jamo 606 vs polk tsi 400 vs ms 906

suprateep

hi guys the last few weeks have been hectic of sorts -with all your help i finally managed to get the onkyo 606 (plus hts230 5.1 system as a package) on board along with a panny pv8 plasma.

Now its floor standers for the decent stereo sound and a HTPC/media box (that's at a different thread).

Now the choice has boiled down to (budget around 25-30k)

Jamo 606
MS 906
Polk TSI 400
Whaferdale ???

Personally Jamo sounds weak, the Polk is too harsh paired with my Onkyo, have not heard the MS or the Whaferdales.

Any idea whats is the sound like in these two? And the going prices on these four speakers. I feel i may be taken on a ride on the speaker:rolleyes:

all your choices should fit into your 25-30k buget
i personally would list them as follows with your onkyo
MS 906
warfedale 9.6
Jamo 606
POlk

all your choices should fit into your 25-30k buget
i personally would list them as follows with your onkyo
MS 906
warfedale 9.6
Jamo 606
POlk

i second the above for stereo application.
but since u can afford the diamond 9.6 might as well go for the jamo c405 its bass is tight and greater detail then 9.6,if u like bit of boomy bass then go for 9.6.

i second the above for stereo application.
but since u can afford the diamond 9.6 might as well go for the jamo c405 its bass is tight and greater detail then 9.6,if u like bit of boomy bass then go for 9.6.

what is the difference between the jamo s606 vs jamo c 408. I am getting both at nearly the same price here?

No how to get the MS here in Pune? I have heard lots about this speaker? Is this the best within 30k for the onkyo 606. I like crisp details and already have a decent sub.

what is the difference between the jamo s606 vs jamo c 408. I am getting both at nearly the same price here?

No how to get the MS here in Pune? I have heard lots about this speaker? Is this the best within 30k for the onkyo 606. I like crisp details and already have a decent sub.

well the jamo s606 sounds like as if there is some force field preventing some frequencies,it has a plastic driver the same as the one u find in jamo s506 which cost around 17k,so since u have a sub i suggest u get the S506 if u want to save some cash.
but i strongly suggest u listen to c405,once u listen to it u will know the level of detail missing from the s606,s506.even the bass of c405 comes with authority

and MS906i used to cost 22k ,less then a year ago,but i heard in this forum that some one got a quote of more then 30k recently,IMO not worth so much,the MS906i voice and detail level are great better then jamo s606,S506 but not as good as C405 ,and the bass of MS isnt tight at the same time its not boomy either,and i felt that the MS906i may not be happy with bass at high volume.
and also try looking for Cambridge Audio S70 speakers ,i havent heard them myself ,i have heard its smaller brother the CA s30 bookshelf speakers they have slightly better detail compared to its rival MS902i speakers,i auditioned these 2 speakers just after i auditioned the C405,S606 but i was suprised by these bookshelfs abilty to give a strong details with commanding tight bass.

well the jamo s606 sounds like as if there is some force field preventing some frequencies,it has a plastic driver the same as the one u find in jamo s506 which cost around 17k,so since u have a sub i suggest u get the S506 if u want to save some cash.
but i strongly suggest u listen to c405,once u listen to it u will know the level of detail missing from the s606,s506.even the bass of c405 comes with authority

and MS906i used to cost 22k ,less then a year ago,but i heard in this forum that some one got a quote of more then 30k recently,IMO not worth so much,the MS906i voice and detail level are great better then jamo s606,S506 but not as good as C405 ,and the bass of MS isnt tight at the same time its not boomy either,and i felt that the MS906i may not be happy with bass at high volume.
and also try looking for Cambridge Audio S70 speakers ,i havent heard them myself ,i have heard its smaller brother the CA s30 bookshelf speakers they have slightly better detail compared to its rival MS902i speakers,i auditioned these 2 speakers just after i auditioned the C405,S606 but i was suprised by these bookshelfs abilty to give a strong details with commanding tight bass.

is the c405 a bookshelf spkr? how much does it cost? I am looking for a floorstander with tight bass and good detail.

Suprateep

If you like details mids and highs for that money you might as well listen to the Mezzo 2 Bookshelves if you are open to listening to as well they are fantastic speakers for the money at around 26K if you already have a sub then u shud definitely audition these.

Tannoy Custom Floorstander is around 30K as well should have a look at that too.

The C405 from Jamo are floorstanders. They are part of the Concert series from Jamo which are somewhere in the middle of thier range. I have heard the C407 ( bigger brother with one addtnl bass driver) and they are good.

Suprateep

If you like details mids and highs for that money you might as well listen to the Mezzo 2 Bookshelves if you are open to listening to as well they are fantastic speakers for the money at around 26K if you already have a sub then u shud definitely audition these.

Tannoy Custom Floorstander is around 30K as well should have a look at that too.

Pune - where do i audition these?

The guys from MS in mumbai could not arrange for a audition here in Pune for me.Anyway I would have preferred floor standers as the requirement is high fidelity wrt mids and highs. Tight bass too is required - boomy bass is not to my taste.

I never had Tannoy in my list? Do they pair well with the Onkyo as its a bright amp

I jus checked the Mordaunt Short website it has got dealers all over India except Pune:mad: I guess only way to listen to these is to goto Mumbai and do the audition. If you can do that you can get to audition a whole host of speakers with different amps members from Mumbai can direct you regarding those.

Mezzo would fit your bill if you are into highs and mids and jus enough bass.

About Tannoy pairing with Onkyo I do not have an idea need to check with the experts on the forum regarding that. I just suggested the Tannoy coz it comes around your budget for floorstanders.

I jus checked the Mordaunt Short website it has got dealers all over India except Pune:mad: I guess only way to listen to these is to goto Mumbai and do the audition. If you can do that you can get to audition a whole host of speakers with different amps members from Mumbai can direct you regarding those.

Mezzo would fit your bill if you are into highs and mids and jus enough bass.

About Tannoy pairing with Onkyo I do not have an idea need to check with the experts on the forum regarding that. I just suggested the Tannoy coz it comes around your budget for floorstanders.

thats what i thought - Tannoy is bright and goes along well with Denon or Marantz.

Onkyo is bright itself - needs sedate speakers.

Anyway i got a quote for Polk monitor 50 for around 18k - are they any good.

This was a pair of bright speakers, good for movies and though it was bright to my liking in music - a change of speaker wires did the trick. The polk actually sounded pretty good with the highs and the mids. Bass was low though. For 18k is it a deal?

If the preference is for a floortstander at this price, then do look at the Acoustic Energy Neo 3. That is a warmer speaker than, say, Mordaunt Short or even Wharfedale. I do not know if it will pair well with Onkyo though.

Many members here seem to have paired their Wharfedales with Onkyo without any issues. So, the Diamond 9.5 would be a safe option to pursue. And this will be far better than either the Tsi or Monitor series of Polk and even the MS 906i (in my mind).

Of course a bookshelf at around the same price will be the best buy but it would mean that you are sacrificing a bit on the bass front.

Where can I get Jamo S 506 for 17 k ?

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back