Ladies in Jazz

What about Eva Cassidy, one of my all time favourites? A huge loss to music when she died.

yup i go with you on this one!...one of my all time fav too!....love her rendition of sting's fields of gold....all those women having their name start with EVA are beautiful in one way or other!!!!!!!(eva mendez,eva longoria,etc!)

Last edited:
Renee Olstead - bought her CD for 100 bucks from the discount bin at Music World, Kolkata.

She's new - was actually a kid (14/15 years old?!?) when her CD was released - I didn't know that when I picked the album up. else I wouldn't have. :p

Unlike the Americans on Amazon, I was - well, "impressed" is far from the word I want to use - "pleasantly surprised" would be somewhat more like it. There is a sign of talent in there, somewhere but she needs to hone it and she needs to travel long roads in order to do so.

Last edited:
I asked my friend to pick two CDs from US, when he comes next week.

1) Songbird - Eva Classidy
2) Worrisome heart - Melody Gardot (I am falling in love with her :))))

Hi,
Check out Sarah Vaughan. Brazilian Romance is a fab cd.
The n Crazy & Mixed up is also good.
She does the Ellington Songbook & I love Brazil.
I have 10 of her cds, all great without EXCEPTION. Ofcourse the group varies all the time.
Best
Suresh Lalwani

for me the first lady of jazz will always be ella fitzerald..

Sir,
I would not put Natalie Cole in the elite company of Ella & Billie Holiday. These two were icons. They produced countless albums.Please check Sarah Vaughan. Your opinion may change.Brazilian Romance, Crazy & Mixed Uo, will not dissapoint you, i am willing to take a bet on it.
Natalie Cole is no doubt talented, but in a different league as of today
Suresh Lalwani

Some great ladies who have contributed to Jazz are billie holiday, Alice Coltrane, Bessie Smith, Ella Fitzgerald, Natalie Cole, Diane Reeves and of course Diana Krall.

There are lots more but these are only some I have albums of.

Bye the way she was an interpreter between Stan Getz Joao Gilberto & Antonio Carlos Jobim. None of the above spoke a language common to the three. Thats how Astrud came into the picture. She was Joao's wife. Later divorced.
It was Stan who invited her to sing Girl from Ipanema.

Pop is normally ignored when folks are talking about all time greats.But my earliest memory of falling in love with a female voice is Karen Carpenter.I was 12 years old and Yesterday Once More,We've Only Just Begun,Close To You,Top Of The World and the rest were imbued with a special magic.Many decades later...having passed through various genres of music,currently a little bit of jazz,but mostly western classical....Karen's voice evokes nostalgia like no other singer can....Listening and singing along to my favorite Carpenter song as I post....

When I was young
Id listened to the radio
Waitin for my favorite songs
When they played Id sing along
It made me smile
Those were such happy times
And not so long ago
How I wondered where theyd gone
But theyre back again
Just like a long lost friend
All the songs I loved so well
Every sha-la-la-la
Every wow-wow-wow
Still shines
Every shing-a-ling-a-ling
That theyre starting to sings
So fine
When they get to the part
Where hes breakin her heart
It can really make me cry
Just like before
Its yesterday once more
Lookin back on how it was
In years gone by
And the good times that I had
Makes today seem rather sad
So much has changed
It was songs of love that
I would sing to then
And Id memorize each word
Those old melodies
Still sound so good to me
As they melt the years away
Every.....
All my best memories
Come back clearly to me
Some can even make me cry
Just like before
Its yesterday once more
Every....

Pop is normally ignored when folks are talking about all time greats.But my earliest memory of falling in love with a female voice is Karen Carpenter.I was 12 years old and Yesterday Once More,We've Only Just Begun,Close To You,Top Of The World and the rest were imbued with a special magic.Many decades later...having passed through various genres of music,currently a little bit of jazz,but mostly western classical....Karen's voice evokes nostalgia like no other singer can....Listening and singing along to my favorite Carpenter song as I post....

When I was young
Id listened to the radio
Waitin for my favorite songs
When they played Id sing along
It made me smile
Those were such happy times
And not so long ago
How I wondered where theyd gone
But theyre back again
Just like a long lost friend
All the songs I loved so well
Every sha-la-la-la
Every wow-wow-wow
Still shines
Every shing-a-ling-a-ling
That theyre starting to sings
So fine
When they get to the part
Where hes breakin her heart
It can really make me cry
Just like before
Its yesterday once more
Lookin back on how it was
In years gone by
And the good times that I had
Makes today seem rather sad
So much has changed
It was songs of love that
I would sing to then
And Id memorize each word
Those old melodies
Still sound so good to me
As they melt the years away
Every.....
All my best memories
Come back clearly to me
Some can even make me cry
Just like before
Its yesterday once more
Every....

I remember that ... this kind of simplicity and purity in lyrics and voice is rarely to be found nowadays with every artist strutting around and posturing in an "sexy" manner...

cheers

and what about Rainy Days and Mondays...really these songs are redolent with the profligate memories of youth..those pure, wicked, innocent days of juvenile mayhem...

She also has a Latin Album. I enjoy that too. She sings mostly standards.
I will check for the title, it could be The Latin Touch, but I may be off target.

Yes, she does tend to sing standards, mostly. I haven't checked out her The Latin Touch CD yet, but I will do some research into it. I've heard that she's done some French stuff as well - there's some on the SACD I have. Need to investigate further.

Just going off topic for a sec, Jazz fans and talking about male Jazz vocalists. Have you heard of Roger Cicero? If you haven't, here's a sample: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uwDFM1K4ws

Last edited:
Astrud had a soothing voice and an interesting accent. Her tracks were always short. Improvised little. She had an album with Stanley Turrentine. Look for it.
Suresh Lalwani

Oh yea... she's a tough one to find.... if any of you see her vinyl, gimme a shout... and i'll come running!

I love Karen Carpenter-I too grew up listening to her music

Suresh: Diva and The Shadow of your Smile are the 2 that I have.The first one has The Girl from Ipanema.

Here's another exceptional talent: Esperanza Spalding, hugely talented and so young many YouTube videos of her.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back