laptop spdif output connectivity.

sentinel

Hi,

I have a laptop DV2122TU laptop.(Windows XP Mediacenter edition).
The laptop has two headphone out. One of the 3.5 mm jack acts as a spdif out also.

This is what prduct manual states:
In addition to connecting headphones, the headphone jack is used to connect the audio input function
of an audio/video device such as a television or VCR. On select models, the computer can also transmit
S/PDIF digital audio signals through the audio-out jack on the right.

When connecting a device to the headphone jack, use only a 3.5-mm stereo plug.
NOTE When a device is connected to the headphone jack, the internal speakers are disabled.

Using S/PDIF digital audio (select models only)
S/PDIF (Sony/Phillips Digital Interface) or digital audio provides enhanced audio performance, including
surround sound and other high-end audio output.
For digital audio connections, connect the S/PDIF digital audio plug to the digital audio connector on
your audio/video equipment.
NOTE In order to use S/PDIF with the headphone jack, you will need an optional mini TOS link
cable and/or adapter.

Can i connect the laptop using SPDIF to the avr using miniTOS link.What is this miniTOS link. What product is available in market to connect this laptop to avr using SPDIF.

Since SPDIF is digital signal signal i am expecting to get a good quality sound using this connection. Is this a reasonable expectation ?

Some laptops from Apple, Acer, HP and others have a 3.5mm Jack that has two tasks. One; it works as a standard analogue connector used for headpones or any stereo device that can take the 3.5 mm connection. In addition, there is a small .5mm extension at the end of which is an LED that transmits optical multichannel data. The .5 mm extension is there so that an analogue plug does not touch the LED.

You need to get a MiniToslink (Mini-TOSLINK - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) plug, and a regular S/PDIF cable to connect the laptop to your AVR or amplifier. A MiniToslink is an adapter that has a 4.0 mm (3.5mm + .5 mm for reading the LED) plug with a optical reader on one side and a regular S/PDIF jack on the other side. With this connection you will get full multichannel audio. Be careful when using this connection. The plugs and jacks are very small, can bend easily and destroy the connectivity. Remove them positively after use.

Cheers

Last edited:
Hi
I have a acer travelmate. Not sure if it has spdif out. Volume control settings show spdif. It has only one 3.5mm out.How can i check if it has the spdif. Also, next to s-video, there appears to be what i think optical out also. Not sure about this too. How can i check if the laptop has digital out(coaxial as well optical). I have used neither of these.The coaxial out from the dvd player appears to be different. so pl guide me as i dont have the manual with me(not available online also).

Also, what cable can i use if it has digital out to connect to my DAC.In case i have digital out , do i need to get different cables for my laptop and dvd player? Appreciate any advice on this.

If enabled, your 3.5mm headphone out will double as SPDIF output. Sometimes you can see a red light from there when SPDIF is selected. You can use the above cable to connect your PC to a DAC's optical i/p

Thanks Unleash, downloaded the manual which doesn't say anything about spdif/optical, so guess it has no digital out. will have to look at other options.

Regards.

Hi Unleash, It is Travelmate 4052LCi.As an option, can i connect the laptop
to my xfi usb soundcard and take optical out from that to the optical in of the DAC, instead of looking for usb-spdif converter. What will be effect n SQ.
Regards

No problem. What is the model of your travelmate?

Last edited:
Hi Unleash, It is Travelmate 4052LCi.As an option, can i connect the laptop to my xfi usb soundcard and take optical out from that to the optical in of the DAC, instead of looking for usb-spdif converter. What will be effect n SQ.
Regards

You will be absolutely fine doing as stated above. The sound quality will not be affected since you are getting the signals processed in your standalone DAC externally. I used to do the same with a T60/XfiNotebook/TC7510/HD595 sometime back. Should work fine.

PS: Did quick check. It appears that your laptop might not be having spdif output.

Cheers.

You will be absolutely fine doing as stated above. The sound quality will not be affected since you are getting the signals processed in your standalone DAC externally. I used to do the same with a T60/XfiNotebook/TC7510/HD595 sometime back. Should work fine.

PS: Did quick check. It appears that your laptop might not be having spdif output.

Cheers.

I think there will be more jitter compared to a CDP when using spdif correct? And USB SQ will not compare to CDP either. Besides the PSU in laptops introduces more EMI than an audiophile PSU... maybe playing on battery power might show a noticeable difference?

Correct me if I am wrong.

Regards

There are always diff school of thoughts with conflicting (& often convincing) ideas of which one is better than the other. IME regardless of the medium used, a good dac should be able to do justice to the digital signal fed to it in real world. The above configuration used to work well for my needs. That being said, ymmv.

Hope this article will help you get a wider perspective on this subject.

Cheers.

Hi
I have a acer travelmate. Not sure if it has spdif out. Volume control settings show spdif. It has only one 3.5mm out.How can i check if it has the spdif. Also, next to s-video, there appears to be what i think optical out also. Not sure about this too. How can i check if the laptop has digital out(coaxial as well optical). I have used neither of these.The coaxial out from the dvd player appears to be different. so pl guide me as i dont have the manual with me(not available online also).

Also, what cable can i use if it has digital out to connect to my DAC.In case i have digital out , do i need to get different cables for my laptop and dvd player? Appreciate any advice on this.

my wife has an Acer laptop and it has a mini-toslink (optcal) spdif out. and yes it is in the 3.5mm jack itself. MX makes a mini-toslink to toslink optical cable; which I bought. You could try their website

MDR Electronics - MX Electronics - Home Theater Cables & Connectors - Computers & Laptop Accessories - Pro Audio / Studio Audio Cables & Connectors - Audio Video Components & Accessories - Fiber Optic Component & Accessories - Cable TV Component & Ac

the acer documentation is silent on this.. but if your windows has identified a digital optical out; chances are that you have one..

cheers

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back