Jamo S 606 Floorstanding speaker

Ravi

Hi

I am a new entrant to this forum. I was recently viewing the Jamo S 606 Floorstander and I liked it a lot.

The dealer wants 25 K for it.

My query to you all experts out there is

Is this price ok? Have any of you had any experience with this speaker. What shoud be the amplifier power necessary to drive this. The following is the specs.

Please advise and many thanx.

Specs
System Type 3-way bassreflex
Woofer (mm/in) 203 / 8
Midrange (mm/in) 2 x 127 / 5
Tweeter (mm/in) 25 / 1
Power (W, long/short term) 130 / 210
Sensitivity (dB, 2.8V/1m) 89
Frequency Range (Hz) 42 - 20,000
Impedance (Ohm) 6
Weight (kg/lb) 24.1 / 53.1
Product dimensions (mm/in, HxWxD) 1080 x 190 x 345 / 42.5 x 7.5 x 13.6
Overall dimensions (mm/in, HxWxD) 1110 x 260 x 345 / 43.7 x 10.2 x 13.6
Finishes High Glass Black, Black Ash, White Ash or Dark Apple

Ravi, what other speakers have you heard other than the Jamo? If you are yet to try out other options, please do surely before you decide on the Jamo S606. I do not have personal experience with this speaker, but the Jamo S series dont seem to be favoured a lot.

Just as a general advice,

1)consider speaker-amp combo rather than any particular speaker alone. Still better is to consider source-speaker-amp combo.

2) as far as possible see to it that the room conditions of the place of audition are close to your own listening room. Otherwise what sounds great in a well treated audition room, sounds very disappointing at home.

I have heard jamo s series towers(cant remember exact model) few years back paired with Denon AVR & I loved the sound. In fact that was when I was introduced to hifi world.

Last edited:
"Jamo S 606 Floorstanding speaker"

You mean the pair of FS for 25K? I recently had seen in E-Zone in Central Hyderabad the whole 5.0 of Jamo S 606 available for 25K.

Anyone from Hyd can check it out.

Cheers!

thanx to all of you for your very useful suggestions. Though I had never showed interest in jamo earlier, this one speaker caught my ears and eyes. The kind of music which I listen to, largely instrumental (santoor) and lounge music seemed just right for this speaker.

And I am not planning any upgrade for the next several years if I do go ahead with this one.

So the next few days will be " should I" or "should I not" for me.

But thanx a ton anyway.

Ravi

which flower will you use for "should i or should i not"? use vinca. You will get a fast answer. :D Avoid sunflower. Too many petals.

I was recently listening to fusion album of Rahul Sharma and Kenny G on my Paradigm M7V6 (powered by Onkyo 8030 and fed by Onkyo BD SP 308). They reproduce a majestic sound for such music.

Jaudere (hey... I got your name right once again....) is absolutely right about listening conditions. The best way to audition a stereo setup would be in a normal room.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

thanx guys. Will do as suggested.A little bird has whispered into my ears just this evening that the Jamo s 606 is mainly for cinema and not so great for audio.This too is working on my mind furiously.

Maybe I will look at other speakers too, that is for sure.

You all have been wonderful in at least ensuring that I did my thinking and research before taking any decisive steps.

cheers

just in case you are all wondering how come I am responding in R.Narayanan's name, (he is my friend and a fellow hifivsion mate), my earlier response was from his computer.(as well as this one)

Ravi

I had a very long demo session of this speaker.
If you like bass, you can go ahead.
I felt, it has a poor built.Materials used are cheap.Take a closer look.
I went with Sonodyne Sonus 2605v2 after auditioning.It was much more balanced for highs, mids and lows.
You can get much more if you shell out more.But at this price, another FLS would be Wharfedale Diamond 9.6.But if the whole 5.0 setup is available at this price, it's a steal anyday.It retails at 45,000.

thank you dr.kaushik.Though I must confess to liking what I heard from this speaker in the begining I had doubts lurking all along (which was my reason to bring it up before you all). The Diamond 9.6 is a good speaker and you are right (it retails at 45K). And I was asked for 25K just for the jamo speakers (pair) and not for the entire HT system.

My mind is made up. I am looking at alternatives.

Many thanx

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back