Laptop as 3D HD player?

amol12

Has anyone been successful in playing 3d videos on a laptop connected to a 3D TV via HDMI/DisplayPort?

I have a dell laptop with DisplayPort and can get a DisplayPort-HDMI cable. Just a check if anyone has already tried and has been succesful.

3D videos available now all are just Side-By-Side encoded at 1080p. So it will just play like a normal video file and you just need to manually enable 3D on your laptop and set as side-by-side.

If the resolution does not exceed 1080p then even a vga cable is good enough to play it !!

3D videos available now all are just Side-By-Side encoded at 1080p. So it will just play like a normal video file and you just need to manually enable 3D on your laptop and set as side-by-side.

If the resolution does not exceed 1080p then even a vga cable is good enough to play it !!

you mean enable 3D on my TV correct?

Thanks! Will try that.
Life would have been simpler if VT20 would have allowed manually enabling 3D over viera connect!

best is just copy the 3d video to hdd and play it via usb and manually enable 3D.

In VT20 its not possible to enable 3d once the video starts playing from hard disk/internet (vierra tools). At least I have not found a way.
If I enable 3D manually and then start viera tools, it switches back to 2d.

Update : connected laptop through VGA - again 3d not supported by vt20. It says only over HDMI!
So to fool it I connected laptop to onkyo AVR (AVR -TV connected by HDMI) but it does not seem to work.

This could be the issue if you are trying it over VGA

According to Wikipedia: The DVI support : (Single) WUXGA (1,920 1,200) @ 60 Hz (Dual) Limited by copper bandwidth limitations, DVI source limitations, and DVI sink limitations.

The HDMI 1.4a support only 40962160p24 over a single link.

The VGA can go up to 2048x1536px @85 Hz (388 MHz), and rarely 2560x1920 @63 Hz.

If the MKV that you are trying to play is a Full HD Side-by-Side Stereoscopic file, then the actual size of it will be 1920x1080 + 1920x1080. So technically that works out to a resolution of 3840x1020 which is well beyond the capacity of the VGA connector.

Last edited:
Can you eloborate what you are trying to do and not succeed?
Playing via HDMI is easy and I have tried and watched 3D stuff using WDTV.

File format should be SBS of Top-Bottom. You can download mkvs with this formats.

Playing one such file should appear as two seperate images in the screen (side by side or top and bottom). If two images do not appear, the file is wrong.
Depending on how they appear, you should select Menu->Settings->3D->SBS/Top Bottom.

Menu->Settings->3D->Auto will work only with 3D enabled Bluray player as source. Everything else will require manually setting this entry.

I think I got the issue. I dont have any mkv capable player except my laptop. And my laptop does not have hdmi (it has displayport). So I will need a Displayport-hdmi adaptor for my laptop or a mkv player.

Finally converted couple of mp4s to divx, copied to a usb drive and watched it!. TV supports 3d for videos on sd card/usb drive.

I think I got the issue. I dont have any mkv capable player except my laptop. And my laptop does not have hdmi (it has displayport). So I will need a Displayport-hdmi adaptor for my laptop or a mkv player.

Get the WDTV live.. It costs 5k and plays everything available on net directly without any conversion including 3D. It comes with remote also. Upscaling of the chip is top class too (much needed as the TVs upscaler is bad). Comes with frequent firmware upgrade whenever video files with new codecs enter the internet.

I have tried the laptop route and given up. Converting every file for the purpose of viewing is a tedious process and might end up losing details due to uncompression/compression in the process.

Get the WDTV live.. It costs 5k and plays everything available on net directly without any conversion including 3D. It comes with remote also. Upscaling of the chip is top class too (much needed as the TVs upscaler is bad). Comes with frequent firmware upgrade whenever video files with new codecs enter the internet.

I have tried the laptop route and given up. Converting every file for the purpose of viewing is a tedious process and might end up losing details due to uncompression/compression in the process.

I wasnt aware that WD TV plays 3d as well. but then why are costs of some media player which claim 3D so high? e.g. http://www.hifivision.com/media-streaming-players/21190-himedia-hd900b.html ~10K

Last edited:
Because it plays 3d bluray iso which requires it support 120hz frame sequential output and also needs a better processor. That is why it is so expensive.

WD TV LiVE will not play 3D..HDMI output is 1.3 only..
no media player below 10k will play 3D..

You are mistaken. Now most of the ripped 3D movies are available as side-by-side video frame where both the frames are encoded within 1080p resolution just like a 2D movie file and hence that can be played on WDTV Live or any other media player.

When played, it is displayed side-by-side and we have to manually enable 3D with side-by-side configuration on the tv and then it plays flawlessly.

I know that its 2 frames squished in 1920*1080 hbut still it will have high bit rates of 20Mbps or even more so the quality is excellent.

I personally have such rips of a lot of 3D movies each around 6GB to 18GB(Avatar) depending on quality and have used it and it WORKS !!! Only thing is to make sure the media player handles high bit rates of around 20Mbps.

You are mistaken. Now most of the ripped 3D movies are available as side-by-side video frame where both the frames are encoded within 1080p resolution just like a 2D movie file and hence that can be played on WDTV Live or any other media player.

When played, it is displayed side-by-side and we have to manually enable 3D with side-by-side configuration on the tv and then it plays flawlessly.

I know that its 2 frames squished in 1920*1080 hbut still it will have high bit rates of 20Mbps or even more so the quality is excellent.

I personally have such rips of a lot of 3D movies each around 6GB to 18GB(Avatar) depending on quality and have used it and it WORKS !!! Only thing is to make sure the media player handles high bit rates of around 20Mbps.

To add to the above matter if the file is in DIVx hd format, TV itself can play it. One has to manually enable the 3d SBS mode.

This could be the issue if you are trying it over VGA

If the MKV that you are trying to play is a Full HD Side-by-Side Stereoscopic file, then the actual size of it will be 1920x1080 + 1920x1080. So technically that works out to a resolution of 3840x1020 which is well beyond the capacity of the VGA connector.

Let me clear few doubts

FIRST :: An SBS 3D as one single image has 1080p resolution @ 24 fps (720p for each eye). The 3D bluray which has the frame sequential 3D format sends 1080p @ 24 fps to each eye i.e 48 fps. Rest of the magic is done by the glasses.

SECOND :: SBS 3D is not a player dependent format, and can be played by any player/computer/media box that has a decent GPU to encode H.264 mkvs and has an HDMI. All you need is a TV that supports playing 3D content (including SBS)

LASTLY :: 3D SBS does not need HDMI 1.4a (Frame sequential does) SBS can be played via normal HDMI 1.3

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back