Klipsch SW-450 or Velodyne EQ-Max 15

prepress

Hi Friends,

I want to buy a subwoofer and I have two options in mind to consider.

Klipsch SW-450 or Velodyne EQ-Max 15

Both brands are available in my city and thinking to buy the best one. Here I can get few more brands for sub like Yamaha, Mission, JBL (150P), Wharfedale. Please suggest which would be better or any other choice and best price.

I am already using Onkyo 100W subwoofer now, so don't need any other 100W option. My budget is under 35K.
Usage : 75% Music, 25% Movies

Thanks,
DK

@rpradeep, I am not sure about the price for Velodyne, but I can increase the budget if it really worth in that (?) price. Thats why I asked price to all of you for best suggested sub.

Any idea about the price for EQ-Max?

Yesterday I was told 32-34K for SW-450.

Dealer was saying He can go upto maximum 5% discount. I will try tomorrow if something happens.

Are you sure Velodyne EQ- Max15 is good Sub than Klipsch? I mean about the bass quality.

Definitely better. But if you have budget upto 50k, you should consider SVS,HSU and REL also.

Recently one of our forum member Shaq.blogs built a sub with crown amp and infinity drivers , he says the results are quite good. Contact him if you are interested in DIY route and want to save some money.

My budget is not more than 40K (maximum limit, but don't want). Seeking for under 35K. Just saw EQ-Max15 price on HT website... it is 62K... so no way. Now what you say? Klipsch ?

first things first....what is the room size?
Subs cant be recommended without knowing the room size. Bigger the room, the more challenging it is to make it pound, and to get even bass. Smaller rooms tend to have more acoustic problems than larger rooms.

Secondly you are comparing a 200W 10" sub to a 750W 15" sub. Duh :rolleyes:

here is a reliable review of the velo sub

Last edited:
Thanks for your inputs, I agree room size matters. But I like to play loud and room size is 15 X 15.

I was using 100W but at some level is was not performing well and sounds bad (bass looks like... woofer is going to explode).

So thought to upgrade the Sub (more wattage). Budget is under 35K.... Velodyne preferred but out of budget. So Now Options are Klipsch, JBL, Yamaha.

Yes, these both are under my budget but:
1. Both are 110 V and need adaptor to convert 220V to 110V (another accessory and adding more cost)
2. If I am thinking to upgrade the Sub then I want to go above 150W-200W because of future plans. I may need to upgrade the wattage of Sub couple of years (due to shifting).

So want to upgrade at least 300W or more.

Yes, these both are under my budget but:
1. Both are 110 V and need adaptor to convert 220V to 110V (another accessory and adding more cost)
it looks like their subs below VTF1 do not have dual voltage.

VTF1 onwards supports both regions

2. If I am thinking to upgrade the Sub then I want to go above 150W-200W because of future plans. I may need to upgrade the wattage of Sub couple of years (due to shifting).

So want to upgrade at least 300W or more.
Wattage does not tell the whole story!!

With a sub, one would like one that can
1. Go the deapth - play low
2. Be powerful - play loud
3. Have tight bass - play with good transient response
4. Have flat frequency response - play linearly (reproduces all tones at pretty much the same loudness level)
5. Reproduce the note that is expected to be reproduced - play with high accuracy (you dont want the sub to play 40Hz tone when it is required to play a 50Hz tone)

So with so many factors and cost of sub a constraint, one needs to necessarily sacrifice some features. So you need to choose what.

What a subwoofer does is move air.
1. Lower the frequency, More the air that needs to be moved/pushed to reproduce at the same loudness level that a higher frequency requires. Hence lower frequency reproduction requires larger and larger drivers (subwoofers)compared to higher frequency (tweeters).
2. Hence a smaller 12" driver can push as much air as a 15" driver. But it requires to do a lot more work to achieve what the 15" driver does quite easily with more efficiency.
3. Hence a more powerful amp is required by a 12" driver to do the same work that a 15" driver can. Extending this, one can see that a 15" can be a lot more powerful than the 12" one.
4. A ported sub can play louder than a sealed version. In sealed it is usually only the driver doing the work. In ported the box with the port helps to amplify sound.
5. Larger the ported box, lower the resonant frequency is. Hence lower it can play. Smaller the box, then higher the resonant frequency.
6. Hence you can put a smallish driver with a lowish powered amp in a large ported box and get a pretty powerful sub.
7. On the contrary, you could put the same in a small sealed version and get a pretty quite sub.
8. So to get more power, get a combination of large ported box with either a larger driver or a little more power full amp. And whola! Get all three and you will have a monstrous sub!
9. With limited budget you will not get all three together.
10. And of course you need to consider if its tight, accurate, and linear :D

A power amp costs money, more power and more money. So you are looking for a large ported since you need power. Moderate size - 10" to 12" sub with low to moderate power amp. And it should serve your needs!

What is ur current sub model? Sealed? Ported? How many watts - RMS / continuous (not dynamic / peak power)?

Last edited:
Great.
I was using sealed Onkyo SKW-320 100 Watt RMS (Dual 8" drivers) the bass was good, and weight was good too. But as I had mention on high volume (on bass effect) sometimes it seems like it is going to blast (e.g. movie Predators firing sound scenes, and in some effects of movie Avataar).

Called to store today and they told me the discounted price (see below)

Klipsch SW-450 : 32200/-
Klipsch SW-110 : 39000/-
Klipsch SW-112 : 52100/-
Velodyne EQ-Max15 : 60400/-

I guess they discounted 7% on MRP.

thats a pretty low powered sub. A 200 watt sub with port would be powerful in that room size. Sacrifice a little accuracy for power. Check subs and see if it sounds good to you before you buy!

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back