Issue with Yamaha RX-V 485+NS-P41 combination.

abhilashkrishn

I have purchased this AVR Yamaha RX-V 485 and their speaker package NS-P41. But the sound output coming from those speakers are low.
I have ran auto setup with YPAO, but not improved. I am getting descent sound only in -21db or higher, but not below that.
Please help me what to do. I can return these products as it's in 10 day refund period. Any better option?

@abhilashkrishn Dont give up so quickly. How big is your room? Does it sound loud enough if played in direct mode? Can you reset everything and do some listening tests without the YPAO? Are the speakers positioned in the right place?

Last edited:
@abhilashkrishn Dont give up so quickly. How big is your room? Does it sound loud enough if played in direct mode? Can you reset everything and do some listening tests without the YPAO? Are the speakers positioned in the right place?

@tuff Thank you for the reply. Room size is average, 16 x 10. In direct mode also, it doesn't sound loud. I have reset everything, it has improved a little. Now I can hear at -24 db. Speakers are positioned at correct place.

I have purchased this AVR Yamaha RX-V 485 and their speaker package NS-P41. But the sound output coming from those speakers are low.
I have ran auto setup with YPAO, but not improved. I am getting descent sound only in -21db or higher, but not below that.
Please help me what to do. I can return these products as it's in 10 day refund period. Any better option?
-21db is correct.AVR usually gets louder above -20 db level.
Also if speakers are new,then give some time so that they can open well.Also you can increase speaker level if you still don't get that level.Speaker cables of good quality also helps.
Yamaha AVR are usually louder at -15db level.

@abhilashkrishn Run YPAO again and check if the distance has been measured correctly. YPAO can be a hit or miss sometimes in my experience. Also make sure you have done the subwoofer crawl to get the best performance from it. I am sure various other members will guide you in the right direction. Will tag few i know who do this extensively. @elangoas , @MaSh , @efernand1

-21db is low volume. There is absolutely no issues with that. It would be considered an issue if you are having to go over 0db to get good effect. My NR series marabtz usually runs at -15 to -10db on movie days in a 16x12 room.

Just make sure all speakers are leveled, sub is not beyond the gain range and left-right speaker gain difference is not over 2-3 db.

MaSh.

Ideal speakers sensitivity levels would be 88db or more.....these may have less sensitivity and hence require more amplification to perform.....

Another most likely reason is YPAO / Audessey setup....these are conservative settings made automatically for levels, equalisation, distance etc......sometimes (rather most of the times) you need to check each speaker level settings and increase the same by 1db.....to get optimal output and performance....do this slowly as you dont want to end up blowing the speakers or AVR.....

Sources too can be the culprit, check the source volume levels......else try other sources.....adjust the levels manually as required.

Thank you all. I agree with @efernand1 @ajuvignesh. This is the same speakers used in YHT set. Hence I have planned to return it.

I'm now planning to purchase speakers+sub woofer.
I could see Taga harmony 606SE got good reviews. Is there any better choice? My budget for speaker+sub is 60k.

With a good bookshelf with decent sensitivity with -30 db itself is good enough and -20db to -10db loud. I think the issue could be low sensitivity of satellite speakers.

Thank you all. I agree with @efernand1 @ajuvignesh. This is the same speakers used in YHT set. Hence I have planned to return it.

I could see Taga harmony 606SE got good reviews. Is there any better choice? My budget for speaker+sub is 60k.
Should be better than those Yamahas. Since you're in Bangalore, I would suggest you auditioning them before purchasing :)

Audition available speakers at various dealers...use the same CD / Movie for demo to draw a reference ...see Bookshelf / Satellite systems which look good, sound great and are within your budget...most important.....get speakers with higher sensitivity and the impedance of 8 ohms....if not then at least 6 ohms....this helps for amps / avrs to survive and drive effectively in the long run and also when used for long hours.....Speaker impedance varies during playback at all frequencies and volume levels ....... tends to dip lower than its actual value....(all technical)...

Make a list of what you liked and share, we will try to narrow it for you to make the final choice!

All the best!

Last edited:
With a good bookshelf with decent sensitivity with -30 db itself is good enough and -20db to -10db loud. I think the issue could be low sensitivity of satellite speakers.

I totally agree with you. So I am returning it and planning to purchase better one. My budget is around 60k. Do you have recommendation?

Please help me what to do.

This is probably a limitation of full range speaker (NS-P41)..

You can always do more for your money..

For 60K ~ 5.1 set-up, i would suggest these models.. Choose based on your flexibility..

Taga Harmony Platinum series speakers either from hifimart (or) amazon.in..

Taga Harmony Platinum S90SL / Taga Platinum Harmony one abt 12K a pair.. Consider two pairs.. One pair for fronts & other for surrounds = 24K

Taga Harmony Platinum C90 SL. center speaker = 9.5K

Subwoofer Taga Hamony TSW 200, a 12inch sub, approx 25 ~ 30K.. You can complete 5.1 set-up..

Audition available speakers at various dealers...use the same CD / Movie for demo to draw a reference ...see Bookshelf / Satellite systems which look good, sound great and are within your budget...most important.....get speakers with higher sensitivity and the impedance of 8 ohms....if not then at least 6 ohms....this helps for amps / avrs to survive and drive effectively in the long run and also when used for long hours.....Speaker impedance varies during playback at all frequencies and volume levels ....... tends to dip lower than its actual value....(all technical)...

Make a list of what you liked and share, we will try to narrow it for you to make the final choice!

All the best!

Thank you very much for the advice @efernand1
These are the some options I am considering.

1. Taga Harmony 606SE speaker set + TSW200 subwoofer.
2. Taga Harmony S90SL+C90SL+TSW 200
3. Polk TL1600 speaker set
4. Klipsch Theater Reference Pack - This is way overpricy, but I have seen it in ubuy for less price.
5. JBL Cinema 610 - I can get it from a friend if want.

Since I am novice in this, I am not sure which one is best out of these. Also, I will be grateful if you could recommend some.
My budget is around 60k. Room size is 16*10. I would use it for both movies and music (50:50).

Last edited:
This is probably a limitation of full range speaker (NS-P41)..

You can always do more for your money..

For 60K ~ 5.1 set-up, i would suggest these models.. Choose based on your flexibility..

Taga Harmony Platinum series speakers either from hifimart (or) amazon.in..

Taga Harmony Platinum S90SL / Taga Platinum Harmony one abt 12K a pair.. Consider two pairs.. One pair for fronts & other for surrounds = 24K

Taga Harmony Platinum C90 SL. center speaker = 9.5K

Subwoofer Taga Hamony TSW 200, a 12inch sub, approx 25 ~ 30K.. You can complete 5.1 set-up..

Thanks for the recommendation. I will update the list.

1. Taga Harmony 606SE speaker set + TSW200 subwoofer.
2. Taga Harmony S90SL+C90SL+TSW 200
3. Polk TL1600 speaker set
4. Klipsch Theater Reference Pack - This is way overpricy, but I have seen it in ubuy for less price.
5. JBL Cinema 610 - I can get it from a friend if want.

Since I am novice in this, I am not sure which one is best out of these. Also, I will be grateful if you could recommend some.
My budget is around 60k. Room size is 16*10. I would use it for both movies and music (50:50).

Sure...give me some time, will get back

Hi,

Here you go.....

1. Taga Harmony 606SE speaker set + TSW200 subwoofer. - Seems to be good value......impedance is 6 ohms.....sensitivity ranges from 88db to 91db.
2. Taga Harmony S90SL+C90SL+TSW 200 - Sensitivity ranges from 87db to 90db......ok in my opinion....
3. Polk TL1600 speaker set - Seems good.....satellite compact system good for movies....music is average.....
4. Klipsch Theater Reference Pack - This is way overpricy, but I have seen it in ubuy for less price. - Not sure how reliable is UBUY......please check
5. JBL Cinema 610 - I can get it from a friend if want. - Stay away...as per specs these are 4 ohms...although AVR is capable of driving them,..better to have 8 or 6 ohms speakers hooked up....

Here is a mix and match.......which will work well for music and movies on your AVR

https://www.ooberpad.com/products/polk-audio-t15-bookshelf-speaker-pair

https://www.polkaudio.com/products/t30

Sub can be either of the following.....

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B075LQ2TNQ...&pf_rd_p=cd818f9c-142a-4b42-ad2c-f0421857aaf5

Or

https://www.amazon.in/Polk-HTS-10-Powered-Subwoofer/dp/B075M34866

Or

http://www.prosonics.in/product/bic-america-pl-200-acoustech-platinum-series-subwoofer/ (I use the same at my place)

Other systems to be considered.....

https://htstore.in/index.php?route=product/product&path=109_57_84&product_id=875

Or

https://www.ooberpad.com/products/telome-pro-15ax-home-theatre-system (Like Bose Jewel Cubes)

Or

https://www.ooberpad.com/collections/home-theater-speakers-package?sort_by=price-ascending

Check the prices from all dealers, ensure there is warranty and GST bill and then purchase....audition where possible......things to keep in mind....8 ohms or 6 ohms....sensitivity 88db or more....speakers should be atleast 20-100 watts max 140 watts.,..

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back