kindly guide me

rajni

Hello friends,

I am using Videocon d2h,connected through hdmi but my current samsung tv speakers sound very bad. So I would like to have external speaker system connected.
My budget is 15k, can you suggest what can i buy inorder to have good clarity sound for watching Videocon d2h and able to understand dialogues in movies
I watch more of regional channels like movies through dth etc.
I am a total noob in this department so kindly help me.

It would be interesting to see others respond here.

Anyways, your best bets could be:

1. Option I - Buy a used soundbar with no sub-woofer (that way it might come in your price range). You would at least get some 'simulated' surround sound also.

2. Option II - Buy entry level powered speakers - check computer speakers (Creative etc) or cheaper brands like Sonodyne or even custom made ones (somebody would surely recommend) and connect it via audio-out of your TV. Audio-out is a small socket at the back of your TV just like one on your cell phone to which you connect your head-phones. You would only get stereo sound (no surround sound) this way but quality might be better (in the given price range) and if you go for used; you may be able to get a setup with a 6" sub-woofer.

BTW, I started with the same question years ago. I remember uttering - "my TV sounds horrible...". Welcome on-board :)

Last edited:
It would be interesting to see others respond here.

Anyways, your best bets could be:

1. Option I - Buy a used soundbar with no sub-woofer (that way it might come in your price range). You would at least get some 'simulated' surround sound also.

2. Option II - Buy entry level powered speakers - check computer speakers (Creative etc) or cheaper brands like Sonodyne or even custom made ones (somebody would surely recommend) and connect it via audio-out of your TV. Audio-out is a small socket at the back of your TV just like one on your cell phone to which you connect your head-phones. You would only get stereo sound (no surround sound) this way but quality might be better (in the given price range) and if you go for used; you may be able to get a setup with a 6" sub-woofer.

BTW, I started with the same question years ago. I remember uttering - "my TV sounds horrible...". Welcome on-board :)

Out of option 1 and 2 which has better output, and suppose if i want to go for option 2 where is it reliable to buy the stuff like sonodyne active speakers and other used stuff for sale.

Last edited:
Why don't you visit a Sony/Samsung showroom and check out their home theater systems. They sound good and are least complicated.

Out of option 1 and 2 which has better output, and suppose if i want to go for option 2 where is it reliable to buy the stuff like sonodyne active speakers and other used stuff for sale.

Go for Swans D-1080-IV, it's around 12.5 K
It has perfect bass and tonality.
No other speaker can match it except the studio monitors from Mackie CR4 which is at same range of 13K.

But the bass in Swans is more than Mackie CR4. (Swans go till 53Hz and Cr4 goes till 70Hz)

Do some research on above two models on Google and Youtube, you will get to the conclusion.

Hello friends,

I am using Videocon d2h,connected through hdmi but my current samsung tv speakers sound very bad. So I would like to have external speaker system connected.
My budget is 15k, can you suggest what can i buy inorder to have good clarity sound for watching Videocon d2h and able to understand dialogues in movies

Are you using the HD set top box of D2H? If not, that should be the first step as it it would give better source sound. Post that look at speakers. For most channels, a soundbar should be good enough unless you have a very large room.

I would second the option for a sound bar, you'll get excellent bang for buck from the likes of Yamaha. Yamaha will definitely cost more than your intended budget.

A second-hand HTIB will also be an excellent option.

I'm not too sure about monitors, while I like how they sound, they don't always come with the easiest of input options. No simple digital or analog inputs, so be sure to check the input and output options before you commit to studio monitors.

Computer speakers will have similar limitation of connectivity options, no digital input or HDMI. They will become redundant the moment you add a Blu-ray player and similar devices.

Are you using the HD set top box of D2H? If not, that should be the first step as it it would give better source sound. Post that look at speakers. For most channels, a soundbar should be good enough unless you have a very large room.

Yes I am using hd settop box of d2h.

I would second the option for a sound bar, you'll get excellent bang for buck from the likes of Yamaha. Yamaha will definitely cost more than your intended budget.

A second-hand HTIB will also be an excellent option.

I'm not too sure about monitors, while I like how they sound, they don't always come with the easiest of input options. No simple digital or analog inputs, so be sure to check the input and output options before you commit to studio monitors.

Computer speakers will have similar limitation of connectivity options, no digital input or HDMI. They will become redundant the moment you add a Blu-ray player and similar devices.

so as per you i need to go for a HTiB or a soundbar, but a soundbar being bit of compromise. but where will i get reliable second hand HTiB.

Last edited:
For your budget I suggest you have a look at the F&D speakers. They are good and I have used them before. You can also have a look at HTIB from companies like Yamaha and Onkyo

Hello friends,

Audition Panasonic HT20 and Sony SRS-D9. Both are excellent for a medium sized room and are great value for money.

MaSh

thanks everybody for your valuable suggestions ..
I will extend my budget to around 30k and buy yamaha HTiB (Maybe i will take a few more months to buy) as majority have suggested and also i had audition in reliance digital yesterday.

I will extend my budget to around 30k and buy yamaha HTiB (Maybe i will take a few more months to buy) as majority have suggested and also i had audition in reliance digital yesterday.

A good decision. Go with something that handles advanced audio codecs like HD Audio. More future proofing.

Rajni,

You may also want to check classifieds section in here. A lot of people start with HTiBs and then quickly graduate to larger (read more expensive!) systems. You might get a lightly used Yamaha at a very good price.

No F&D, sony, panasonic etc.
Stick to the hifi brands Wharfedale, dali, yamaha, onkyo etc.
Soundbar may be best for regular TV viewing. Look at JBL soundbars.

Good Decision. Now that you have the budget and the time, look at getting the components individually rather thank getting an HTiB. Individual components will allow you to get a better system with better future proofing options. There are sufficient threads in this forum that will help you decide on a receiver, speakers and sources.

All The Best
MaSh

For your budget I suggest you have a look at the F&D speakers. They are good and I have used them before. You can also have a look at HTIB from companies like Yamaha and Onkyo

Don't know about F&D HTiBs, but their 2.1 systems are unbelievably good. At about Rs. 1500 the F&D A110 model is a steal. Best among the multimedia speakers currently available at that price point. I bought 3 units online recently, and also wrote a review in Amazon.

cheers,
Reji

dear friends please recommend some custom made speaker and amplifier within 15k budget which can be used for watching dth.

Hi

If budget is a challenge, please look at the For Sale by owner section, there are a lot of FMs who update their systems and you will get something which will interest you and also possibly fulfill your requirements....all the best...

Give a try on a nice 2.1 computer speakers. I am personally using Edifier C3 for almost 3 years. I am very happy with what it delivers. Practically these will work great as you don't want to switch on an AV receiver to watch movie and switch off when its not needed. Mine is always on and it easily fills my living room of size 20*13. Even with 6.5 inch bass driver bass it provides is very good.
Swans are great, but little big to place next to TV.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back