KEF Q 300 CRACK IN DRIVERS

Hi, My KEF Q 300 has developed cracks in the rubber/foam sheet attached to the diaphragms of the drivers. I am using them for the last eight years. I do not use to listen in high volume, therefore reason behind the cracks is unknown. Any of the forum members who has come across such situation pl share their experience. Forum members are also requested to share their views on the probable effect of this cracks in near future & what is the remedy? I am attaching two images of the drivers. Many many thanks in advance.
Absolutely same problem with my KEF Q300, the cracks are exactly the same. Unlike you I am the culprit for this situation, I had accidentally turned on full volume and before i could reduce the volume the damage was done. It’s been almost 2 years now, how is the fevicol bond holding up, as I too don’t have the stomach for 16k.

how much does a new q300 costs and weigh ur options accordingly. If price quoted is close to a new q300, then no point.. Sad, but u may have to dump this one.. Unless some other full range driver can be installed...

Absolutely same problem with my KEF Q300, the cracks are exactly the same. Unlike you I am the culprit for this situation, I had accidentally turned on full volume and before i could reduce the volume the damage was done. It’s been almost 2 years now, how is the fevicol bond holding up, as I too don’t have the stomach for 16k.
After a long battle with Profx & KEF, they became ready to reduce the price to 12500 that too for exchange. This was not acceptable to me because new driver does not cover any guarantee/warranty. Hence I decided for DIY. You may post an image of the damaged driver so that I can suggest you a solution.

Not sure if this will be helpful,
I had to repair one of the Bose speakers(PC) foam surrounds long time back.
used wet tissue ( dried out/expired ) - essentially saying use any non-woven fabric, cut them to pieces just to cover the gaps +1 to 2 mm on the surrounds, then pour fevicol( tube/ woodwork adhesive ) generously on the fabric and let it dry completely, to air seal it.
The new patch was just flexible as before and worked great and restored the "Bose" sound!

Hi !
This is a custom design surround. Not available as a loose replacement.
It is a monopoly or trade off of these companies.
Fevecol 's chloroprene based rubber adhesive will not work over here .
You can try using a rubber toughened adhesive and primer for the job.
Loctite 770 primer and Loctite 480 rubber toughened adhesive is the ideal combination.
Great care should be taken not to over do it.
Follow instructions on the shelf life , bond time and other details before using it.
with regards
Vivek
9331927102 ( whatsapp)

Now see you have to repair it & no other option available. I have mentioned in my last post that Profx will exchange the drivers for ₹12500/unit.
Take out the drivers from the cabinet. Purchase a rubber based tube adhesive of good quality. Tube will make the process easier. Place your finger from below the each crack/gap. Apply small quantity of the adhesive on the crack & wait for sometime then go to the next one. It requires your patience. Leave the drivers overnight & refit them into the cabinets. You can also follow the methods suggested by other fellow members. You won't notice any difference in home listening. Best 👍.

I feel you should either fix yourself using the suggestions provided by forum members and if that does not work out look for new speakers and may not KEFs. Its mostly from piece of mind perspective unless you absolutely feel KEFs are the only ones that suite your needs.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back