JBL ES90 Loudspeakers for Yamaha RXV661

sumitro

I recently bought a Yamaha RXV 661 7.1 receiver. Continuous power output per channel 90watt. I am planning to go for speakers (stereo only). If I go for the JBL ES90 loudspeakers which has a 110w(continuous) , 440 watt peak output will my receiver handle the power or will the speaker trip. Please advise if there are alternative brands/models(floor-standers) I can go for which matches my receiver power. i like the punchy base on the JBLs. Can someone help me out.

the yamaha will be able to drive the speakers if it is 90w continuous at 8 ohms. whats your budget. check the wharfedales as well

Sumitro,

If you are very keen on the JBL, the 661 supports 'assignable amplifiers for bi-amp connection'. If you, ultimately, are ready to stick with a 5.1 system, you can bi-amp the speakers using the front L&R, and the Rear L&R.

Please read through the 661 manual carefully, and see if will work.

Cheers

Thanks Venkatcr for your input.
However,I donot plan to go for 5.1 at this point. My preference is pure stereo for which I have shortlisted the JBL ES90. Will my receiver RXV661 with 90w per channel be able to drive the floorstanders without tripping.

However,I donot plan to go for 5.1 at this point. My preference is pure stereo for which I have shortlisted the JBL ES90. Will my receiver RXV661 with 90w per channel be able to drive the floorstanders without tripping.

going purely by specifications i dont see any reason for it to clip.

How much you paid for 661.?Why didn't you go for RX-663 instead of 661.I use 661 with Wh-9.6 for 2 ch. stereo. But it doesn't give punchy bass at good volume or even reasonable bass at low volume levels. I think this AVR cant drive smartly speakers with huge power like 9.6 or ES 90/ ES 100.Take audition with avr before buy.
regards
Ajithlal

However,I do not plan to go for 5.1 at this point. My preference is pure stereo for which I have shortlisted the JBL ES90. Will my receiver RXV661 with 90w per channel be able to drive the floorstanders without tripping.

I am not sure you understood what I wrote. Using the amplifier that usually power the rear L&R channels, you can 'literally double' the power to the front speakers by bi-amping them. I say literally as the exact power that is available will depend upon a lot of factors. But with bi-amping, you should have more than enough power to drive the ES90 comfortably. And by driving the woofer, and mid and high frequencies you should add a lot of clarity as well as good power for the punch you are looking for.

If the dealer has a demo unit, it might make sense to try the speakers with your AVR before cutting the cheque. But I don't see any issues.

Cheers

Thanks. I got the point now.
Meanwhile, I also listended to Tannoy Fusion F4 and quite liked their top end but it is a 2 way design offered at 36K.
Should i opt for it or do I also consider the Wharfedale9.6 which is a 3 way design. Can you please suggest.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back