Kindly help me decide on a subwoofer and 2.0 FS speaker combo for under 40K!

vdt

Hi, I got the following stuff for under rupees 30k in US:

7.2 receiver: 7.2 Ch. 4K A/V Receiver with Bluetooth – STR-DH750 Review - Sony US,

center channel: 2-way 3-driver Center Channel Speaker - Eligible Sound Bars and Home Theater Systems Sony Store - Sony US

and 2 pairs of these on wall surround speakers: OWM3 - Polk Audio

I planned on purchasing the Sub and front FS speakers here in India, after I got the above stuff from US. My cousin who is supposed to bring them this month, is going to be a few months late. So I want to go ahead and purchase the best possible Sub and FS speakers combo for under 40K.

The first budget FS speakers that come to mind are Pioneer sp-fs52. I am open to other alternative FS speakers in that range. Also please suggest if there are better sounding bookshelf speakers at around the same price(20 to 25k).

Coming to the sub, I initially planned on this: S-MS3SW | 13K pioneer sub. Anybody using this?
I'm guessing it is an average sub.

Please suggest decent subs in the 20-25k price range.

Until I get the receiver from US, is it possible to drive the FS pair by connecting them to a sub like this one Prodigi India? Some powered subs like the mentioned Elac and some Polk subs have direct speaker connections to them. Will they drive the passive FS speakers?

Thanks!

Last edited:
As you have selected Sony as centre it would be actually good to even have the fs same as Sony. But since that option is left out. Would suggest taking the call on Polk tsx330t as it is same as surround and just in case you feel that the Sony centre is not a proper match for the fs. Then you can consider buying the Polk Centre which is available @10k here in india. Also if the Sony centre purchase has not yet become would suggest to swap that for a Polk centre or maybe any other brand which you will be buying the fs. Its important to match the fronts and centre at least if not all the speakers. This will create a uniform soundstage and will be a l far more immersive experience while watching movies and you will not feel any exaggerating centre dialogues or any mismatch at certain scenes. So its up to you what you can manage. However @30k its a steal whatever you have got from US. Anyway if you need a really good subwoofer consider spending upwards of 25k for subwoofer alone. Finally comes down to personal liking. However the key factor is auditioning before making any purchases. Which I guess you have missed upon. Please have a thorough audition before buying stuff. As this will make you confident on your purchase and after all you need to live with your home theatre. So take advice from everyone but you buy what you like not someone else

Last edited:
In reply to the powered subwoofer part. It will do its duty. But you need to supply the power to passive speakers by giving it high level inputs.
This should be the way of connecting

AMPLIIER>>SUB LINE IN
SUB LINE OUT>>SPEAKERS

Subwoofer will take its own power but the amplifier will power speakers.
Subwoofer will only accept and filter the signal i. e it will separate bass from its crossover point and send the rest of the signal to speakers.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back