KT 88 Driver Stage Alternatives.

That black coating is a special paint made by only one company on the planet and it’s a heat sinking paint. It’s very expensive paint / coating.

Some tubes have it and they are all expensive as one of my favorite driver stage tube which is EF12, first seen in Klangfilm F2a amps.

Really. I wasn't aware about this. Sounds interesting.

A black coating is also being used by Psvane for a certain line of KT88s that are being sold for a premium. Pretty sure it doesn’t do anything other than hide the fact that’s it the cheaper tube inside.

Will fondly look forward to your well narrated and detailed listening impressions as usual. I enjoy reading them :)

The tubes, 6SL7 GT Tungsol Smoked Glass, are nicely burned it.

In the interregnum, two more things changed. I changed the placement of my weiss Minvera and it's now sitting on top of my rack (pic attached) (I had kept it on its sides at 90 degree in a diagonal manner to fit in the cupboard of my tv unit for years) and changed the input from coaxial to optical into my weiss.

Whether it one of the above three factors, or all of them, I hear the best sound in my system till date. Meaty tonality, just about sufficient details, good timing and a significantly reduced noise floor.

Almost all, save the poorest of the recording sound good. Makes me listen to music more. A clear marker of an improved system.

My technical audiophile buddies say, placement of Minerva enabled the clocks to shine, reducing jitter and noise, whislt non technical ones, point to NOS tube magic and optical inputs. I don't care untill it sounds good.

Hifi is a bloody mystery.

Attachments

• IMG20240407150222-01.jpeg
    IMG20240407150222-01.jpeg
    163.4 KB · Views: 16
My recent listening experience with 2 300B tube brands tells me that the Shuguang 300B-98 which had clocked 7000+ hrs are way better sounding than the Psvane 300B-N mesh plate which would have clocked around 400+ hrs. Not happy about this.

My recent listening experience with 2 300B tube brands tells me that the Shuguang 300B-98 which had clocked 7000+ hrs are way better sounding than the Psvane 300B-N mesh plate which would have clocked around 400+ hrs. Not happy about this.

This atleast suggest that not all tubes are same and they do affect the sound (for good, bad or worse), irrespective of the amplifier design.

This atleast suggest that not all tubes are same and they do affect the sound (for good, bad or worse), irrespective of the amplifier design.
I have not given up on the Psvane yet. I think by replacing the tube socket the Psvane should be ok. Currently they are hooked via an 8 pin to 4 pin adaptor socket.

I have not given up on the Psvane yet. I think by replacing the tube socket the Psvane should be ok. Currently they are hooked via an 8 pin to 4 pin adaptor socket.
Don’t do that. Once you have proper socket, things will take a dramatic change.

I am in the process of converting an EL34 / 6L6 amp to F2a SE. Adapters don’t do justice. Single channel done and used a proper F2a socket and it’s awesome. Day - Night difference. Sounds like I have subs inside my BS now, of course everything else is at another level.

I respect the honesty and dedication to follow your own trail and use your own ears--and to trust them. More than once things that should work better have not worked better for me :) And many times I've been left scratching my head for why something that can't work seems half-decent. Audio is a kick in the pants...and the head, sometimes. Bravo, Hari.

And sometimes, when one hears a great song, it just doesn't even matter and we are smiling again--realizing that we get to hear a lot of great music when we work on stuff a lot spin.gif

I respect the honesty and dedication to follow your own trail and use your own ears--and to trust them. More than once things that should work better have not worked better for me :) And many times I've been left scratching my head for why something that can't work seems half-decent. Audio is a kick in the pants...and the head, sometimes. Bravo, Hari.

And sometimes, when one hears a great song, it just doesn't even matter and we are smiling again--realizing that we get to hear a lot of great music when we work on stuff a lot View attachment 83879
This brings me back to Soulnote design philosophy that "some times trying to improve static performance could actually degrade the sound."

Thanks, I take your point and don't disagree. Finally had time to read your link. Was referring to almost the opposite--your Psv vs. Shug experience & simply saying "it happens" as gesture of moral support to a fellow experimenter.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back