JRiver User Discussion

I had a glance through "What's new in 30" and felt that most of the new developments were around video. My primary use is for audio, so i have avoided going for the upgrades (I have 26).

@MIOM : would you say that theres anything worth upgrading for from an audio only standpoint ?

I had a glance through "What's new in 30" and felt that most of the new developments were around video. My primary use is for audio, so i have avoided going for the upgrades (I have 26).

@MIOM : would you say that theres anything worth upgrading for from an audio only standpoint ?
I guess it would depend on the device it's paired with. Personally, I've not noticed any discernable audio difference, but I suppose that also a testament as to how good the app is. Or how it's used. I have a high-end USB DAC that does a lot of things MC offers - filtering, oversampling, native DSD/Hi-Res support.

Anyway, for me, I think the added features are what's improving with the app. It now has to ability to scan your files and determine if they are high resolution files, if you they will convert them to 24bit files. There's also support for lyrics (though this may be in 25). Also, Spotlight has been added to give you information on artists and disc. There are other features, but honestly, I've never explored them all as I like to keep things simple so the work without issue or fuss. That's me.

Sorry, I can't be more detailed oriented because as I've said out the box no discernible difference in sound, and I've not explored all the under the hood feature added. All that said, the biggest reason I like to keep my software up to date is compatibility with new OS's, especially since I'm running Windows 11.

I really would suggest you visit the links I've posted to see if anything in there is of interest to you. Also keep in mind, you're now 5 versions behind so some changes/addition may not be reflected in 30. BTW, I also don't upgrade to each, and every version released, I usually skip a version or two before upgrading. I was running 28 for the longest before I got the offer to get 30 for free with the purchase of 29. However, 30 was already about to be released anyway - I only had 28 for two months before 30 got released. MC29 only costs $23 and change (upgrade) with 30 being free.

jaiwant_alex No need to wait for any discount to try any version of JRiver.

Simply dowload, install & use free for 15 days.

JRiver does not take your credit card details before commencing your Fully Working 15 day trial period.

You can also similtanously install multiple versions of JRiver on your computer and use them to A - B them.

Incidentally, to my ears, the Sound of JRiver has been getting a touch leaner with every version after JR 26.... (I have not compared JR25 and earlier)

@jaiwant_alex,

Completely agree with @IndianEars, do the 15-day free trial. It won't uninstall or overwrite your current version. And then simply backup your library from MC25 and import it into MC30. Now you can do a comparison.

Let us know :)

@jaiwant_alex,

Completely agree with @IndianEars, do the 15-day free trial. It won't uninstall or overwrite your current version. And then simply backup your library from MC25 and import it into MC30. Now you can do a comparison.

Let us know :)

Yes , i will check the free trial. I have the Linux version, and saw on the forum that 30 for Linux has some early builds available. Will try once the stable release is out

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back