Large DIY cabinet design for full-range speakers

Thanks for info.i replaced my diy cabinet polyfill(initially filled with polyfill)with glasswool and the difference is remarkable..if u have time u can try.1lb for 1cu feet.

I am using glass wool panels in the drop ceiling for the past many years, but I could not findl loose glass wool for filling. Where did you buy it from?

The only problem with glass wool is that the hand itches the night after after handling it :)

Images in this thread have vanished, when they are all very much existing. Clicking on the image takes you to the right image. Looking for help from moderators/admin to at least allow me to edit the old posts and get them working elegantly again.

@smedhavi have you made the images private? because when i click, it says -it is a private page and i do not have access!

Flickr does allow posting direct links to private images, and I am sure these pictures were visible earlier in the forum. Now even I cannot see them in the thread.
Posting the same again may work:
27477954475_ab6ca8af77_c.jpg

27378793442_8e059ae717_c.jpg

27477887085_f0ecdcf24a_c.jpg

27477887565_2ec72b7b63_c.jpg

I wouldn't want the Flickr community to see these 'unprofessional' images on my Flickr Pro account :)

Last edited:
@smedhavi, when you post links to images posted on image hosting sites like flicker, imgur, imageshack etc, the images are sought from the original site and displayed on the thread. I've just checked and noted that the images posted on your post No. 15 are not available anymore. You may check with the admins of flicker.

Last edited:
@smedhavi, when you post links to images posted on image hosting sites like flicker, imgur, imageshack etc, the images are sought from the original site and displayed on the thread. I've just checked and noted that the images posted on your post No. 15 are not available anymore. You may check with the admins of flicker.

Thanks @captrajesh. I would do that, as the image links changed without any changes from my side.
What I was requesting from the moderators on this forum was to allow people to go back an fix the broken image links in old post. I encounter many posts on this forum with missing old images. At least I would want to fix my original posts.

Last edited by a moderator:
looking great, now how is the sound, why you done two combinations? is there any advantage?

I have been testing at each step, but they are not ready for the final sound or video yet. Will surely share the outcome.

Regarding the two different materials that I used for damping, it was more to allow me to work inside the box without worrying about rubbing my hands against the glass wool. Glass wool is better at damping & absorbing, but leads to a burning itching feeling on skin. So I used polly fiber for the top layer instead of another layer of glass wool, which may have been better. That is why I still have half of the glass wool left over. Mixing multiple materials may even out the absorbtion characteristics a bit, but honestly that was not the driving factor for me.

Here are the final products.
The smaller one using Audio Nirvana Classic 10" drivers double up as Home Theater center speaker. The bigger ones have Audio Nirvana 15" cast frame drivers.

The sound is very close to what I have been dreaming about since the past many decades. The human voices are very detailed and intimate. The plucked strings are realistic and grab your attention. You can identify each instrument and string distinctly. The bass is controlled, detailed, fast but subtle. There is enough of it to make the Cello resonate your sofa, and the drums to sound real. I loved the the sound signature of my Monitor Audio RS6/NAD. This set takes it further in the same direction. I would not want to boast too much here, but it works for me. I mostly listen to Vocal Jazz, Ghazals, Hindustani classical and vintage Hindi music.

One good thing for me is that the vintage gems, such as old recordings from Ustad Bade Ghulam Ali Khan and Ustad Faiyaz Khan, which were unlistenable because of the poor recording quality, are much more listenable on these speakers.

My latest creations! Single full-range driver based classic speakers by Sharad Medhavi, on Flickr

regards,

Brilliant build, Sharad. The classic 10s look superlative with their twin ported cabinets and match very well with the larger 15s. I love that the design language flows very well across the 10s and the 15s. I like the choice of veneer too.
Your description of the final sound is an inspiration to build my own full range cabinet. I had picked up a pair of the famous but humble philips 8" fullrange. I always have been wary of the time demands of such a project. Thank you!!

Added Eminence Alpha-15A to the main pair with active crossover and bi-amping. Left the back open. Enjoying the new low bass, without affecting rest of the sound. Playing with the sweeping crossover around 200Hz.

Regards,
Sharad Medhavi

The Alpha's are temporarily mounted on the same baffle from behind on the lower side. Before I finalize the design, I am wondering if upgrading from Alpha to PureAudioProject - OB-A15Neo - 15″ make a big enough difference. There is a big difference in their price :). I may need to mount the A15Neo from the front, or more accurately as they have double Linear Excursion (Xmax) compared to the Alpha.

Yes, @yogibear. This makes perfect sense. If I was doing this from scratch, I too would just crate a flat OB. As I am retro fitting the above project, it is more of a U chassis. The extra absorption on the sides seems to be helping in keeping the rear sound from the sensitive AudioNirvana driver in check. The rear wall in the room is also covered with multi-level of absorption. I am looking for an open relaxed sound, but not too much of a bi-pole effect. I have active bi-amping with gain control on the crossover, so one bass driver is enough. I need to decide whether my Alpha is good enough, or the Pureaudio driver at many times the price, really worth going for.

The open plan with these high Qts drivers is definitely making the listeners take notice :) The double bass, and guitar strings are mind blowing!

regards.
Sharad Medhavi

Here what I am playing as for now. Rear is open in mine for the bass driver. And imagine just one FRD at the top instead of those horns. No physical contact between FRD and the bass driver cabinet.

Looks great!

Is that an H structure housing the woofer? I see a bigger box in frot and a smaller one behind it.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back