Jaton, Usher, Adcam, Sunfire

rise

Just got some offers on amps and I was wondering if anyone is familiar with any of the following brands. I prefer smooth warm natural sound. Averse to bright and digital sound signatures.

Brands/Models are
Jaton Operreta, Usher r 6.0, Adcam 6706, Sunfire Grand Cinema

Seems like pre processors are major expenses. Anything out there that takes HDMI and gets the job done relatively inexpensively?

The Jaton Operatta is a bloody good amp from a not so well known company. It is exactly what you are looking for if you mean natural sound. It will do equally well in music and movies. I had it for a while and it sounds very very close to my McCormack DNA and exceeds it in detailing.

How does it compare to Sunfire?

Sunfires are great for HT. Not very musical though. If your setup is purely for HT then it makes sense. But don't try playing music through them. I'm not very impressed by newer adcoms as well. Some of the older ones are legendary though like the GFA-555.

If you can get Aragons, they are very nice amps.

Agree with ROC , The sunfire are good for HT , but on a brighter side., If you like your music to be little forward then you will like the sunfire. Adcom as again ROC said , the older models are much better then the latest one. Also try the Brystons if you like the Neutral sound. BTW whats your speaker and source.

Speaker Is Dynaudio 82. Source undecided. Was considering either a either a ps3 or an oppo. Told buy someone its almost impossible to hear the difference between the 2.

Don't like Bright amps and prefer musical amps that almost sound like tubes. Which of the ones discussed will best fit the bill?

Also am getting a CA 540r fairly cheap in mumbai so might pick it up for the processor receiver part to start. Any thoughts on it driving Dyn 82 at 4 ohm.

One forum said they are good at 4 ohm another said not...

Also have an option to get a Rotel pre power combo

Are the rest of the channels based on Audience as well? You'd need some serious muscle to drive them in that case. That 540R has absolutely no chance.

Have bought the rest of the channels but thinking either audience or canton or Wharfeis....

I heard the speakers playing a NAD 775 which is rated at 100x7 and it was way loud! Too loud. Therefore the the 80X6 of the 540 seems fine unless the NAD is higher current and more conservatively rated.

ALso looked at the back of a few different receivers and noticed seperate preouts for each speaker....I was expecting one preout....

SO is it standard to connect eaach speaker seperately from the processor to the power AMP?

I connected the CA Azur 540 r and it seems to be doing fairly well powering the Dyn 82's. A lot better than a higher rated Yam did just the other day. I plan on getting a power amp behind it to really drive em. Anyone with a power amp or tube amp for sale please contact me.

Thanks

I heard the speakers playing a NAD 775 which is rated at 100x7 and it was way loud! Too loud. Therefore the the 80X6 of the 540 seems fine unless the NAD is higher current and more conservatively rated.

Yes, NAD does mention their power conservatively and truthfully. Please bear in mind that most AVR manufacturers play with words. For example they may say 80 watts into 6 channels with two channels driven. What this means is that with all channels driven, the power will drop dramatically. They may also say xx watts tested at xxxx frequency. What this means is that the same amp may not be able to deliver ample power at all frequencies.

Companies such as NAD seem to be more truthful. If they say 100 into 7 channels, they will usually deliver 100 watts into each and every channel even when you drive all channels.

Generally driving all channels may not be required as very few movies have sound that need high power in all channels. But when there are certain scenes that do, then the amp has to be able to deliver.

Also looked at the back of a few different receivers and noticed seperate preouts for each speaker....I was expecting one preout....

SO is it standard to connect each speaker seperately from the processor to the power AMP?

I think you are getting confused between analogue and digital connections. A digital connection can carry multiple channels of audio data. An analogue channel can carry only one. A pre-out is always analogue.

Most power amplifiers have very little or no processing capabilities. They just take the given input and amplify it. Thus all processing including pre-amplification and DAC have to be done by the sound processor. The data that goes to a power amplifier is always analogue. Thus you will have as many analogue pre-outs as you have channels. Remember, even the Point 1 in an AVR that goes to the sub is a kind of pre-out focussed on low frequencies.

Cheers

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back