JBL 9.1 Dolby Atmos Soundbar Is it Worth the price ?

seeshyam

I was eagerly waiting to update my Yamaha HTR 3066 hometheatre package for Dolby Atmos and 4K HDR movies . Shortlisted JBL 9.1 as it will come inside my budget of 80000 . Is it worth upgrading ?

Hi, were u able to take the demo ?
I had visited Harmon store day before and took demo of Enchant 1300 sound bar (no atmos) which had good effect but couldn’t demo jbl 9.1 due to short of time, do post your review.

Please do more auditions before buying anything.
Because you will be able to hear other brands and may be get some more discount.

I was eagerly waiting to update my Yamaha HTR 3066 home theatre package for Dolby Atmos and 4K HDR movies . Shortlisted JBL 9.1 as it will come inside my budget of 80000 . Is it worth upgrading ?

A discrete 5.1/ATMOS always performs better than a virtualized set-up. I wouldn't spend 80K on a sound bar but will build a dedicated system in a phased manner as and when I have budget.

Hi, were u able to take the demo ?
I had visited Harmon store day before and took demo of Enchant 1300 sound bar (no atmos) which had good effect but couldn’t demo jbl 9.1 due to short of time, do post your review.

Good day ,

I had got a demo for JBL 5.1 soundbar and it was nice . JBL 9.1 we have shortage of product here in cochin. Also Hard to find for demo of soundbars here

Please do more auditions before buying anything.
Because you will be able to hear other brands and may be get some more discount.

Hi , auditions are available for Home theatre packages only here... Soundbars it is hard to find

I have the JBL3.1 soundbar in my guest room. I think the subwoofer is same as all higher models. So comments can be taken as relative

1. subwoofer is very boomy with a peaking response. sounds powerful and impactful but not accurate
  2. There is a "Hole" (drooping) response in the upper bass as the transition to the soundbar from the sub is far from perfect
  3. Music sounds extremely artificial but again, the bass is present in full measure making it impactful.
  4. for movies, its actually quite good, dialogs are intelligible. and the action movies sound very "bose demo room like" if you know what I mean.
  5. surround modes sound very artificial. the older Yamaha soundbars I have seen before were far fore convincing
  6. Remote is very poor and needs to be pointed and particular angle to be effective. Buttons dont work to well with the romote
  7. JBL ASS is very suspect in MMR. dont know about other cities

Since I was using this with an apple tv I tried two other solutions using airplay, both of which were immensely better ( i need a simple solution for guests)

1. Apple home pod in mono - much much cleaner sound, better bass at low volume (home pod is volume limited) (did not try stereo but I know that would have been far better)
2. B&W zeppelin air using optical - fantastic sound and played quite loud.

My soundbar will probably be up for sale (though I know this is not setting a good case for resale value)

If I had to do it again, these are only 2 soundbars I would consider

1. Sennheiser ambeo
2. B&W formation bar.

Of course this is on general audio quality, which I feel would be similar to the one you are contemplating. there is a convenience to a soundbar solution (which is why I purchased in the first place) but never expect it to match an equivalent discrete set up. In sum, unless you are here on HFV for the sole purpose of taking this advice, (ie, you do have audio interests) I would say that do not buy the soundbar. buy a discrete setup step by step.

I agree with @kapvin

I was in the same boat and tried to get an audition of Bar 9.1 but could not find it in stock anywhere. And then I was not fully convinced to shell out 80k for a "sound bar". So now I have upped the budget a little and looking for a discrete setup.

I am also in the market for bar 9.1 in Hyderabad. I want to keep my living room simple, so not going for a dedicated HT setup. The bar fits for me.

Any feedback really useful to make a decision.

I am also in the market for bar 9.1 in Hyderabad. I want to keep my living room simple, so not going for a dedicated HT setup. The bar fits for me.

Any feedback really useful to make a decision.
I demoed bar 5.1, which has the same sub but no atmos. The surround effect was pretty good for a soundbar. For 75k approx, there is nothing better in the market that has Atmos.

I also demoed the bar 5.1, music and bass was decent. But I did not find voice and dialogues that clear to be honest.

May be I am used to the bose 700 soundbar and its superb dialogue clarity.

Dear All ,

Thanks all for your Quick Replies.
Finally i have made my mind to move for a discrete setup.
Soundbar in long run can cause trouble , JBL's being wireless rear speakers battery can be depleted in future.
I have finalized Paradigms SE 3000F Floor standers and Polk Audio CsiA4 center as first step with HTS 10 Sub.
Any suggestions for my setup are always welcome.

Cheers Bro's

Dear All ,

Soundbar in long run can cause trouble , JBL's being wireless rear speakers battery can be depleted in future.
I have finalized Paradigms SE 3000F Floor standers and Polk Audio CsiA4 center as first step with HTS 10 Sub.

Cheers Bro's
Wow, that's a huge jump.

Which AVR have you finalised

Dear All ,

Cheers Bro's
Great. Excellent choice. Damages?

I also heard good reviews about Polk audio S55, but yet to get a demo. Will be getting this saturday.
Also i have got the quote for Paradigm Monitor series(SE 3000F) in less price than S55. Anyways i am very eager to listen to S55 on saturday and will finalize based on the output.

By biggest concern is in AVR department. im yet to finalise Marantz SR 5015 , being a new model it cost nearly a lakh.(94000)
I want to reduce the price of AVR also so that my wallet does not have holes after entire purchase.
Finalised below in the list. Please help to select optimum product

1) Yamaha RX V 685 - 52000/-
2) Pioneer VSX 934 - 55000/-
3) Marantz SR 5014 (discontinued) that why opted for SR 5015 - 94000/-
4) Denon x2600 - worse case as im an Yamaha user for the past 8 yrs.- 69000/-

I also heard good reviews about Polk audio S55, but yet to get a demo. Will be getting this saturday.
Also i have got the quote for Paradigm Monitor series(SE 3000F) in less price than S55. Anyways i am very eager to listen to S55 on saturday and will finalize based on the output.

By biggest concern is in AVR department. im yet to finalise Marantz SR 5015 , being a new model it cost nearly a lakh.(94000)
I want to reduce the price of AVR also so that my wallet does not have holes after entire purchase.
Finalised below in the list. Please help to select optimum product

1) Yamaha RX V 685 - 52000/-
2) Pioneer VSX 934 - 55000/-
3) Marantz SR 5014 (discontinued) that why opted for SR 5015 - 94000/-
4) Denon x2600 - worse case as im an Yamaha user for the past 8 yrs.- 69000/-
Price for Denon X2600H is too high. You can get it under 50k.

Last edited:
Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back