KEF iQ5 vs Monitor-Audio BR5 vs Wharfedale 9.5

I auditioned IQ5 a couple of times. I was always disappointed not just by the absence of bass, but also the harsh treble. BR5 was significantly better at both ends of the frequency spectrum.

Thanks,
Sharad

Have a pair of BR5s paired with Marantz PM 7001 KI Edition. I ordered BR5s from Chennai as it was very difficult to get good hi-fi equipment at reasonable costs in Delhi.

I auditioned KEF IQ 5's extensively before I bought the MA's and I have not been disappointed. The music I listen to is laid back - heavy vocals and instruments like Aretha Franklin, Eagles, JJ Cale and a bit of classic rock like Van Halen, U2, and a lot of Jazz - Miles Davis, Coltrane... and sufi like Abida.

So I was looking for speakers that could work well in the mid-range AND provide the bass punch whenever required. (I do not like the idea of using subs for a stereo setup). BR5s - fell into my budget (under 30K for speakers while the RS6 were double of that).

Every time I switch my system on, the speakers don't disappoint! Infact they make me proud whenever I am having my very personal Jazz sessions or entertaining guests to popular rock at home. They have a fabulous smokey rendition that I love (Guess due to the Marantz amp) and pretty much hassle free.

My two bits of advice is:

1. Stick to your budget. (There is no limit on spending a little more and getting stuff one notch higher and this lust never ends!!).

2. Manage your expectations from what you expect from any equipment irrespective of what whoever advices. (There will always be a better stuff around the corner.)

3. Ensure you pair well with your amp.

4. Focus on the Music.... and enjoy it. Ultimately it all boils down to that.

Good Luck!

Spycatcher

I've auditioned Saikat's Monitor Audio BR5 with both a NAD amp and my Musical Fidelity A1. With the latter it, it sounds very good for an entry level floor stander. I've heard the iQ5 with a Marantz PM17 and it doesn't come remotely close to the involvement and musicality of the Musical Fidelity and BR5 combo.

under 30k?
Where did you order it from?

regards

Have a pair of BR5s paired with Marantz PM 7001 KI Edition. I ordered BR5s from Chennai as it was very difficult to get good hi-fi equipment at reasonable costs in Delhi.

I auditioned KEF IQ 5's extensively before I bought the MA's and I have not been disappointed. The music I listen to is laid back - heavy vocals and instruments like Aretha Franklin, Eagles, JJ Cale and a bit of classic rock like Van Halen, U2, and a lot of Jazz - Miles Davis, Coltrane... and sufi like Abida.

So I was looking for speakers that could work well in the mid-range AND provide the bass punch whenever required. (I do not like the idea of using subs for a stereo setup). BR5s - fell into my budget (under 30K for speakers while the RS6 were double of that).

Every time I switch my system on, the speakers don't disappoint! Infact they make me proud whenever I am having my very personal Jazz sessions or entertaining guests to popular rock at home. They have a fabulous smokey rendition that I love (Guess due to the Marantz amp) and pretty much hassle free.

My two bits of advice is:

1. Stick to your budget. (There is no limit on spending a little more and getting stuff one notch higher and this lust never ends!!).

2. Manage your expectations from what you expect from any equipment irrespective of what whoever advices. (There will always be a better stuff around the corner.)

3. Ensure you pair well with your amp.

4. Focus on the Music.... and enjoy it. Ultimately it all boils down to that.

Good Luck!

Spycatcher

@spycatcher: Thanks for the useful advice. And also same question here, where BR5 under 30k ? Just for info, I've been quoted 45k (with 10% discount..) but it is too high. Me, I'm from Europe (staying in India for 2 years) and for 45k you can have the RS6..

If I would search only for music I would only consider a stereo system, but from time to time, I like to watch a movie also. And I really wouldn't like to invest in two setups.. So to be able to upgrade to 5.1, what would be my best pick as AVR ? (I was considering Denon 1909 and Yamaha 663).

Hi guys - I picked up the BR5s from The Audio People Chennai, but this was about 1.5 years back. I paid 32 K including cost of couriering to Delhi and speaker cables. I guess I was lucky as this was one of the last pieces in their stock. They were ordering fresh ones from UK as that would have delayed the delivery by 2-3 months.

Well I completely missed this thread! Better late than never.

It was fantastic to catch up with Venkat after so many years. And thanks to Raghu of Decibel who was the common linking factor who made that happen.

I really dont need to talk about Venkat here as all of you know him as probably the most helpful member around in all Hifivision!Raghu is a true gem. The amount of patience he must have had to deal with my raves and rants, musical preferences and changes of mind about as frequent as Mumbai electric trains - simply phenomenal!

I must also add that the listening room at Decibel is one that i really love to spend time in. A lot of places have rooms that we will find almost impossible to replicate in our own homes. While the listening space at Decibel is ample it is also homely. That makes a lot of sense in my mind.

Often times, whether I buy stuff or not, I indulge myself in going and listening to some music, provided Raghu is free:).

Hi friends,

This week-end I found the time to go and have a quick audition at Decibel. It is as they say: it really has a "normality feeling" with no special acoustic treatments that will double your budget to have them at home as well.
Add to this the useful opinions and relaxed, "beginner friendly" explanations of Raghu and Venkat and you definitely start to make sense. Thank you.
I auditioned the AE Neo 3 FS with the Yamaha V663 AVR. One thing is clear: I don't know if it was the speakers or not, but I am fully decided; It's not Denon 1909, it's Yamaha that does it for me. Both music and movies seemed so alive compared to the flatness of 1909. Actually this is what I was missing, a starting point. Now that I'm decided on this, it should be easier to choose the speakers.

The AE sounded full, they were able to fill in all that I was missing in KEF. Although, the KEFs still seem to win on the mid-range.

I realize that changing the entire setup (speakers and AVR) makes comparison a bit unfair, but I've expressed actually the impact both systems had on me.
Anyway, one last run should convince me if I'm right or not. So, the next thing that I have to do is to audition the IQ5s and BR5s with the V663, to compare on the same terms.

A special thank you I have to add to Venkat for finding time to assist on this audition. I can't stop finding this a gesture of extreme generosity.

Lucian.

Last edited:
I am using Kef iQ7 for the last 1 month and can't tell you how satisfied I am. I also auditioned iQ5 but iQ7 was a winner on vocals, highs and imaging.
BTW I got it for 40K and IQ5 was offered at 28K.

If I were to pitch in and add to the confusion - I would rate the Acoustic Energy Neo 3 better than both the MA BR5 as well as the KEF iq5. If you compare the UK cost, the Neo 3 is dirt cheap which is really surprising and only confirms my hypothesis that more money does not necessary buy you better audio equipment.

The MA BR5 has a hint of boxiness and chestiness with vocals that I cannot brook. The KEF iQ5 is an inoffensive speaker which would work well if your overriding preference was only for vocals but for other genres it really lacked the punch required. I heard the MA BR5s on both Denon as well as Marantz AVRs. The KEFs I heard only on Denon AVRs.

The Neo 3 on the other hand had no such obvious failings. It is just that it cannot perform that disappearing act or image as well as standmounts at the same budget. But then one will be hard put to get floorstanders that image very well or can get out of the way of the music in that budget.

If the iQ 7 is available at 40K I would seriously think of that proposition if budget permits. For vocals the iQ series is very good. And the iQ7 is not a complete wuss at bass.

I am using Kef iQ7 for the last 1 month and can't tell you how satisfied I am. I also auditioned iQ5 but iQ7 was a winner on vocals, highs and imaging.
BTW I got it for 40K and IQ5 was offered at 28K.

@dango: Where ?!
Could you please specify a contact (phone or email, a website if any) :)
I would consider a visit to Bangalore for the right reason.
Thank you.

@thevortex: The problem with Neo 3 is that if I consider the 5.1 setup, it will go a bit more than I was planning to spend and I'll be forced to go in steps.. So before deciding in favor, I would like to have seen all the other posibilities.
And, why so much difference in pricing ?!

@thevortex: The problem with Neo 3 is that if I consider the 5.1 setup, it will go a bit more than I was planning to spend and I'll be forced to go in steps.. So before deciding in favor, I would like to have seen all the other posibilities.
And, why so much difference in pricing ?!

Speaking from personal experience, I can share that there is nothing at all wrong in going in steps as far as building your Hifi system is concerned. Mine is still rough and ready, but it is improving by the day:).

If music is important at all, you should have no problems in building things in steps. But do trust your ears. If you have compared the Neo 3 and the KEFs and/or the MA BR5, then choose the one that moves you more.

Hi friends,

I want to let you know that my search is over. So in the battle BR5 vs IQ5, the winner is... RS6. :). I've finally decided for RS6. And I don't regret it at all. They are all that I wanted. Maybe a "problem" is that I don't have the complete system "by book"; thanks to thevortex's comment, I took the decision to go in steps. After a few days of testing here are my thoughts:
AVR: Yamaha V663
Speakers: RS6 fronts / RSCLR center / No Sub / surrounds no names.
The Yamaha is a great receiver for both movies and music, it is perfect for what I needed.
Since my only worry was music, I think I would've been happy also without buying a matching center (I'm sure that another center could match - until this moment, after a few movies I can't say that the center made a big difference - at least not that much to justify paying the same price as for 1 pcs of RS6).
The fronts (and thank you Venkat for insisting that I should stay with floorstanders), are great. For movies, it is possible to reroute the bass through fronts, and the kick they deliver is awsome. (In "The Fountain", close to the end, there is a scene where everything "implodes"- the sound literally hit me in the chest). I don't think I will go for separate Sub very soon.
My weak link are the surrounds, for which in any case I will not buy the RS1, but some nice and not expensive surround speakers (from Q1010 package), since the aren't that much solicited (in my case).
Thank you all for your comments.

Luchian, I am glad you ended up getting what you wanted and that you are enjoying the system at the end. Now it is time to sit back and enjoy the fruits of your labour,

Cheers

Hi friends,

I want to let you know that my search is over. So in the battle BR5 vs IQ5, the winner is... RS6. :). I've finally decided for RS6. And I don't regret it at all. They are all that I wanted. Maybe a "problem" is that I don't have the complete system "by book"; thanks to thevortex's comment, I took the decision to go in steps. After a few days of testing here are my thoughts:
The Yamaha is a great receiver for both movies and music, it is perfect for what I needed.
Since my only worry was music, I think I would've been happy also without buying a matching center (I'm sure that another center could match - until this moment, after a few movies I can't say that the center made a big difference - at least not that much to justify paying the same price as for 1 pcs of RS6).
The fronts (and thank you Venkat for insisting that I should stay with floorstanders), are great. For movies, it is possible to reroute the bass through fronts, and the kick they deliver is awsome. (In "The Fountain", close to the end, there is a scene where everything "implodes"- the sound literally hit me in the chest). I don't think I will go for separate Sub very soon.
My weak link are the surrounds, for which in any case I will not buy the RS1, but some nice and not expensive surround speakers (from Q1010 package), since the aren't that much solicited (in my case).

luchianull, Welcome to the RS6 Club ! Yes, I do accept that there won't be much difference if you have phantom centers or with narrow gaps between the fronts. I would say the you will feel the difference and the centers plays a vital role if the distance between it and the fronts are quiet wide.

Audio / HT: Monitor Audio RS6, MA RSLCR, KEF Q7, Wharfedale SW-150, Chord Carnival Silver Plus, Marantz PM-80, EQ-580, Cambridge Audio Azur 640R, NAD 521BEE, Oppo DV-983H, Philips 47PFL7482. Bedroom: Sony KV-AR212M83, MHC-VX501, Philips DVP 3028. Personal Audio: IRiver IFP-795, Cowon iAudio 7, Sennheiser RS130, Grado SR80. Gaming : XBOX 360

Hi friends,

Congrats luchian those are lovely speakers and receiver. Could you let us know how much you paid for each

Congrats luchianull!

I have been using the RS6 for almost two years now, and have not grown out of them yet. I am sure they would not be the weak link in your setup for a long time.
The more time you spend with the RS6 the more you would like them.
Have a nice time.

Regards,
Sharad

If the question is for me, I use NAD C542 CD player and NAD C372 Amp.

More details in my signature below...

Regards,
Sharad
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My primary setup:
* Panasonic BD30 Blu-ray, NAD C542 CD player, Project Debut III TT with NAD PP2,Denon DRW-585 Cassette Deck
* Denon AVR 2809, NAD C372 Amp
* Monitor Audio RS6 with Definitive Technology Super Cube II subwoofer
* Projector: Plus U5-111 (Next on the line for upgrade)

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back