Laptop for use as source

dillihifi

Hi all,

I would like some inputs from people in regards to the laptops to purchase. The major purpose is that it can double up as a source. I plan to rip CDs to FLAC and play them via a USB DAC through my hifi.

Budget for the Laptop is around 50-60k

would appriciate some suggestions in regard to the laptop, the config, and the USB DAC

Hi all,

I would like some inputs from people in regards to the laptops to purchase. The major purpose is that it can double up as a source. I plan to rip CDs to FLAC and play them via a USB DAC through my hifi.

would appriciate some suggestions in regard to the laptop, the config, and the USB DAC

the macbook pro would be perfect for you - but, apart from using the laptop as a source, what would the laptop be used for?

the macbook pro would be perfect for you - but, apart from using the laptop as a source, what would the laptop be used for?

Yes, the macbook pro might make a good choice, but is it available within 60 k?

macbook is not worth it , macbook pro is a different story. For amount you pay for a macbook you can find a laptop pc with better config.

Dell Studio 17 is what i use and is quite nice

That is not bad, Suri. If the cost is as you mention in India, then I am sure a better deal can be gotten by shopping from the US.

Yes, and there are very good used deals on macbook pro and macbooks in the USA.

macbook is not worth it , macbook pro is a different story. For amount you pay for a macbook you can find a laptop pc with better config.

Dell Studio 17 is what i use and is quite nice

Why would you say that the Macbooks are not worth it, audiodelic? Any particular reason?

what do you get in terms of hardware except a unix os. If you pay the same amount for a pc you would get better hardware features and for the tweakers there is always ubuntu.

... it can double up as a source. I plan to rip CDs to FLAC and play them via a USB DAC through my hifi......would appriciate some suggestions in regard to the laptop, the config, and the USB DAC

Have a look at this writeup. Am sure a lot of your doubts and questions should be answered directly by the best in the business.

Cheers.

what do you get in terms of hardware except a unix os. If you pay the same amount for a pc you would get better hardware features and for the tweakers there is always ubuntu.

I dont get you. The OS is software not hardware. And it is beautiful and effective software too.

I have done a bit of research on laptops recently as I was in the market until recently. Just been a month since I got myself a new one. But I fail to see how you see a huge differential in terms of performance.

Difference in hardware, yes. But then what good is hardware if it does not translate into performance. This is like getting 4 GB of RAM and then loading Vista. That is as good as your system having only about 2 GB of RAM effectively:).

So, the OS that you mention, gets a lot of things done and done very well. The one problem I will mention is that with the Macbook you are stuck if you are hooked to particular Windows games. Yes, there are ways to make Windows programs work. But it is not hundred percent foolproof. The fool proof solution is of course based on virtualization. But then you are not working in a Mac environment anymore. So, I wont consider that.

Until recently I was not aware of the OSX being a bit perfect audio reproduction system. That is an advantage straightaway. Among others. I guess it matters how open one is to adapt to new interfaces that would dictate the decision. That and whether one relies on Windows and allied programs to a great extent, I guess.

I love the looks of the macbook pro. Let me see what else I can shortlist before declaring the winner.

Further, I think there are less no. of software for the mac and I need to get used to it. If both the PC based and Mac based system are based on intel cpus I would rather go for either since I will be using the laptop as a source so the OS will not matter as long as it plays the music

Hi all,

Why isn't anyone telling him that he is taking a wrong path?
It is not worth to buy a laptop for using it as a source.
You could instead get a CD ripping player for a fraction of the cost.

If you are already planning to buy a laptop and are looking for special functions for rip your CDs or using as source, I dont think anything special is needed. Whatever laptop you are buying in that price range should suffice.

I recommend you have a look at the below laotops for ~28k, If you are not into to some serious application which require higher powered CPU. (Like audio streaming or remdering applications). These will take care of your 'source' needs.

R418
eBay India: Samsung R 418 Notebook Laptop ( DC 2 Ghz, 2 GB, 320GB ) (item 120477425302 end time 05-Nov-2009 10:54:00 IST)

R517
eBay India: Samsung Laptop R517 DC 2 GHz 2 GB Ram 250 GB HDD WiFi (item 220495014726 end time 13-Nov-2009 19:08:18 IST)

Hi,

As the laptop is being funded by the office so I get to choose the model they are willing to sanction somewhere around 50-60k. As I already have a HP laptop to work on office applications so I thought to turn this additional laptop to a music source. I have gone thru threads where people have built HTPC. Now I think that the laptop is sleeker, comes with a battery and screen and office requirements that this has to be a laptop.

I think using a good DAC (to be suggested by our experienced members) along with a laptop with the proper software can at least sound as good as a dedicated CDP in the range of 20K which would be sufficient to my needs.

Thanks for racking your brains again

Hi dillihifi,

I use a Macbook pro 15" (Intel). I actually am now in a dilemma that if ever I have to buy a laptop other than a mac, what would I do. It's just marvelous. The system integration for all applications is unbelievable. Everything works seamlessly (much much better than Windows and Linux and I am one of the very early users of linux and have tried almost all distributions so far). Contrary to common belief, there actually exist a lot of freeware for mac, actually tons. On the other hand, if you want to do work on the unix shell, you can do that to. The macbook pro boots up in a few seconds. It shuts down also ina few seconds. There are no virus to worry about. The OS is rock-solid stable, almost never hangs. Its capability as a bit-perfect digital source has already been mentioned.

Regards.

the laptop is being funded by the office so I get to choose the model they are willing to sanction somewhere around 50-60k

Oh I see.. :D
Then it makes sense to spend all of that money on the laptop you like.. ;)
Also, Did you enquire that anything other than laptop is strictly not allowed by the company? Like an LCD TV maybe?? :eek:hyeah:

On a serious note, I have the exact laptop for your needs..
Try out Dell Studio XPS 13 @ 60k.

It has
HDMI output,
1080p upscaling for normal DVDs,
5.1 Dolby Surround via HDMI
Support fot 1080p resolution (through external Blu ray player)
Dedicated illuminated Media Keys (Along with illuminated keyboard and Trackpad buttons)
2 Headphone out
NVIDIA GeForce MCP79MX for excellent graphics
4GB RAM and Windows 7
Only 2.2 kg.

Dell Studio XPS 13 Laptop Details
(Select Design, specs etc)

Reviews

(Walk through)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVLS529jc9Q

(Media keys around 3.30 mins..)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svn1ep11J4U

HDMI performance

(1080i)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3llYrUGCL-o

(720p)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01ESiv7HeVM

Thanks,

Last edited:
Hi,

As the laptop is being funded by the office so I get to choose the model they are willing to sanction somewhere around 50-60k. As I already have a HP laptop to work on office applications so I thought to turn this additional laptop to a music source. I have gone thru threads where people have built HTPC. Now I think that the laptop is sleeker, comes with a battery and screen and office requirements that this has to be a laptop.

I think using a good DAC (to be suggested by our experienced members) along with a laptop with the proper software can at least sound as good as a dedicated CDP in the range of 20K which would be sufficient to my needs.

Thanks for racking your brains again

hi dillihifi,

let me point you to a superb combination for your needs (and then some)

Macbook/Macbook pro + airport express + gamma 2 DAC.

as far as being a source is concerned the apple laptops have no competition .

as far as seamless integration is concerned (as Asit has pointed out) apple OS (Mac OS X) has no competition - you connect the broadband cable to the airport express and you are connected - you do not have to call the computer engineer to configure the linksys router (and he will sit for two hours with a cable between the laptop and the linksys restarting the computer 22 times before he is through). All additional hardware added is seamlessly and painlessly added.

and for video editing final cut is peerless.

regards

Hi dillihifi,

I use a Macbook pro 15" (Intel). I actually am now in a dilemma that if ever I have to buy a laptop other than a mac, what would I do. It's just marvelous. The system integration for all applications is unbelievable. Everything works seamlessly (much much better than Windows and Linux and I am one of the very early users of linux and have tried almost all distributions so far). Contrary to common belief, there actually exist a lot of freeware for mac, actually tons. On the other hand, if you want to do work on the unix shell, you can do that to. The macbook pro boots up in a few seconds. It shuts down also ina few seconds. There are no virus to worry about. The OS is rock-solid stable, almost never hangs. Its capability as a bit-perfect digital source has already been mentioned.

Regards.

If only I were not dealing with MS applications for a livelihood, this would be a slamdunk! <sigh>

I have many friends who use macbook pro for music production and love it at the same time my sister has a macbook that has been repaired thrice. I think if your a professional who uses the computer for djing, production or visual artist macbook pro is good.If your needs are just regular daily needs then windows is a better option for compatibility, better hardware since apple is overpriced.

if you can use any student ID(some one you know ) Macbook student plan is there .. will get it for less.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back