KEF iQ5 vs Monitor-Audio BR5 vs Wharfedale 9.5

Well I have gone ahead and purchased the SW 150. That was the only sub I could find of the few that I auditioned that I liked. I auditioned the Paradigm, Polk, Q-Acoustics, and locally made Torvin. My friend had given me a limited budget.

I shall be setting up the system this weekend, and testing and fine tuning the sub, speakers, and the AVR. I will post my findings by end of next week.

Cheers

Well I have gone ahead and purchased the SW 150. That was the only sub I could find of the few that I auditioned that I liked. I auditioned the Paradigm, Polk, Q-Acoustics, and locally made Torvin. My friend had given me a limited budget.

I shall be setting up the system this weekend, and testing and fine tuning the sub, speakers, and the AVR. I will post my findings by end of next week.

Cheers

Since you have auditioned Paradigm, Polk, Q-Acoustics subwoofers can you give a review and its comparision with SW150. Also can you tell the price of SW150.

I see that you are busy setting up HT for your friend. You can also share the HT components that you have finalised/purchased, the reasons and the cost. It will be helpful for our forum members.

Thanks,
Prakash.

Since you have auditioned Paradigm, Polk, Q-Acoustics subwoofers can you give a review and its comparision with SW150. Also can you tell the price of SW150.

Well I was looking for a sub under 20K. One common problem I found with the Polk, Paradigm, and Q-Acoustics was their reverberation, and boominess. When playing a tabla or a drum, the notes are not sharp and end up dragging with a resonating sound. I prefer a sub to be have fast response - it should create the sound quickly and the sound die quickly. I found the SW 150 to be better than these, but I am afraid that also need some tuning in tersm fo frequency setting and amplitude. That is what I will be doing over the next few weeks.

I see that you are busy setting up HT for your friend. You can also share the HT components that you have finalised/purchased, the reasons and the cost. It will be helpful for our forum members.

Yes, a very close friend of mine from Coimbatore requested me to set up a complete HT system for him within 1 lakh excluding the TV. He has purchased a 46 inch Series 5 Samsung LCD. The equipment I have already procured are the following:

1. Pioneer 610 DVD Player (Roughly 5,000, from Dubai)
2. Yamaha 663 AVR (40,000)
3. 4 x PSB Alpha B1s (30,000)
4. PSB CI Center speaker (12,500)
5. Wharfedale SW150 sub. (18,500)
6. 2 x High Speed HDMI cable from Eagle (3400)
7. MC 60 Audio Cable from Eagle (1000)
8. Component Cable from Bandridge (600)
9. ARSW23 Sub Woofer Cable from DAC (2500)
10. 70 meters of SPK 14 speaker cable from DAC (5000)

AVR
I auditioned the Denon 1909, the Yamaha 663 and the Onkyo 606. I liked the sound of the Yamaha 663 best for music and movies. It does not have scaling. The Pioneer 610 has scaling or DVD. Since my friend travels abroad a lot, I have requested him to get a 1080P external scaler in 6 months or so. That will take care of TV signals.

DVD Player
My friend and his family are not great connoisseurs of movies. I demonstrated the Oppo 983 and the Pioneer 696 at home. He decided the quality of the Pioneer is enough.

Sub
Explained above

Cables
I wanted speaker cables at roughly 50 rupees a meter. I auditioned a number of cables from DAC, MX, and Bandridge. The MX was out as I found it below par. There was not much difference between the DAC and the Bandridge, though I found the Bandridge to be 'brighter'. For fun, we also compared DAC to a pair of cables costing 1,00,000. I found the difference to be about 10% in terms of quality. I finally got the DAC spekaer cable at roughly 70 meter.

Speakers
My friend wanted bookshelf speakers only. I auditioned the Wharfedale 9.2, Epos, Canton Movie 60CX, and the PSB Alpha's. I found the PSB Alpha's to have the maximum clarity, to be musical, and handle low frequencies well. It also fitted our budget well.

I must sincerely thank two wonderful individual for helping me here.

One is Raghu of Decibel who was instrumental in most of my choices. He would patiently switch amps, cables, and discs, and then argue with me which was better. I found his knowledge and understanding to be way above many people I have met. He never tried to push a sale, though I ended up buying 90% of the equipment from him. He kept pulling my leg saying I am brand conscious and literally forced me to have a blind test of the MX cables. He is really patient and fun to work with.

The other is our own member TheVortex who was kind enough to loan his PSB Alphas for me to audition. It was when we met at Decibel that TheVortex and I realized we had worked together before. Thank you so much Bala.

I shall post a detailed audition of this set shortly as well as post a comparison of the Oppo 983 and Pioneer 610. I may add a CD player to this combination, and I am discussing this currently with Raghu.

Cheers

Way to go Venkat!
A long time ago, i used to say " I loved friends who had girls as their friends"
Your friend must be really lucky to have you choose his set up for him.. As they say here in the Forum " I love friends who love their music as much as their friends"

Chill!

I have requested him to get a 1080P external scaler in 6 months or so. That will take care of TV signals.

Cheers

Thanks Venkat for your explanation. 1080P external scaler is an information to me. I was always looking for 1080P upscaling AVR's(damn costly ;). can you throw more light on this external scaler? what would be the cost(in U.S).

Also Wharfedale has 6.5" drivers frequency of 45-24 khz, 100w RMS. Whereas PSB alpha B1 has 5.25"inch driver, freq range 64-21Khz, 80W rms. Surprised to see it beat Wharfedale on low frequency.

Regards,Prakash

Last edited:
Thanks Venkat for your explanation. 1080P external scaler is an information to me. I was always looking for 1080P upscaling AVR's(damn costly ;). can you throw more light on this external scaler? what would be the cost(in U.S).

Well external scalers are expensive something from 1000 to 3000 USD. Some of the popular products are the following:

Also Wharfedale has 6.5" drivers frequency of 45-24 khz, 100w RMS. Whereas PSB alpha B1 has 5.25"inch driver, freq range 64-21Khz, 80W rms. Surprised to see it beat Wharfedale on low frequency.

I did not say the Alphas beat the Wharfedales on low frequency. I said they handled low frequency well enough to to suit my ears for this particular requirement. My taste in movies and music is slightly different. I am chasing a low frequency sound that is sharp, very fast with no reverberation and boominess. I felt the Alphas would do this well when paired with a good sub by not going too low themselves, and at the same time have enough volume to create a good sound stage.

Remember I use Wharfedales myself. I like them also for different reasons. The Wharfedales create a large sound stage and handle low frequencies very well. The 9.2 can be used very comfortably for music even without a sub as long as you are not looking to shake your behinds.

But in this particular case I looked at some sub/satellite systems that disappointed me. Then I started looking at bookshelves that are musical, not too bright, and would work together with a sub well. For this particular requirement (and, of course, budgetary constraints). I felt the Alphas would perform well. The Alphas are cheaper as compared to the Wharfedales, and fitted the budget well.

Cheers

Last edited:
Hi, I'm new here, but I would also be interested in the final price from Audiopeople.

One more thing: You guys are making me change my mind over and over about the speakers I should choose..
I was decided on KEF, then I've read about BR5, then the "of course" recomandation for RS6.. but it's kinda blowing my budget.
If someone could guide me in the right direction:
My target is to build a decent 5.1 audio system, although music fidelity IS first priority (and the audiophiles out there screaming go for 2.0..), because I'm sure that after I will be satisfied with the movies anyway.
I don't want to invest in a separate source sometimes soon (maybe only after I develop more my "listening" skills), hence I consider my PC as the multimedia content station. I have a decent video card(8800GT) and a decent audio card (Xonar D2X). Also the content will not be always only high quality (mainly flac, but also considering the old mp3..).
So, with a budget of about 1.2 lack, what would be your recomandations in the current description ? (speakers + sub + AVR)

AVR: Not decided yet between Yamaha 663 and Denon 1909 (but leaning towards the later)
Option 1:
Speakers: IQ5 + IQ2C + IQ1 + PSW 2500

Option 2:
MA BR5 + cen + sorround + sub

Option 3:
Mordaunt-Short 906i & Co

Option 4:
Should I consider Wharfedale ?

Hoping I didn't ofended the "gurus" out there, looking forward to your answer.

Thanks,
Luc.

PS: One more thing, I jumping from the "noise makers" Genius 5.1...
PS2: forgot to specify that I'd really like the fronts to be floorstanders

Last edited:
Luc, since you are in Chennai, who don't you come to my house after about a week and listen to a set up I am putting together now for a friend? The money I have spent on the system I am installing now is about the same as your budget.

Cheers

I consider my PC as the multimedia content station. I have a decent video card(8800GT) and a decent audio card (Xonar D2X). Also the content will not be always only high quality (mainly flac, but also considering the old mp3..).

Luchianull,

For music - Just get Audioengine A5 powered speakers. They will be around 17K and perfect for playing the content you have in mind and the PC as a source.

For movies - Venkat and others will give much better options for a 5.1/7.1 HT system.

Luc, since you are in Chennai, who don't you come to my house after about a week and listen to a set up I am putting together now for a friend? The money I have spent on the system I am installing now is about the same as your budget.
Cheers
Wow, fast reply and soon Very useful ;). Just let me know when and where to be, and I'll be there. Out of curiosity (so I can do my homework) what are the components you have in mind ?

For music - Just get Audioengine A5 powered speakers. They will be around 17K and perfect for playing the content you have in mind and the PC as a source.
moserw: Of Audioengine don't know much (yet). Btw, is there some place in Chennai where I could give them a listen ?
Just from the looks(a had just a quick look before placing this): I wouldn't like to switch to some exceptionally but still PC/multipurpose speakers. I would like some hi-fi speakers that allow me in the same time to extend to a 5.1. Even if for the moment the source will be my weakest link. Who knows, later I might think of a nice CDP. The problem is not really buying it, but I'm just liking more the idea of having my entire music collection in one place, than switching and switching CDs (don't mind me).

Thanks guys for your useful info. Now I go back to reviews reading :)

PS: I might've spoke too fast about the Audioengine ? :)

Last edited:
Wow, fast reply and soon Very useful ;). Just let me know when and where to be, and I'll be there. Out of curiosity (so I can do my homework) what are the components you have in mind ?

I had posted the list somewhere, but the Search Engine is returning a "Sorry' to all my searches. He is the configuration:
  • Yamaha RX-V663
  • 4 x PSB Alpha 1Bs
  • 1 x PSB Alpha C1
  • 1 x Wharfedale SW150
  • Pioneer DV610AV-K DVD Player
  • HDMI Cables from Germany company called Eagle
  • Audio Interconnects from Eagle
  • Interconnects from Bandridge
  • 14AWG Speaker cable from DAC
  • CD Player (Currently Deciding)

I will be testing the system with three DVD Players - Oppo 983, Pioneer 610, and Pioneer 696.

All the items have already reached me and I am clearing my room to set it up. As soon as I have run it for a few days, I shall PM you.

Cheers

Great, looking forward to it.
I wanted to hear the Yamaha also, and the info exchange will be right on place.

I keep reading good things about these PSB. I'll keep on studying.

Dear Vue, can you tell us what the final cost was post-discount?

Hi Psychotropic,
I am sorry for the delay. I had not logged in recently. MA RS6 MRP is 76k. Discount is 11k, so final price is 65k. He gave me this price as I also took the MA BR-LCR, Straight wire HDMI cables x 2 (5k) and will take MA BRFx (2 surrounds) from him.He said earlier the MA RS6 price was much lower but has shot up recently. Mr.Naina Mohamed is the contact person who patiently switched speakers for me and my wife. Hope this helps.

Dear Vue, can you tell us what the final cost was post-discount?

Hi Psychotropic,
I am sorry for the delay. I had not logged in recently. MA RS6 MRP is 76k. Discount is 11k, so final price is 65k. He gave me this price as I also took the MA BR-LCR, Straight wire HDMI cables x 2 (5k) and will take MA BRFx (2 surrounds) from him.He said earlier the MA RS6 price was much lower but has shot up recently. Mr.Naina Mohamed is the contact person who patiently switched speakers for me and my wife. Hope this helps.

Hi Psychotropic,

Hi Vue:

Once upon a time, yeah, MA RS6 price was very low, @55k. In fact I was among a few who had booked RS6, paid 5k as advance and blocked the color, at that time there were no stocks anywhere, so I had to wait a mindboggling 5 months for the consignment to arrive from UK. While on waiting, Naina Mohamed showed me the new price list of RS6 quoting a shocking 77k, and he said I was very very lucky to get RS6 for 50k:D. I started a thread called 'the wait is over' here after receving speakers:eek:

Sorry to write my sad story here.:(

Any other sharing in the IQ5 vs BR5 battle ?

And one more question: should I consider ordering from Mumbai or Bangalore for example ? (on the net I've seen some sensible lower prices)

Any other sharing in the IQ5 vs BR5 battle ?

And one more question: should I consider ordering from Mumbai or Bangalore for example ? (on the net I've seen some sensible lower prices)

Hi:

IMO and from my audition, BR5 is superior, nice treble, excellent midrange, good bass. IQ5 would lose in bass, but otherwise good speaker. Both are compact and would look stunning in your living room.

BR5 - *****
IQ5 - ****

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back