Jriver audio settings

msankadi

Hi

I just downloaded jriver to try with my audio setup

Intel nuc pc to yamaha htr 3072 via hdmi
I am streaming tidal through bubble upnp to jriver.

There are some output settings in the application I need your help with

1. It is capable of padding my audio files from 48khz to 96khz and even higher. Should I let them play at inherent level or should I upsample it to 96khz?what are the advantages and disadvantages?

2. I have a 5.1 setup but most of the music is in stereo. Should i use jriver to mix audio and output it in 5.1 channel format or should I ask it to output stereo only? I then use the 5 ch stereo mode on my avr to listen to the music.

3. Are there any other settings on the application I should learn about? I don't have a dac

1. It is capable of padding my audio files from 48khz to 96khz and even higher. Should I let them play at inherent level or should I upsample it to 96khz?what are the advantages and disadvantages?

2. I have a 5.1 setup but most of the music is in stereo. Should i use jriver to mix audio and output it in 5.1 channel format or should I ask it to output stereo only? I then use the 5 ch stereo mode on my avr to listen to the music.

1. Padding is harmless. If your AVR shows correct input bitrate when padded to a higher bitrate then you may do it. However, SQ is likely to not change. Upsampling can both improve or worsen the SQ. You really need to experiment and see which one you like better.

2. Upmixing to 5.1 is again a matter of personal preference. Most people will not recommend upmixing. The logic being - 2 channel is meant to be heard as 2-channel. Which is in deed sound logic. If you're happy with 2-channel sound the way it was meant why change it.

But at times you don't want perfection, you want fun. In that case, you can try upmixing. But it will not start sounding like a genuine 5.1 mixed track.

Most music is produced to be used as a stereo product. But in some cases it is different. For instance, music ripped from SACDs, DVDs, BDs. If the source is genuinely multi-channel, it's a different thing. Artificial 5.1 channel doesn't make much sense.

Most AVRs come with upmixing feature in built. In that case, you may not need to do it at the media center level. You could as well do it within the AVR.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back