KEF Q 300 CRACK IN DRIVERS

I asked because I recently got my JBLs repaired, was quoted between 4-6k for 8 inch rubber surrounds, so I find it hard to believe that the whole driver needs to be replaced just because the surrounds have gone bad. I realize that the kef surrounds are a bit different, maybe original KEF surrounds can be sourced from abroad. I am using the kef q150, hence the concern apart from curiosity.
These are Uni-Q drivers. Co-centric/coaxial configuration.
The tweeter sits inside the mid/woofer driver.
This also acts as a waveguide for HF.
Driver topology is incestual and complicated :)

Cheers,
Raghu

Something like this should be there....

You need to see if alternative sites are available who can resolve the issue....else look for an alternative (different speakers) if you are going to land up spending a lot.

My personal opinion...I was not too convinced with the S20s.

I would suggest you audition those brands and models which you wish to have...preferably with the same amp / avr you would drive it on....then take a call...what is good for me may not necessarily be best for you..we are all unique and have our personal preferences......

If audition is not possible...read reviews and see some youtube videos...prepare a wish list and share....we will all chime in our views and recommendations...

Thanks for your reply. PROFX is quoting a very high rate, Rs. 16800 each driver. They are saying that the driver is not repairable so it has to be replaced. Replacing both the drivers is equal to purchasing Polk audio RTIA3. What do you suggest? Shall I go for replacement or think for alternatives.
Rs.33,600? Thats the price of them new! Since you've had 2 KEFs already, get yourself something else for that money, listen to it for sometime and rediscover your love for KEF. Absence makes the heart fonder.

I am just thinking of Polk Audio signature series s20. Specifications wise both are almost same except KEF unique driver. Pl share your opinion.
You could take a look at the elacs on sale. If you have a powerful amp, those speakers can really sing.

MaSh

KEF rubber surrounds are not available locally & PROFX does not replace only the rubber. I do not know whether other rubber surround will work on it. I can glue it & fill the cracks. I have not yet decided on replacement.
Rubber glue should work than replacing it with a totally different one. If you are lucky you it may end up sounding like it used to be. The key is just to have enough glue not overdoing it there by decreasing the elasticity of the surround way too much.

I asked because I recently got my JBLs repaired, was quoted between 4-6k for 8 inch rubber surrounds, so I find it hard to believe that the whole driver needs to be replaced just because the surrounds have gone bad. I realize that the kef surrounds are a bit different, maybe original KEF surrounds can be sourced from abroad. I am using the kef q150, hence the concern apart from curiosity.
The difference is those ribbed sureounds are unique and made only by kef and energy if I am not wrong.

The difference is those ribbed sureounds are unique and made only by kef and energy if I am not wrong.
Yes, they are totally different & not like general speakers. I had tried to apply adhesive from inside but it was absolutely impossible so I applied glue from outside. Since the cracks are unusual, I had to work hard. I have used rubber adhesive to maintain the flexibility. Let me see what happens. All of you have encouraged me to take a decision. Thanks again.

Yes, they are totally different & not like general speakers. I had tried to apply adhesive from inside but it was absolutely impossible so I applied glue from outside. Since the cracks are unusual, I had to work hard. I have used rubber adhesive to maintain the flexibility. Let me see what happens. All of you have encouraged me to take a decision. Thanks again.
Use it until it finally give up:)

Hi, My KEF Q 300 has developed cracks in the rubber/foam sheet attached to the diaphragms of the drivers. I am using them for the last eight years. I do not use to listen in high volume, therefore reason behind the cracks is unknown. Any of the forum members who has come across such situation pl share their experience. Forum members are also requested to share their views on the probable effect of this cracks in near future & what is the remedy? I am attaching two images of the drivers. Many many thanks in advance.

My speakers devloped similar issue...and while I am weighing options new speakers or replacement driver, have managed to patch the surrounds of both drivers with good results.
If you want details, let me know

My speakers devloped similar issue...and while I am weighing options new speakers or replacement driver, have managed to patch the surrounds of both drivers with good results.
If you want details, let me know
Pl let me know, how you have managed. I have joined the cracks with a good quality rubber solution. The speaker is absolutely fine now.

It is said Kevlar cones last longer including the rubber surround.
Its not Kevlar,but quality of surround material used. Wharfedale 9 series uses kevkar cone, buts its 13cm driver do suffer cracks in surround within 5-6 yr of uses depending area you reside.

Its not Kevlar,but quality of surround material used. Wharfedale 9 series uses kevkar cone, buts its 13cm driver do suffer cracks in surround within 5-6 yr of uses depending area you reside.

Wow nice to see that you have responded to my Aug 2020 views to the OP.

As mentioned, I made a generalized statement and based what I have seen with my friends who are more into music like me. Yes it depends obviously where you stay and how close you are to moisture or sea breeze and even the weather.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back