Ladies in Jazz

My friend carried following CDs from UK and it reached Kerala. I'll getting it tomorrow or day after. I had searched many stores here, but none of them had these. Next I tried to get it from USA but my friend's travel pan got changed last minute.

1) Piece by Piece by Katie Melua
2) Call off the Search by Katie Melua
3) Songbird by Eva Cassidy

GeorgeO - Thank you for offering me a copy of Songbird. I promise to disturb you in future when I face similar probs :)

My friend carried following CDs from UK and it reached Kerala. I'll getting it tomorrow or day after. I had searched many stores here, but none of them had these. Next I tried to get it from USA but my friend's travel pan got changed last minute.

1) Piece by Piece by Katie Melua
2) Call off the Search by Katie Melua
3) Songbird by Eva Cassidy

GeorgeO - Thank you for offering me a copy of Songbird. I promise to disturb you in future when I face similar probs :)

yeah!!!the hmv's are too good in comparison to the music world,odyysey,landmark!,etc.....was about to buy the eva cassidy stuff from ebay!(double the cost of orgnl cd!) ended up makin my sis get all my fav cd's from hmv-ireland!....

To each his own I guess but I have heard Patricia live at the Green Mill in Chicago and her singing abilities/vocal dexterity/composition of lyrics etc. at-least IMO are astounding. And as subjective as we all are I never really cared for the "Black voice" in female jazz - too husky and masculine for my taste. I do like Diana Krall as well.
Cheers
Sid

Patricia barber vs Ella Fitzgerald :eek:

For me , both have their own functions:

Patricia when I am in the scientist mode (doing tweaks to the system). Once this done, the cd is banished to the nether lands of the cupboard

Ella When I want to listen to MUSIC (Almost all the while)

i think most of the discussion here is about lady jazz singers...but two ladies albeit in a different mold but very much within the locus of jazz are Carla Bley and Myra Melford .... Escalator Over Hill (Carla Bley and Paul Haines) and Even the Sounds Shine (Myra Melford Extended Ensemble) make for quite involved and at times difficult listening...Myra Melford spent some time in Kolkata musically investigating the Harmonium and Carla has pieces like A.I.R. (All India Radio) and Rawalpindi Blues in the aforementioned album....

interestingly the same AIR signature tune (the tune that underpins Bley's A.I.R.) can also be heard in the delightful Kuruketra from Trilok Gurtu's Massical...Bley's Escalator in the Hill ends with a 27 minute repetitive hiss (And It's Again) the sonic equivalent of a Rothko monochrome...

Last edited:
If you like Candy Dulfer( I picked up her CD Candy Store, on a recent trip to the US), check her performing on Youtube-awesome. Pamela Williams album, Saxtress is also very good.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back