Krell The Powerful!!!! My precious :p

rud3dawg

In June when I got my AVR and paired it with a pair of klipsch RF-82s I thought it was pretty amazing. Well guess what!! I was wrong, was like a kid who for the first time saw a mountain and was pleasantly thrilled but the truth descends much too slowly and more vehemently as they say!!! I realized the hillock was just my first experience and when I started walking around noticing the actual mountains, realized what heights of beauty (or beauty of heights) I was missing and so began the hunt for my very own proper Stereo Integrated. The two words that were on my mind all through September to December... The agony of not being able to listen to some of my favorites tracks the way that I wanted to...

I started out looking for more refined ness, detail and better mids and fresh and clear highs.. went all ways to avoid spending as much as possible but I guess it couldnt be worked out any other wayand then I decided to start with a small time and low budget Stereo​
Integrated but the Idea quickly disappeared from my mind like a dead corpse of a player about to re-spawn (gamer reference). More like pictures your favorite scene in a movie, that you were itching to see again..

Moved on to the next better option a mid range Stereo integrated or an entry level Audiophile grade Stereo integrated.. and also had a brief plan to grab a power amp. Following some suggestions I did lean towards that.. but later realized its not the power that I am craving for(Though I wouldnt mind having more in my setup) It was detail and better Soundstage (Yes,by now I could name the characteristics of the setup that I wanted or found etcbut I still am learning the alphabets.. ) ..

Then came the offer of the life time the Yamaha As-2000 (Which many people say suggested against but my mind was set pretty much after checking out some reviews and having a demo, though not for long ) for about 78k INRreached few dealers from couple of references.. Several times, wise gurus and audiophile masters suggested that Yamaha would not be the right choice for longer and more permanent solution to all my desperation and agony.. but finding nothing at that price I jumped at the option and by November 3rd week I pooled up the enough. And when I reached the same dealer.. I was shocked to learn that the price is only if I buy a Yamaha CDs-2000 *(Doh!!! Should ve asked whats the catch.. or searched for an asterisk mark during the call.. ).Seeing that I dont have more than a dozen CDs left with me now I didnt find any sense in trying to go for it..
Disappointed and desperate I was looking for all the other options. Got couple of chances.. like the NAD 356bee and 375Bee. I am not into warm sounding amps.. was almost out of patience and hope.. when.. Voila!!!Srinisunder my Savior :D put up his Krell 400Xi for sale!!!!! Wooohoo.. .. Krell!!!(to be honest I didnt know 'Jack' about it and couldnt even get an audition in this beautiful city dominated with several narrow and business mined incompetent people, as usual did some reading) But then when I approached the distant voice.. :p I mean the voice on the other side of the phone..my FLASH~y friend said.. go for it!!!(Even though he could hardly checkout my msgs. I always bothered him and he somehow had the patience to bear my constant noobish questions...but for all that I put you thru Flash, Thanks you!!!! quite busy this guru/Entrepreneur was) and some other friends also gave a thumbs up .. quite an odd combination anyone would say butin the END I am the one gleaming with pride and satisfaction and what an addition it is..!! and btw.. I still was unable to ply the FLACS I have.. but lucky me I had some very good friends.. and a joyous Sajjad.. lent me his M1 ..I had tried the M1 with my AVR and there was but very little differencebut with the Krell .. I have no words to describe and they difference is eons apart. Since that blissful day I spend about 6-8 hrs in front of my setup every weekend.. and in the morning everyday about 45 mins to 1 hr before I go to workJust cant get enough of it.

Few final bits I wanted to add are
  • Krell+Klipsch with the right source, ICs and cables.. K&K is pretty sweet..
  • Cables matter and matter A LOT!!!!!! Thanks to Srini I have had a lot of ICs and speaker cables to try out.
  • Emotiva XDA-1 is my current DAC which is decent enough for just getting by
  • Lastly.. I know I have probably bored many here with my self-centered story but hey this has been a big milestone in my walk towards the way I like to hear my music. :eek:

Emotiva XDA-1

A simple VFM DAC which might not be in the same league as M1 for sure but does the job for me..... for now ;).. its a bit nerfed in the USB port but I guess once I build my HTPC i can be a bit more happy :D

These are few pics taken after getting the XDA-1.

My opinions:
Krell is just amazing. Albeit my very minimal exposure to but only a few Stereo integrateds. I have seen my favorite songs filling up the room for real with a beautiful soundstage & rich detail in each and every track i played. And Its true about Krell. The awesome power reserves truly exist. Its nature is very sincere i.e. Its a neutral amp.. it just amplifies the exact same stuff you send to it. Feed it garbage and you get the same. Its design is very simplistic and beautifully shiny knobs and buttons with retro style matte faces. Pretty thin and anyone who hasnt heard about it will pleasantly be surprised with its capability. Krell is very neutral and Klipsch I can honestly declare are not bright. For all who would feel its ludicrous to use such powerful amp to drive such sensitive speakers (98dB). I guess this amp would suit my taste and the genres I listen to more aptly than anything that I had planned on buying earlier..!!!!
:yahoo: :yahoo: :signthankspin: :yahoo: :yahoo:

P.S:To all the gurus for all the advice. Thanks you kindly!!!! :signthankspin::signthankspin:

Last edited:
Krell!

Well, to be honest, I don't know "jack" about it... but it's one of those names... the great names of hifi! I'm sure I'd be very, very happy to live with your amp, and a quick read of the Audiophile review, via Google, did nothing to change my mind, and nor does your report of its characteristics.

Krell!

So, do you find yourself rolling your tongue around that word, that name? Is your wife complaining about you whispering it in the night? Because I think it might do that to me. :)

No, your story was not "boring," it was a really great post. Congratulations, and wishing you every happiness in the years to come :D

Krell!

Well, to be honest, I don't know "jack" about it... but it's one of those names... the great names of hifi! I'm sure I'd be very, very happy to live with your amp, and a quick read of the Audiophile review, via Google, did nothing to change my mind, and nor does your report of its characteristics.

Yeah i agree, its just one of those names that's synonymous with Audiophile world... Well its report was just like its signature...more neutral than anything else :D. ergo shouldn't change your opinion tooo :D. I have not doubt that many would be happy living with this beaut ....

Krell!

So, do you find yourself rolling your tongue around that word, that name? Is your wife complaining about you whispering it in the night? Because I think it might do that to me.

Ahhhh well I tried calling it out so many ways... and you can see one of the combos.. K&K :D. But the secret to my content is I can enjoy this to my heart's content that's the reason I am still happy and smiling because I have no one to drag me away by my ears...
No, your story was not "boring," it was a really great post. Congratulations, and wishing you every happiness in the years to come :D

[/QUOTE]

Thank you kindly, Thad E Ginathom!! always a pleasure to get any compliment from a Guru

But then when I approached the distant voice.. :p I mean the voice on the other side of the phone..my FLASH~y friend said.. go for it!!!(Even though he could hardly checkout my msgs. I always bothered him and he somehow had the patience to bear my constant noobish questions...but for all that I put you thru Flash, Thanks you!!!! quite busy this guru/Entrepreneur was) and some other friends also gave a thumbs up .. quite an odd combination anyone would say butin the END I am the one gleaming with pride and satisfaction and what an addition it is..!!

The gamble paid off .
Or else it would have been my neck on the noose.

All's well that's ends well.

Really happy for you Dawg.

The gamble paid off .
Or else it would have been my neck on the noose.

All's well that's ends well.

Really happy for you Dawg.

Lols.. nothin to it Flash ol boi!!!! If it didnt.. you do remember I said I d start another setup just for music with the Krell, but wouldn't let it go :D... and thank you!!! :) :eek:hyeah:

rud3dawg, firstly, which game were you referring to? Quite out of touch with it, so didnt get it. P)

Actually, congrats first, on getting some serious kit! Great to read about your new found joy in listening to your favorite music.
Did you have the xda 1 when you tried the M1?

rud3dawg, firstly, which game were you referring to? Quite out of touch with it, so didnt get it. P)
Several FPS- First person shooter games have rounds where you re spawn after dying.. Like Counter-strike, Day of the defeat, ... Call of duty Modern warfare 1,2,3... Battfield series...like my current personal favorite Battlefield 3

Actually, congrats first, on getting some serious kit! Great to read about your new found joy in listening to your favorite music.
Did you have the xda 1 when you tried the M1?

Thanks a lot iaudio, Yup I ad the XDA-1 and did compare for a short while with the M1.. I was using USB on both switching and comparing is what I did..

Thanks for summing up the journey. It's lovely to hear someone's experience. I can totally relate to you. I am myself a life long traveler. I myself enjoy the travel more than the destination. So, I can totally understand the thrill you have had all the way.

Like they say - welcome home boy. Enjoy your woogie.

Thanks for summing up the journey. It's lovely to hear someone's experience. I can totally relate to you. I am myself a life long traveler. I myself enjoy the travel more than the destination. So, I can totally understand the thrill you have had all the way.

Like they say - welcome home boy. Enjoy your woogie.

Thanks for the wishes Ranjeetrain.Appreciate it !!!! Yeah the walk was well worth now that I reach the right Destination...gives me the shivers thinking about what if I couldnt make it this soon....would ve probably been raving n rant on the forum :p .

Congratulations. Your journey to match making for klipsch proves again that every component in the chain is important and should be given equal attention while matching. I am glad you are enjoying the setup finally. Now get a good studio mic, record your favorite tracks from your setup and post them here. ;)

Congratulations. Your journey to match making for klipsch proves again that every component in the chain is important and should be given equal attention while matching. I am glad you are enjoying the setup finally. Now get a good studio mic, record your favorite tracks from your setup and post them here. ;)

:eek: Studio mic... record.. but I need to improve the sound even further.. :D.. there's still the source, Dac, :D hehehe Anyways.. thanks a lot Kittu!!hope you get your setup done too.. :eek:hyeah:

Congrats! Quite some enviable gear you are acquiring ;)
BTW, just curious, how do you switch between listening to music from your Krell to movies on your Yamaha?
Or have you connected the krell from the pre-out of your yamaha?

Wow, nice post,, Almost i traveled along with "rud3dawg" over mobile conversation almost daily from the day he asked for Krell. I am very reluctant to give it to him and told it may not match with Klipsch. But he took an bold step and could find an mate for it. :clapping:

Yes.."Cables can make a difference" thatz what i keep telling and for to create an "cable followers" wing i have sent bunch of different brand of speaker cables + few IC's and happy to know that it worked out.. Yes i know getting some 10 different brands of speaker cables at a time for cable rolling is not easy. Fortunately i could do that and let others enjoy.;)

Once again congrats on your setup and no more up-gradation for years to come except a good DAC, get settled with these kits.:)

Congrats! Quite some enviable gear you are acquiring ;)
BTW, just curious, how do you switch between listening to music from your Krell to movies on your Yamaha?
Or have you connected the krell from the pre-out of your yamaha?

Yamaha... what Yamaha!!????

:p just kidding... been long since I wanted to do anything but listen to music...been hogging the living room and playin music @ decently high volumes making it difficult for my folks to communicate several times in the week.. :p but I did try the HT bypass of the Krell.. and somehow the sound signature is also different and so..not that keen on using it for HT... :indifferent14:

and thanks a lot gazal.. :) ofcourse I do remember our conversations whn I was planning on the AVR :D

Congrats on your purchase, Rudawg.

Srini, would love to know what's next for you ?

Viki

Viki

Sold the krell since landed with Quicksilver Mid Monoblocks(tube based) from our forum member "Sidvee". Now completely happy with the combination of Quicksilver with Thiel and no signs of change for now years ahead.(hope so):)

Regards

Thanks for the wishes Ranjeetrain.Appreciate it !!!! Yeah the walk was well worth now that I reach the right Destination...gives me the shivers thinking about what if I couldnt make it this soon....would ve probably been raving n rant on the forum :p .
So it was a question of you saving a whole lot of money or hifivision saving a whole lot of server space eh!:D

Dawg .... has gone berserk (with joy)! Next upgrade for you ... a TL FS for that wholesome complete bass!
Congrats .... and 'remember' what I shared with you on PM.

Wow, nice post,, Almost i traveled along with "rud3dawg" over mobile conversation almost daily from the day he asked for Krell. I am very reluctant to give it to him and told it may not match with Klipsch. But he took an bold step and could find an mate for it. :clapping:

Yes.."Cables can make a difference" thatz what i keep telling and for to create an "cable followers" wing i have sent bunch of different brand of speaker cables + few IC's and happy to know that it worked out.. Yes i know getting some 10 different brands of speaker cables at a time for cable rolling is not easy. Fortunately i could do that and let others enjoy.;)

Once again congrats on your setup and no more up-gradation for years to come except a good DAC, get settled with these kits.:)

Hehe!!! Thanks once again Srini.. for the Krell and for all the advice,support and help .. (Doesn't mean that i would not call you with more questions..) . Again.. My setup has come to life for sure because i found the right pair of ICs and cables to go along with..:) thanks to your very patient,selfless and timely help!! Agreed I have to look for a DAC preferably a neutral one which can be comparable to M1 at the least :D. I was not Bold by myself.. I had a voice guiding me and also your experience with the amp solidified the decision deal :)

Viki

Thanks a lot Viki :)

So it was a question of you saving a whole lot of money or hifivision saving a whole lot of server space eh!:D

hahah more like I saved you people from a lot of agony and the Admins a lot of mess to handle.. in this regards I d like you guys to remember this noob whenever you have any advices, suggestions and also offers :D

Dawg .... has gone berserk (with joy)! Next upgrade for you ... a TL FS for that wholesome complete bass!
Congrats .... and 'remember' what I shared with you on PM.

Hmmm agreed that the TL as per the reviews I ve read are wholesome in the Bass metrics but do they suit my genres of music???.... Rock , RnB, Rap .... :sad:

Last edited:
Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back