Issue playing Dolby Vision formats.

Unless you want to play hard spinning disks, it's a sheer waste of money to buy a Blu-Ray player.
Maybe to you, not to me. Nothing beats Ultra HD Blu Ray. Not that I have a giant Blu Ray collection but I do collect movies that are worth their story and can put a good show on screen. It is the ONLY way I evaluate a TV at the store or even at home. Most modern Blu Ray players let you stream content over your network too so either a hard disc directly connected to it or the player pulling content from your PC or NAS box sitting somewhere remote. That is how I play high res music stored on my computer.

All this stuff we download from the internet, who knows what ripping and compression methods were used. Unless you do this yourself, you are not going to know what information is lost in the process. Besides; its illegal. I am not advocating against this. I think most of us do in some form or the other. When you evaluate a product, you need to make sure the source is reliable or good, else there is no point.

Most current gen TV's can handle anything network related as long as you have a stable network connection.

I am not sure what Apple TV offers over any smart TV other than their own streaming content.

Yes, I use Plex. I can create a thread explaining how Plex works and how to configure it if you want. It's the best time investment
Yes, I use Plex. I can create a thread explaining how Plex works and how to configure it if you want. It's the best time investment you can make for seamless home entertainment.

Another option would be either to create SMB share or DLNA share from Windows, but it isn't as seamless as Plex.

Plex requires some time and effort on your side. Your desktop or server will be the Plex server and your TV/phone/laptop will be the client.

Unless you want to play hard spinning disks, it's a sheer waste of money to buy a Blu-Ray player. Something cheap like firestick 4k will have all the prowess to play content via network on Plex/DLNA/SMB shares. You can spend a bit more and get Apple TV 4k (2021) and also get access to the excellent apps on TVOS.
you can make for seamless home entertainment.

Another option would be either to create SMB share or DLNA share from Windows, but it isn't as seamless as Plex.

Plex requires some time and effort on your side. Your desktop or server will be the Plex server and your TV/phone/laptop will be the client.

Unless you want to play hard spinning disks, it's a sheer waste of money to buy a Blu-Ray player. Something cheap like firestick 4k will have all the prowess to play content via network on Plex/DLNA/SMB shares. You can spend a bit more and get Apple TV 4k (2021) and also get access to the excellent apps on TVOS.
Please create a thread on plex if you don't mind ? Also how to access plex on firestick without Internet?

Maybe to you, not to me. Nothing beats Ultra HD Blu Ray. Not that I have a giant Blu Ray collection but I do collect movies that are worth their story and can put a good show on screen. It is the ONLY way I evaluate a TV at the store or even at home. Most modern Blu Ray players let you stream content over your network too so either a hard disc directly connected to it or the player pulling content from your PC or NAS box sitting somewhere remote. That is how I play high res music stored on my computer.

All this stuff we download from the internet, who knows what ripping and compression methods were used. Unless you do this yourself, you are not going to know what information is lost in the process. Besides; its illegal. I am not advocating against this. I think most of us do in some form or the other. When you evaluate a product, you need to make sure the source is reliable or good, else there is no point.

Most current gen TV's can handle anything network related as long as you have a stable network connection.

I am not sure what Apple TV offers over any smart TV other than their own streaming content.
You are right. Blueray is still the choice in advanced countries. Indians somehow did not go beyond DVD players in large scale household consumption and seems they skipped BRs and went to OTTs thinking the grapes are sour.

You are right. Blueray is still the choice in advanced countries. Indians somehow did not go beyond DVD players in large-scale household consumption, and it seems they skipped BRs and went to OTTs thinking the grapes are sour.
Price is the main factor preventing people from going to BD. In the west, a 4k title usually costs 30 bucks, so you can easily buy a few in a month. But here, it's around 3k. How many can pay this much on a movie here when they can easily enjoy the same content via OTT or torrent?

Maybe to you, not to me.
Then you're agreeing with me. As I said, a blu-ray player is only worth it if you're gonna play spinning disks on it. You haven't provided a counter to the argument, i.e. why should I buy a blu-ray player if I don't have any blu-ray disks in the first place.
It is the ONLY way I evaluate a TV at the store or even at home. Most modern Blu Ray players let you stream content over your network too so either a hard disc directly connected to it or the player pulling content from your PC or NAS box sitting somewhere remote. That is how I play high res music stored on my computer.
Plex can do all of that over network as well, and much better than any other Network share. It has metadata, theme music, album art, synopsis, skip intro and so many features that are only found in OTT platforms.

All this stuff we download from the internet, who knows what ripping and compression methods were used. Unless you do this yourself, you are not going to know what information is lost in the process.
You can snoop into the file metadata and see what it was encoded using. It's not rocket science. Also, a REMUX means it was not reencoded, just MUXED in a different container/configuration. No information is lost in the process.
I am not advocating against this. I think most of us do in some form or the other. When you evaluate a product, you need to make sure the source is reliable or good, else there is no point.

Yes, even I stream over the network only. But for that, Plex is a much better way than SMB/DLNA.
Apple TV 4k has much better app quality standards. Also, the interface is way smoother than any other box. I personally use firestick 4k and only 2 apps (Prime Video and Plex) support the auto resolution and framerate option. Rest all will play wrong.

Please create a thread on plex if you don't mind ? Also how to access plex on firestick without Internet?
Sure. To use Plex you'll still require some internet connectivity. It won't stream over the internet (so no data will be used), but it needs some internet for metadata and other stuff. The streaming is done strictly over local network.

I'll create a guide with screenshots and everything tomorrow or day after.

Price is the main factor preventing people from going to BD. In the west, a 4k title usually costs 30 bucks, so you can easily buy a few in a month. But here, it's around 3k. How many can pay this much on a movie here when they can easily enjoy the same content via OTT or torrent?
I find your comment interesting. Its okay to pay well over a 100k for a TV, maybe another 100+k for a sound system to blow your head off (even your neighbors if you feel like it) but we have a problem buying media that costs a fraction of the cost of all your equipment combined! After you/we (not specifically you) spend all this money, we find fault with the picture quality of the TV or the source is not playing quite right or to your satisfaction. You might want to start thinking where the problem is really stemming from.

30 bucks is not little money. It is a lot, no matter where you live.

OTT is fine. I use it a lot too. I am sure that adds another 20,000 INR/year for some who have a multitude of providers.

I am not asking anyone here to start a blu ray collection. That's your call to make. All I am saying is to look at your source and playback system before you point to faults with something else along the chain which could be operating just fine.

Dolby Vision and IMAX are of very specific standards. The former can be enjoyed in the comfort of your home, with a good source. The latter is best in a theater as its more an experience, something no home theater or display can offer.

Sure. To use Plex you'll still require some internet connectivity. It won't stream over the internet (so no data will be used), but it needs some internet for metadata and other stuff. The streaming is done strictly over local network.

Please start a new thread here with screen shots for guiding people like me. (Thank you and Awaiting)

I'd say this is a better guide than I would make

I'd say this is a better guide than I would make

Whenever there is Internet outage, streaming is getting interrupted. Tried adding my local ip address in the network options n plex server .Still it's the same. Anything else needs to be done?

Whenever there is Internet outage, streaming is getting interrupted. Tried adding my local ip address in the network options n plex server .Still it's the same. Anything else needs to be done?
Are the server and the client both on the same subnet and local network. One way to also check is to disable remote access on the server.

For me, the Plex server works fine even after internet outage.

Are the server and the client both on the same subnet and local network. One way to also check is to disable remote access on the server.

For me, the Plex server works fine even after internet outage.
Tried disabling the remote access. Same issue [under list of Ip addresses allowed I entered in this order - Ip4 address /subnet mask] Any other way to check?

Tried disabling the remote access. Same issue [under list of Ip addresses allowed I entered in this order - Ip4 address /subnet mask] Any other way to check?
First: check the global IP address of your server. Just type my ip address on Google.

Second: check the global IP address of the client by the same method.

These two should be the exact same.

Don't fiddle with fixing IP addresses in Plex unless you're using static local IPs.

Yes, I use Plex. I can create a thread explaining how Plex works and how to configure it if you want. It's the best time investment you can make for seamless home entertainment.

You wouldn't happen to know why Plex player would decode a video when a subtitle file is attached to it, would you?

I have my plex server running on an old PC (FX8350 with 8GB RAM) which I use as my plex server. When playing any HDR video (think 30-40GB range), if the file has a subtitle (.sub/.srt makes no difference), the video gets decoded and doesn't pass through.

If I de-mux the sub, then passthrough works flawlessly. Tried adding a seperate sub file but Plex just doesnt like it and decodes the video.

On a note, this works well with Plex on my C9.
Just the plex on my PS5 doesn't (Connected to Toshiba U79).

You wouldn't happen to know why Plex player would decode a video when a subtitle file is attached to it, would you?

I have my plex server running on an old PC (FX8350 with 8GB RAM) which I use as my plex server. When playing any HDR video (think 30-40GB range), if the file has a subtitle (.sub/.srt makes no difference), the video gets decoded and doesn't pass through.

If I de-mux the sub, then passthrough works flawlessly. Tried adding a seperate sub file but Plex just doesnt like it and decodes the video.

On a note, this works well with Plex on my C9.
Just the plex on my PS5 doesn't (Connected to Toshiba U79).
By decoded you mean transcoded right?

You can go in video stream and see the reason it's transcoding. For example, Android phones and boxes use ExoPlayer for decoding media and ExoPlayer currently doesn't fully support SSA/ASS subtitles which are usually used in Anime. Attaching a few screenshots which will help you pinpoint the issue.

In case a particular subtitle isn't supported by the device, Plex will need to burn that in.

Also you can go into Plex settings and see what the current subtitle rendering stuff is. The burn subtitle option should be set to auto rather than always.

It depends on device to device, but SRT and PGS subtitles should be supported by almost every player if your settings are correct. SSA/ASS (alpha based) subtitles are currently only supported in iOS and tvOS, but they currently have this project going for ExoPlayer on GitHub. So android should support SSA/ASS too soon.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210724-124440_Plex~2.png
    Screenshot_20210724-124440_Plex~2.png
    962.4 KB · Views: 19
  • Screenshot_20210724-124530_Plex~2.png
    Screenshot_20210724-124530_Plex~2.png
    237.7 KB · Views: 19
  • Screenshot_20210724-124609_Plex~2.png
    Screenshot_20210724-124609_Plex~2.png
    202.1 KB · Views: 19
I find your comment interesting. Its okay to pay well over a 100k for a TV, maybe another 100+k for a sound system to blow your head off (even your neighbors if you feel like it) but we have a problem buying media that costs a fraction of the cost of all your equipment combined! After you/we (not specifically you) spend all this money, we find fault with the picture quality of the TV or the source is not playing quite right or to your satisfaction. You might want to start thinking where the problem is really stemming from.

30 bucks is not little money. It is a lot, no matter where you live.

OTT is fine. I use it a lot too. I am sure that adds another 20,000 INR/year for some who have a multitude of providers.

I am not asking anyone here to start a blu ray collection. That's your call to make. All I am saying is to look at your source and playback system before you point to faults with something else along the chain which could be operating just fine.

Dolby Vision and IMAX are of very specific standards. The former can be enjoyed in the comfort of your home, with a good source. The latter is best in a theater as its more an experience, something no home theater or display can offer.
does telugu movies available in blu ray?

does telugu movies available in blu ray?
Tamil movies are there in blue ray I know for sure. So Telugu also should be there like Bahubali 2 in blue ray discs. I have just a word of caution. Pls don't order games CD or blue ray discs from Flipkart. They would send just empty plastic covers without discs and you would have to complain and get your refunds. Amazon is okay but Flipkart, DONT EVER order games or blue ray discs - after getting debitted 1000s of rupees, you would have to follow up for refunds. Sheer waste of time.

First: check the global IP address of your server. Just type my ip address on Google.

Second: check the global IP address of the client by the same method.

These two should be the exact same.

Don't fiddle with fixing IP addresses in Plex unless you're using static local IPs.
When I open plex server it goes to the Ip address starting with 127.0.0.1 on my laptop. Firestick Ip address and one which I get in cmd is 192.168.1.x
Global Ip address when I googled -117.193. 32.xxx
Sorry I'm new to all these

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back