Klipsch Reference Premiere Series Speakers

Thanks sash.. I see that you have Klipsch too.. What are your surround speakers?
My surrounds right now are from Magnat. I owned the Magnat 5.1 system earlier and now retain only the surrounds. Never noticed any difference and don't intend to change anytime soon.
The Klipsch produce great midbass which take movie watching (especially Indian movies) to another level. I watched some regional movie dvds (Kannada, Tamil, Malayalam) again on my Klipsch and the experience has been stunning. Big, loud, very detailed and great bass characterize these speakers - that's exactly how i like my movies. I like to watch at > 80db volume levels and Klipsch is one of those speakers that can do it with little amp power.

Been running thru the specs of RP 140 SA

f814b6fe1cc64f44738bf726b42ec62f.jpg

Freq Response : Conforms to Dolby Atmos specification

Sensitivity : Conforms to Dolby Atmos specification

Dolby Atmos specification for sensitivity ? [emoji15]

Klipsch could have very well mentioned it simply.. is it indirectly conveying that it is Atmos speakers? [emoji13]

Last edited:
It's marketing at work. People who don't understand specs get influenced by the names like Dolby,DTS, 100000 WATTS and what not.
Dolby specs are 105 db SPL for low freq's.101 db SPL for mid's and high's ,freq response 40hz to 16k Hz for fronts,80hz to 16k Hz for surrounds.

It's marketing at work. People who don't understand specs get influenced by the names like Dolby,DTS, 100000 WATTS and what not.
Dolby specs are 105 db SPL for low freq's.101 db SPL for mid's and high's ,freq response 40hz to 16k Hz for fronts,80hz to 16k Hz for surrounds.

Dolby Atmos speaker specification - http://www.dolby.com/in/en/technologies/dolby-atmos/dolby-atmos-specifications.pdf

Though the surround speaker freq resp is fine, these specifications are for movie theater..

How do i calculate the sensitivity of this speaker? Isn't 101 db SPL high for home? :sad:

elangoas,

The spec link you shared is for movie theaters.
For home theater use if you get 85-90 dB SPL at listening position, with a 6-10 dB headroom for "masala" scenes, you are good.
For living room home theater, even 85-90 dB SPL is high.
After one watching one movie at these levels, you need to go sit in an abandoned temple or monastery for quiet time.

So don't worry about these numbers, let the AVR do its calibration and magic. If necessary tweak on top of this calibration as per your liking
Given that Klipsch are high sensitivity speakers, your AVR will be one cool cat. Needs to burn only a few watts to reach high SPLs.

Cheers,
Raghu

What raghupb said. Also it depends how big a given room is. If you have a large room you will have to crank it up, for average room size they should go loud with just a few watts.
What avr are you getting?

Don't know if my previous reply to this page was moderted (or) i missed to post them..

elangoas,

The spec link you shared is for movie theaters.
For home theater use if you get 85-90 dB SPL at listening position, with a 6-10 dB headroom for "masala" scenes, you are good.
For living room home theater, even 85-90 dB SPL is high.
After one watching one movie at these levels, you need to go sit in an abandoned temple or monastery for quiet time.

So don't worry about these numbers, let the AVR do its calibration and magic. If necessary tweak on top of this calibration as per your liking
Given that Klipsch are high sensitivity speakers, your AVR will be one cool cat. Needs to burn only a few watts to reach high SPLs.

Cheers,
Raghu

Thanks Raghu.. Yes. The specifications are for movie theater, but not home... Dolby specification for movie theater can be misleading for home theater..

Going by the RP range of Klipshch, i guess the sensitivity of the speaker should be anywhere between 93 - 97db..

Anyways will drop an e-mail to Klipsch to see if i can get clarity on it..

What raghupb said. Also it depends how big a given room is. If you have a large room you will have to crank it up, for average room size they should go loud with just a few watts.
What avr are you getting?

It is a small living room abt 150 Sqft... For the interim period it will be Marantz SR 5200 (Non HDMI), a 15 year old AVR..

Just auditioned these Klipsh at Hyderabad showroom, in one word Awesome, very impressed by the performance - dealer was quoting 60k for a pair of Bookshelves . I couldn't listen to the centre speaker , at the price you've got them(BS) it is steal.

Did you order via Amazon to overseas address of your friend or fetched locally ?

Just auditioned these Klipsh at Hyderabad showroom, in one word Awesome, very impressed by the performance - dealer was quoting 60k for a pair of Bookshelves . I couldn't listen to the centre speaker , at the price you've got them(BS) it is steal.

Great.. Yes.. They are.. Thx..

Did you order via Amazon to overseas address of your friend or fetched locally ?

Nope.. My friend was in US, so he ordered it from amazon.com..I literally chased my friend to place order of the BS when it was US $400.. The price hovers between $400 - $470 in amazon.com

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back