Last of the GR Research builds - 5.1 kit

Yes, it's commonly accepted fact that CLD has advantages. How is that relevant to Good wood vs MDF? BTW that 2nd article was very interesting. The first one was too but I'd already read it before so did not find it so interesting this time around. :D

Hi,

I am unable to find any relevant info. in both the links provided.
The Audiophile article talks about damping plywood vs/ undamped plywood and using layer damping to damp a low acoustic impedance layer. While the white paper talks about advantages of their proprietary damping, there is no mention of the non-homogeneous materials to homogeneous ones.

Thx

Is it really cost effective as compared to MDF? In what way - material cost? I checked the website - would make an excellent alternative to MDF.

Hi sir,

I just contacted the distributor in Cochin and he said MDF is actually cheaper but Good Wood has a lot of advantages when it comes to workability and maintenance. I apologize for sharing a wrong assumption. He said 8mm thick, a sq.ft is INR 65.00/-

Thanks,
P.S> Last post on the subject...

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting build thread. Very well documented, Capt. I'm especially interested in how the sub will sound. We await the next set of pictures. What's your plan for the finishing? Veneering or painting?

@Rest: get back to your knitting;) and let's get back to the build, folks.....

Request to FMs: You may report OT posts by clicking on Report Post button /!\ than advising so in the thread itself please.

As I already mentioned in another thread of my build, I used strong wooden toothpicks. But not hammered them forcefully. Drilled hole with exact size of toothpick, around 2.5mm diameter and 2" length where plugging done. Then I filled this hole with fevicol and lightly hammered strong toothpicks in each hole at a time. I saw Carpenter working with wooden plugs to make join internally stronger. It was done at each 4" on edge. This way I ensured keeping iron nails away.
This actually is a very good idea. The Chinese made toothpicks available with street vendors are both strong and inexpensive.

As I already mentioned in another thread of my build, I used strong wooden toothpicks. But not hammered them forcefully. Drilled hole with exact size of toothpick, around 2.5mm diameter and 2" length where plugging done. Then I filled this hole with fevicol and lightly hammered strong toothpicks in each hole at a time. I saw Carpenter working with wooden plugs to make join internally stronger. It was done at each 4" on edge. This way I ensured keeping iron nails away.

Do you have any pics showing this, interested in seeing this.

Hmmmm I have already posted somewhere in this forum DIY section. I will look for it. And share.

I have seen in some Youtube videos that many guys now use something called as "Biscuit Discs" and they are I think in semi-circle in shape and supposed to be better than the thicker tooth picks that we are discussing. I think procuring them as well as making the exact holes on the panels would be a challenge for us in India with limited tools in DIY. Look at this site for more details.

I have seen in some Youtube videos that many guys now use something called as "Biscuit Discs" and they are I think in semi-circle in shape and supposed to be better than the thicker tooth picks that we are discussing. I think procuring them as well as making the exact holes on the panels would be a challenge for us in India with limited tools in DIY. Look at this site for more details.

There are router bits available here for biscuit joint and is quite easy.

Thanks for sharing the biscuit link. The cutting disc tool is provided to make things fit perfectly. DIY culture abroad is very mature unlike ours.

Thanks for sharing the biscuit link. The cutting disc tool is provided to make things fit perfectly. DIY culture abroad is very mature unlike ours.

Yes correct they use a special drill bit to make the required/exact fitting holes on the panels. I think making those holes with normal drill will be difficult and should take a longer time compared to the specific drill thats meant to do the job. As bibin mentioned I think those biscuits might be available easily in India.

What I have read so far is that Cabinet builders generally dont use Biscuit joins since the biscuits are shallow, dowel joins should be better. There are specific biscuit joiners power tool to make precise holes for the biscuits. Having said that most of the commercial car subwoofer box builders prefer screw or brad nails.

Very nice build captain. :thumbsup:

Friends,
Let this thread be Captain's build thread. Being a senior member he is, I am sure he won't mind little offtopic related discussion. Though most suggestion are very helpful; do not shall I say nit pick the build which is 'already done'. The nails can be gently tapped by a punch so they recess in the mdf slightly. I hope this will solve the problem. (But kindly confirm with carpenters). As I am not sure.
However having said please do carry on discussion and build design tips and tricks which would be helpful for the rest of the build.
Warm regards.

Sorry for the late reply guys and wow! Lot of action and looks like I missed it. I was busy last weekend and couldnt reply.

if you feel that this conversation is hijacking your thread please feel free to ask mods to move this to a separate thread.
My last post on this in this thread so as not to derail it.
Please take the discussion elsewhere guys and let us enjoy the pics.
Let this thread be Captain's build thread. Being a senior member he is, I am sure he won't mind little offtopic related discussion. Though most suggestion are very helpful; do not shall I say nit pick the build which is 'already done'.
Thank you for your concern folks. However, since the purpose of the thread is to add to the knowledge base of the forum and would be (hopefully) useful to members taking up build threads in future, any OT is welcome as long as the discussion remains constructive and civil.

Smooth does not equate to optimal adhesion. A little rough is better, IMO, as long as the surfaces align and they are adequately clamped after gluing up. And, with MDF [which I assume you're using] with what I've seen, cuts using a power saw are more than adequately smooth. I wish I had a picture to upload here to show how smooth but I didn't take any the last time during a build. As far as I know [with what was told to me by the guy who builds them for me] the sharpness of the saw is everything so if their cut surfaces are not smooth it's time for them to change the blade. Also, using a circular saw, the guy who builds them for me ALWAYS tells me that the size will be +- 2mm from what I've given.
Ill have to disagree with you on the point highlighted above. When I said smooth finish, I didnt mean mirror finish which can be achieved only by sanding and buffing. My post was based on what I saw. For all I know, since he is having a leverage of 1mm which he is shaving off, he may be skimping on the blade. BTW, yesterday while we were finishing I broached the subject with him.

Im quoting him here:
"Yes, jigsaw and circular saws can be used to cut exactly to the given dimensions but there are practical problems. Though theoretically MDF is a homogeneous material, in practice youll find that some portions have slightly more density. When the jigsaw transits from less dense to the denser portion or vice versa, the blade would quiver (minutely) while moving up and down which would result in minute waver in the cut which has to be invariably shaven plain. In case of circular saw, it is useful only for making big external cuts; it is not possible to cut minute internal cuts. Some expensive German machines are available where one need to just put in the dimensions and the machine would take care of the rest but they are very expensive. Just the blade costs Rs. 50000/- Even sharpening the blade for reuse costs Rs. 2000/- for which, it has to be sent to Bangalore and would take three to four days including transportation time. So it is more practical to sacrifice an mm of MDF. Incidentally, CNC would result in much more wastage of material as the bit used for cutting is thick.

You can remove the screws once the glue is dry.
I had discussed exactly the same much early during the build.

His reply was:
Though MDF is a much denser than wood, it doesn't have interlinking layers. If there are no screws and two panels are just glued on, if sufficient force is exerted, the panels get separated with the layer right adjacent to the glue layer giving away. Even liquid nails are no match to the good old self-tapping screws.

He had explained how someone brought him an imported JBL subwoofer whose liquid nails had gavin away and how he had to make a new box of the given specs to fix it.

Why would they pop out?
MDF basically splits or chips when you nail into it with no holding power as it has a layered internal structure.
The nails can be gently tapped by a punch so they recess in the mdf slightly. I hope this will solve the problem.
Yes, Ive seen the splitting of MDF due to driving of nails during the build when the baffles was temporarily fixed for routing the edges for levelling. However, I cant agree that it doesnt have any holding power; Id say it is because it has inadequate holding power.

According to Santhosh, the popping is not just because of the lesser holding power but because of constant flexing of the panels due to in and out movement of woofer cone. The resultant mechanical stress and strain is what results in the nails popping out. However, in the present case (of surround speakers), since the panel dimensions and speaker volume are quite small compared to the size of the woofer cone, the nail popping is a nonissue.

I've got furniture at home which is made of MDF using this method and it's been 5+ years now - not one bulge anywhere. For additional strength at the edges, the carpenter also drilled pilot/guide holes and at intervals inserted regular wood screws along the edges. The screw heads were counter sunk and a mixture of MDF sawdust and diluted Fevicol used to fill the holes.
Thats exactly how we are making my speakers.

Sire, can I make a suggestion, instead of these connectors, use Binding post that can be screwed through the box wall or a Speakon connector. These types of connectors (again binding post in a plastic base) might affect the sealed system.
Since these are going to be wall mounted and thus the space available at the rear would be limited, we reckoned that it would be best to use bare wire. Hence those cups supplied by Danny are used which have sealing gasket and hence there would be no air leaks. Im thinking of using the binding posts on the mains and the Centre but Santhosh has ruled out the usual Red/Black plastic lined ones as the flimsy few micron thick stoppers would give away after tightening/loosening a few times. Give me some time and Ill post the pics for understanding the issue better.

What's your plan for the finishing? Veneering or painting?
what are you planning for the finish?
Im vacillating between Veneer and some special paint. Im going to the factory sometime to check out the special paint in the evening and will update.

Last edited:
I visited the workshop of Santha Paints, a premier paint seller in Tiivandrum. The latest and older paint finish samples were shown and I took pics. The mobile camera has ditched me and was not focusing before clicking the frame. Glossy finish is adding to the misery. Nevertheless, it will give some idea on the finishes available.

New finishes which I didn't like
jKxFps2.jpg

bS1dw89.jpg

15D8SIC.jpg

Older finishes were better. The diagonally lower right portion is glossy while the left upper portion is matte.
tb5Q2r8.jpg

I found the Teak and Rosewood matte finishes very appealing but cost of Rs. 350/ sq.ft is a big damper.

Tomorrow, I'm exploring other alternatives.

Last edited:
@Sathiamoorthy, yes, you must start a thread.

Yes sir but this relocation is such a painful thing that I am not getting time.:sad:

Older finishes were better. The diagonally lower right portion is glossy while the left upper portion is matte.
tb5Q2r8.jpg

I found the Teak and Rosewood matte finishes very appealing but cost of Rs. 350/ sq.ft is a big damper.

Tomorrow, I'm exploring other alternatives.

Rosewood matte is very good. I will also go in for the same colour. Are you having any luck with other alternatives?

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you having any luck with other alternatives?

Not yet Sathiamoorthy. I have a more pressing problem.

For lining the box to minimise standing waves, I'm having three options.

Option 1: 25mm thick Glasswool having density of 16 KG/M3. MOQ is 258 sq.ft @ Rs. 1900/-

Option 2: 50mm Rockwool having density of 48 kg/M3. MOQ is 90.42 sq.ft @ Rs. 1858/-

Option 3: 3/4" Foam density figures unavailable. MOQ 3' x 6' @ Rs. 375/-

I'm wondering which of the above options is good. Opinions and pointers are welcome.

The rear surround speakers are sealed designs.
The sub is a sealed design.
It's only the towers that are ported.

Right?

1 more option for you - bubble wrap sheets. The ultra cheap variety which are extremely thin and whose bubbles that are not taut but are somewhat floppy to touch. I used rolls of these to partially stuff my el-cheapo mini component JVC speakers and it worked VERY well. Now, if it's measurement data that you are looking for to support my claim - don't have any. :D

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=79094.0
Damping/stuffing materials: Frequency dependant ? - diyAudio

I have on my laptop a pdf file of the implemented tests and/or description of someone who patented this. I'll see if I can find it.

Edit: Please ignore the bubble wrap stuff. For B.S. speakers it would be an option but it's too tedious to implement in a F.S.

Last edited:
A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back