L Subramaniam & Stephane Grappelli - Conversations

madbullram

Conversations is one album that has mesmerized me for long time, 3 cassettes have been murdered by playing non-stop and finally got hold of the CD I was looking for. This album has 8 beautiful songs and all of them are heavenly.

Anyway, I can go on and on about this album which for me is one of all time best in the fusion world. I mean LS is so so well complemented by Stephane, they come across as gods in dance in unison lost in the world of music. They both gel so well you sometimes think they have one mind and soul...okay okay.

Though there are many classics in Conversation album, my most favourite (not the usual choice) is the track 3 Paganini Caprice, a fast fusion which just transports me to the music relam of LS and SG and I see them smiling and competing with each other to glory! Please shut doors, get comfortable, close your eyes and hear this song, feel the magic, and be transported :)

Now my question is, I have not heard any other album of LS for long. Wanted to know if anyone has any more suggestion of LS's best fusion that you think I should buy?

Last edited:
Violin Legends (or) Legends Forever. Both the albums have the same tracks. One is priced well above the other (for no imaginable reason).

This is released by Sony Music. It has LS with SG and Yehudi Menuhin. There is a track called Journey (Part II), which, for my taste, appealed more than conversations (a legendary album in itself).

Others - L Subramaiam and Bismillah Khan - You can hear the softest way to make Shehnai sing in this album. It feels like someone is tickling your skin and gives goose pimples. My brother, who doesnt listen to Hindustani was absolutely mesmerised.

L Subramaniam and Palghat Mani Iyer - Good enough

Saaz Violin by Music Today - Has three tracks of LS, but sounds like electric violin. The CD does not provide details and i am struggling to figure out what could be the reason.

There is a Maestros Choice of Music Today that i dont have. You can check his site (indianviolin i think) which has the discography.

Conversations and Violin Legends convinced me to buy more of Yehudi Menuhin. I chanced on a Ravishankar - Yehudi Menuhin album (East meets West), another absolute delight.

In Bangalore airport, i also ran into a Yehudi Menuhin Violin Conertos ( a ten album set) for a steal.

I have a 2-CD album where LS is playing with the Leipzig Orchestra. It's too late now, just saw your thread, will give you the details tomorrow. I have to confess that in general I do not like fusion, they are usually confusion for me. But I liked the one I am talking about here. More in the morning.

Regards.

Hi Ram,

Here is the information. And please do not thank me again, essentially for the same information.

On the cover it says:

Dr. L Subramaniam
Presents the Leipzig Philaharmonic Orchestra
Conducted by Maestro Dr. Michael Koehler
Live at Neues Gewanhaus Leipzig, Germany

The album contains 2 CD's and a DVD. I have not watched the DVD yet. All the items were composed by LS himself.

The 1st CD was recorded live at Gewandhaus zu Leipzig.

The 2nd CD was recorded live in the USSR with two formerly Soviet Symphony Orchestras.

The 4th piece on the DVD was recorded live at the Royal Albert Hall with the London Philaharmonic Orchestra conducted by Maestro Daniel Nazareth.

This is available from Sony Music in India. The quality is not that good as I expected. But nevertheless I loved the music.

BTW, I forgot to mention that at least one of the pieces contain vocals by Kavitha Krishnamurthy, LS's wife.

I bought it from a local store.

Regards.

Last edited:
Hai MBR,

India 2000 by LS is another good fusion album. I have the cassette transfered to HDD. Will burn a CD if you want.

N.Murali

asit da
is it your cd
Live At Neues Gewandhaus Leipzig, Germany

L. Subramaniam

CD (Set of 3) Rs 499

PRODUCT DETAILS

Format: CD

Number of Discs: 3

Music Director: L. Subramaniam

Label: SONY MUSIC

Year of Original Release: 2009

Our Release Date: May 15, 2009

Catalogue #: 88697467422

Genre: Music Indian Carnatic Classical Instrumental

TRACK LISTING

Disc 1
Track Name Artist
1. Turbulence L. Subramaniam Feat. Ambi Subramaniam
2. Freedom Symphony L. Subramaniam Feat. Bindu Subramaniam

Disc 2
Track Name Artist
1. Fantasy On Vedic Chants L. Subramaniam
2. Double Concerto L. Subramaniam

Disc 3
Track Name Artist
1. DVD : Introduction L. Subramaniam
2. Montage L. Subramaniam
3. Freedom Symphony (Movement I & II) L. Subramaniam
4. Turbulence (Movement I, II & III) L. Subramaniam
5. Bonus Tracks - Spring Symphony L. Subramaniam

SYNOPSIS

Hi Ram,

Here is the information. And please do not thank me again, essentially for the same information.

On the cover it says:

Dr. L Subramaniam
Presents the Leipzig Philaharmonic Orchestra
Conducted by Maestro Dr. Michael Koehler
Live at Neues Gewanhaus Leipzig, Germany

The album contains 2 CD's and a DVD. I have not watched the DVD yet. All the items were composed by LS himself.

The 1st CD was recorded live at Gewandhaus zu Leipzig.

The 2nd CD was recorded live in the USSR with two formerly Soviet Symphony Orchestras.

The 4th piece on the DVD was recorded live at the Royal Albert Hall with the London Philaharmonic Orchestra conducted by Maestro Daniel Nazareth.

This is available from Sony Music in India. The quality is not that good as I expected. But nevertheless I loved the music.

BTW, I forgot to mention that at least one of the pieces contain vocals by Kavitha Krishnamurthy, LS's wife.

I bought it from a local store.

Regards.

Hi Somen,

Mine is almost the same, but as I described above, I have only 2 CDs and the third disc is a DVD. How is the quality of the CDs? Mine is only very average, not good. But the music is very very good.

Regards.

Hi,
Thanks MBR for bringing back the old memories.
Oh!! Well "conversations" is mind blowing. That was the first album i listened on LS during my college cultural festival (Our Music troupe did play a track from "conversations" then! Probably 15yrs back or may be even later!!). Wonderful!! (After which LS collection was added to my fan-list). Its more than a decade now that i have listened though!!

I do have a cassette. Can you let me know the cd cost and source? Let me try to lay hands on the same.

Ram, this was my first cassette of L.S. If you like conversations , you'll enjoy his album "Super instinct" also. Somehow i couldnt get the CD.Now it comes as a double album i think.

Last edited:
Hi,
I am a great fan of his brother L.Shankar. If you liked Conversation then you should check for Spanish Wave, Indian Express/ Mani & co, Blossom, Garland. if looking for serious music then checkout Matchless.
He has a concert in chennai today(ad in sunday TOI) or tomorrow please check out as they may have a stall at the venue where you may get his albums.

My favorite from the conversations album is track -2 "Memories". always evokes a pleasant misty moonlit night and being in a row boat out in the middle. I heard it first in 1988 or so and only chanced on a CD version last year. It is a terrible quality recording by label Bayshore.

I also have DVD of LS with Jean Luc Ponty and Billy Cobham at Gateway of India.

Quite nice. Thanks for the link to the other stuff. :)

Cheers

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back