laptop's display port facility

chirag007

Hi friends,
I have dell precision M4400 laptop having NVIDIA Quadro FX 770M8 Graphics with 512MB dedicated memory.

This laptop has "display port" too. Shall I run VLC media player and stream HD audio video on this port?
Idea is to connect "display port" to HDMI input ( through compatible cable) of AVR and let AVR to decode audio.

Is it possible?

Check HDMI ver,lower than 1.2 cant carry HD-aud.
If Laptop supports Aud/Vid via HDMI,try PowerDVD9 which has option to pass aud through HDMI.

unfortunetly, this laptop ( dell precision m4400) doesnt have HDMI.
DisplayPort and VGA are only option to pull out signals apart from audio jack which is nothing but for headphones.

Not even HDMI in present generation laptops will carry HD audio.

Sure?
I am not doubting but need a confirmed info
cause my idea was to use lap as full hd media player with HD audio output through HDMI
So it is not possible?
As many netbooks are coming with HDMI port

Sure?
cause my idea was to use lap as full hd media player with HD audio output through HDMI
So it is not possible?

Hi,

Unless your laptop does not support 1080p native resloution, you cannot get true 1080p O/P on your TV, cause when you connect a latop to the TV, the TV acts as a second Display device to your laptop.(i.e the resolution of the TV is dependant on that of the laptop). So if your laptop supports only 1024X940 or some similar resolution other than 1080p ........... you are not going to get full 1080 o/p on your TV. And for the price of a laptop with 1080p native resolution you can get 4-5 external media players. And it consumes more power than the external media players. (I also had the same thought a year back).

cheers

Hi,

Unless your laptop does not support 1080p native resloution, you cannot get true 1080p O/P on your TV, cause when you connect a latop to the TV, the TV acts as a second Display device to your laptop.(i.e the resolution of the TV is dependant on that of the laptop). So if your laptop supports only 1024X940 or some similar resolution other than 1080p ........... you are not going to get full 1080 o/p on your TV. And for the price of a laptop with 1080p native resolution you can get 4-5 external media players. And it consumes more power than the external media players. (I also had the same thought a year back).

cheers

That is false my native resolution on laptop screen is 1440 x 900 yet when i connect via hdmi i get to choose full 1920 x 1080 resolution for the secondary display.

Sure?
So it is not possible?

Im not sure if they can bitstream hd audio but they can pass it as lpcm i guess.

That is false my native resolution on laptop screen is 1440 x 900 yet when i connect via hdmi i get to choose full 1920 x 1080 resolution for the secondary display.

Hi,

If you hook your laptop to a monitor with a higher resolution limit, then your graphics card on the laptop should display up to either its own limit or the monitors limit. Your laptops monitor may not support 1080p res even if your graphic card can, that's why your TV is displaying at 1080p. So when you hook up your laptop to your big screen (assuming it is truly 1080p), first thing you should do is change your screen resolution to that. Else, it will either stretch the screen or give you a black border. I've heard in some/many cases the TV is converting your 1440 x 900 input from the laptop to 1920 x 1080 for display, which is not true 1080p. If you want true 1920 x 1080 video on the TV, then you need a laptop that can output that resolution(either through graphic card or natively).

cheers

Not only HDMI,but one need better processor to do so.
Some old laptop even cant play foobar.

Not only HDMI,but one need better processor to do so.
Some old laptop even cant play foobar.

Yup, you are right, good processor along with some good RAM(memory) which is definitely going to boost your performance and your MRP.

cheers

Hi,

If you hook your laptop to a monitor with a higher resolution limit, then your graphics card on the laptop should display up to either its own limit or the monitors limit. Your laptops monitor may not support 1080p res even if your graphic card can, that's why your TV is displaying at 1080p. So when you hook up your laptop to your big screen (assuming it is truly 1080p), first thing you should do is change your screen resolution to that. Else, it will either stretch the screen or give you a black border. I've heard in some/many cases the TV is converting your 1440 x 900 input from the laptop to 1920 x 1080 for display, which is not true 1080p. If you want true 1920 x 1080 video on the TV, then you need a laptop that can output that resolution(either through graphic card or natively).

cheers

No it is not upscaling i am sure the secondary screen is it is true 1080P. When i had bought my laptop i had an option to go for 1920 x 1080 screen but i opted for WLED screen and 1440 x 900 was the highest.I know its true 1080p since my graphics card is capable of full hd ati mobility radeon hd 3650.

Especially via hdmi on my panasonic projector i have played blu ray rips @ 1080p and the clarity is stunning.

my graphics card is capable of full hd ati mobility radeon hd 3650.

See, that is the reason you are able to O/P 1080p to your TV, and when you did not want your laptop monitor to display 1080p, why did you go for the laptop with the graphic card ............. if you had bought it without the graphic card it would have costed you less. And i'm sure these graphic cards are not going to help improve game performance to a great extent (if that is the case you included a graphic card to your laptop.)

cheers.

See, that is the reason you are able to O/P 1080p to your TV, and when you did not want your laptop monitor to display 1080p, why did you go for the laptop with the graphic card ............. if you had bought it without the graphic card it would have costed you less. And i'm sure these graphic cards are not going to help improve game performance to a great extent (if that is the case you included a graphic card to your laptop.)

cheers.

I went for a graphics card for gaming not very hardcore but the computer should be able to run battlefield and cod and to get better quality when output is via hdmi @1080p.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back