Kef 105.1 speaker recap and internal wiring

kbhuvi

Hello everyone

I have the Kef 105.1 the original 105 reference speaker. The previous owner had recapped the crossover with Desai Electronics metalized polyester (Dec/mer) capacitors. Also the insulation of the internal wiring has started to break/peel off.

I plan to recap with the kit from falcon acoustics. Although they supply Alcap electrolytes, the same are recommended as the drivers were voiced keeping in mind electrolytic caps.

Does any FM have experience with Dec/mer capacitors as crossover caps? Should I go for the falcon acoustic kit?

Since the internal wiring is in a bad shape, please suggest wires /guage for replacing the internal wiring. Something that can do justice to the drivers without burning a hole in the pocket.

Crossover photos for reference are attached.

IMG-20201102-WA0008.jpgIMG_20201102_093431.jpg

Regards

The 105.1 had metalized polyester caps and electrolytic caps both. The DecMer ones, being metalized polyester are fine as replacements for the metalized polyester caps so you probably can let them be. The electrolytic/s, if not over 10+ years old should be fine as they are. If they need replacing, replace them with low ESR electrolytic ones from Keltron (I see that they have a new range of low ESR caps).

Thanks @keith_correa sir.

There is no way of knowing the age of the electrolyte capacitors. Maybe I can leave them alone for the time being.

Any suggestions on the internal wiring sir.

Regards

You're welcome! And, please, call me just "Keith" - drop the "sir". :)
Any suggestions on the internal wiring sir.

Regards
One twisted pair taken from CAT5 cable for the tweeter.
Twisted pair using 2.5 sq. mm. of house wiring wire from Polycab/Finolex/Anchor for the woofer.
Twisted pair using 1.5 sq. mm. of house wiring wire from Polycab/Finolex/Anchor for the mid.
That is what I would use but then, I'm cheap. :p

If you want better based on beliefs/facts, try here - https://theaudiocrafts.com/cables-andamp-plugs/speaker-cables.

And check the underside of the crossover boards and if not clean, clean them with IPA.

BTW, you are lucky to own a pair of those speakers. Enjoy them!!!

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back