Issues with Optoma 141x or 142x

donjasjit

I give advice as an Optoma 141x projector user-
- Do not buy 141x or 142x for the following reasons
1 My DMD chip is not working after only 1300 hrs. Cost of replacement from Optoma- 30000 rs. Poor quality heat sink for DMD chip is a real problem for Optoma projectors as you will learn from reviews on Amazon.com.
2 Optoma service is abysmal in India. Unresponsive, under qualified technical staff with a perpetual scarcity of replacement parts.

In fact, I have learned that owning a projector is a big risk, so many things can go wrong, the bulb, power supply, dmd chip etc and because service is poor for Optoma, getting things rectified will be an adventure in itself.

Having said all that, I still enjoyed the projector for the 1300 hrs that it worked.

I have been using a Optoma HD 25-LV bought from USA without any problems thus far, for the last year and a half. Have to say I'm very impressed with the projector and have faced no issues.

I have been using Optoma HD141x (sourced from US) since the last 3 years, ran some 500 hrs till date (as use it only for movies and India-Pak Match), no issues whatsoever. Impressed by its performance.

Hope when I reach 1300 Hrs I dont meet the same fate:sad:

I think using a UPS is a must with a projector, which I have been doing since day 1, since proper shut-down is very essential.

How did the chip fail?
And why Rs 30,000 for repair?
There is a chip available on Amazon.com for $125 including shipping. I couldn't find out if it is what you need. I see some videos on YouTube for chip replacement so it may not be a difficult task.

https://www.amazon.com/Projector-1076-6038B-1076-6039B-1076-6138B-Viewsonic/dp/B00E1D07ZA

I have no idea how the chip failed. One day the screen was filled with tiny black dots, then white dots started appearing too. No original company authorized DMD chips are available for $125. Optoma has confirmed to me that repair of my projector will cost upward of 30000 rs.

My only options are sourcing DMD chip from used projectors, available on ebay or getting the chip myself from China. These would cost roughly $150 but both options have a lot of risk with no guarantee of repair. The company has basically washed its hands off my troubles, I am on my own.

The link given above by you is not for 141x projector. The DMD chip name of 141x is 1910-6039E.

Last edited:
I have been using Optoma HD141x (sourced from US) since the last 3 years, ran some 500 hrs till date (as use it only for movies and India-Pak Match), no issues whatsoever. Impressed by its performance.

Hope when I reach 1300 Hrs I dont meet the same fate:sad:

I think using a UPS is a must with a projector, which I have been doing since day 1, since proper shut-down is very essential.

I have used an APC 1100 UPS from the very first day. I live in Chandigarh and the power supply here is decent but even then I put both my projector and media player on UPS.

I hope you never face my problem, I agree with you when the projector works it works very well. I have written many happy posts of how good the projector is in the HD141X megathread.

i have also been using 141x for more than 2 years. i use it to watch everyday, i have packed my TV. seems to work fine so far over 1700 hrs. Here is the chip on aliexpress for 8.2 k, why not get it and ask any electronics/projector service center to replace it instead of going to optoma.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/HOT...lgo_pvid=9fb89fb3-2830-4166-b071-e59631ad0c5a
Thank you so much. I really appreciate it. I have been searching everywhere for the chip. I will take the risk and order it.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back