer content to HDR10 without any weird green-purple tint.

The green-purple thingy comes from BT.2020 content getting recognised as BT.709. Better to download dual layer Dolby Vision files as single layer won't work on many devices. The dual layer ones will work on PC too as there's HDR10 backwards compatibility.

Hi,
There are 2 types of Dolby vision Mel and fel. Most content available as well as most TVs support Mel.
Imo the files that you are not able to play properly could have been encoded as fel which your TV doesn't support.

Are you playing via PC? PC won't work as Microsoft hasn't paid licensing fees to Dolby.

If you're playing via TV, then it depends on the TV itself or the player you're choosing.

In my case, the firestick 4k is able to convert both single layer and dual layer content to HDR10 without any weird green-purple tint.

The green-purple thingy comes from BT.2020 content getting recognised as BT.709. Better to download dual layer Dolby Vision files as single layer won't work on many devices. The dual layer ones will work on PC too as there's HDR10 backwards compatibility.
I was using TV directly, How do you play external files using Firestick 4k? Do you use Plex/ Emby too?

This might be a luxury for most but considering we pay so much (and spend so much time) for our big screen TV's, it might be beneficial to buy a cheap Dolby Vision or HDR capable Blu Ray player and use the USB or Network functions to stream downloaded content on your home network. Nothing beats the software and hardware prowess that you will get and for those who fancy spinning disc, trust me, you will see a different side to your TV's capabilities. Alternatively, an nvidia shield will also work far more reliably and will offer more flexibility, at a price.

This might be a luxury for most but considering we pay so much (and spend so much time) for our big screen TV's, it might be beneficial to buy a cheap Dolby Vision or HDR capable Blu Ray player and use the USB or Network functions to stream downloaded content on your home network. Nothing beats the software and hardware prowess that you will get and for those who fancy spinning disc, trust me, you will see a different side to your TV's capabilities. Alternatively, an nvidia shield will also work far more reliably and will offer more flexibility, at a price.
Yes I agree. I have PlayStation 5 and I use it for blu ray movies. People say it has same or better capability than Sony Blu Ray players. Only issue is it doesn't support Dolby Vision

^ Does the Xbox X support Dolby Vision/Atmos & USB video file(4K Rips) playback through Plex?

I was using TV directly, How do you play external files using Firestick 4k? Do you use Plex/ Emby too?
Yes, I use Plex. I can create a thread explaining how Plex works and how to configure it if you want. It's the best time investment you can make for seamless home entertainment.

Another option would be either to create SMB share or DLNA share from Windows, but it isn't as seamless as Plex.
I installed Plex but it said to install Plex server so I felt that it will even more tough think to solve.
Plex requires some time and effort on your side. Your desktop or server will be the Plex server and your TV/phone/laptop will be the client.
This might be a luxury for most but considering we pay so much (and spend so much time) for our big screen TV's, it might be beneficial to buy a cheap Dolby Vision or HDR capable Blu Ray player and use the USB or Network functions to stream downloaded content on your home network. Nothing beats the software and hardware prowess that you will get and for those who fancy spinning disc, trust me, you will see a different side to your TV's capabilities.
Unless you want to play hard spinning disks, it's a sheer waste of money to buy a Blu-Ray player. Something cheap like firestick 4k will have all the prowess to play content via network on Plex/DLNA/SMB shares. You can spend a bit more and get Apple TV 4k (2021) and also get access to the excellent apps on TVOS.

Another option would be either to create SMB share or DLNA share from Windows, but it isn't as seamless as Plex.
I have used SMB 2.0 once, the way it would work was that I would first download the content and I could play it. Can you recommend me an app which I could play movies on the go?
I will try to setup Plex now.
Also I just remembered one thing, Jio Box has some function where we can insert our hard disk and it is available in the network. Any idea how can we use it?

I have used SMB 2.0 once, the way it would work was that I would first download the content and I could play it. Can you recommend me an app which I could play movies on the go?
I will try to setup Plex now.
Also I just remembered one thing, Jio Box has some function where we can insert our hard disk and it is available in the network. Any idea how can we use it?
If you can set up Plex, nothing beats it. Other option would be to set up SMB by default.

On my PC, my D drive is the media library. So I've turned on SMB sharing for that. As soon as I put anything on there, it will be accessible via SMB.

You can look at SMB shares on VLC for example. Also most file explorers will support SMB mounts.

If you can set up Plex, nothing beats it. Other option would be to set up SMB by default.

On my PC, my D drive is the media library. So I've turned on SMB sharing for that. As soon as I put anything on there, it will be accessible via SMB.

You can look at SMB shares on VLC for example. Also most file explorers will support SMB mounts.
I tried ES explorer, they asked for money, then went with AndSMB, it's free but it has to download whole movie first and store. I will try on VLC

I tried ES explorer, they asked for money, then went with AndSMB, it's free but it has to download whole movie first and store. I will try on VLC
I'd suggest to just set up Plex. It's easier to set up and is a one time setup for a lifetime of amazing media sharing.

Even for VLC you'll have to set up SMB on your source device with automation, which is not straightforward.

On a side note, since DV is a proprietary algorithm, the AV community is yet to crack it completely. So it will always be a hit or miss.

I'd suggest to just set up Plex. It's easier to set up and is a one time setup for a lifetime of amazing media sharing.

Even for VLC you'll have to set up SMB on your source device with automation, which is not straightforward.
Ok then I will do that. Also can we calibrate display using MadVR? I heard something about 3D LUT.

Back