Last of the GR Research builds - 5.1 kit

I'm travelling and since lot of typing was involved with multi quoting selective sentences of messages which is such a pain on Android phones, I was looking for a PC but not getting enough time for it. Decided to type the post without multi quoting.

An update: the frame thickness was reduced to 20 mm from 25mm. Santosh was reluctant to reduce them any further saying that it would certainly result in grill cloth fouling with woofer cone surround. The speakers came home, finally.

Thanks for your replies Fantastic, Keith & Jls001.

I totally concur with whatever is mentioned by Fantastic. However, Danny has a different take which he has mentioned on the other forum. He says that the frame rather than the grill cloth that would affect the sound. He advised me to round off the inner edges of the frames to minimise their effects; just as Keith suggested.

Let me see if & when I can do the experiments suggested by good folks here. I'm likely to be out of Trivandrum till 25th.

Last edited:
Yeah, but that's because he assumes the grille cloth will be acoustically transparent. Please make sure it is.

The xmax of the mid-woofer is 3.3 mm. You would have been OK with less than 20mm thick too.

Round the inner edges of the frame to the maximum extent possible. But if this is not possible at all, don't worry about it - we will be able to mitigate the adverse effect (if any!) later too. Maybe get it better than without a frame/grille. :D Will let you know how when the time comes.

Last edited:
This is an epic effort and epic thread. Lots of interesting things to read and learn here.
Keep it up folks for the sake of us noobs.

Cheers,
Raghu

@Raghupb I'm glad you find it useful.

@Keith, where did you get the X max figures of the woofer! What's the X max figure of the surround woofer? I'll do the experiments that you, Jls and Fantastic suggested before I attempt the round off thingy.

Capt, now that you're nudging the finish line, have you made up your mind about the finishing?

Capt, now that you're nudging the finish line, have you made up your mind about the finishing?
I was contemplating either real wood veneer and stained MDF with artificial grains topped up with PU coating. Now decided to go in for the latter.

^^
Go crazy and put quilted or waterfall bubinga veneer on them.
Googled to check them out. Nice patterns but wifey's aesthetic tastes are rather orthodox; so will stick to traditional Indian Rosewood albeit a trifle lighter.

Last edited:
Capt, what wood is used for grill frame? After so much effort on construction, you should consider wood veneer. These pups deserve a bit of flair. Indian mahogany is another gorgeous species. Maybe the missus and you should spend a couple of hours at a veneer outlet.

Edit:
Just to add. Century (natzura/senzura) and Yenepoya Group (Kenwood/Yenwood) has a wide selection of natural and re-constituted veneers.

Century Veneers - Categories

I have used products from both companies for home furniture elements and they are very good quality.

Cheers,
Raghu

Last edited by a moderator:
@Raghupb, thank you very much for the pointers. The grills are made of teakwood. Guess what, they are my cross. Since they are made to the exact specs of the speakers, I can't add any layers onto the speakers lest there would be mismatch between them and the grills.:sad:

Last edited:
Oh did not know about such details. There is so much to learn about this science.
You are right. Veneer sheets are about 1/8 inch thick.
Waiting to see the finished product.

Cheers,
Raghu

The grills are made of teakwood. Since they are made to the exact specs of the speakers, I can't add any layers onto the speakers lest there would be mismatch between them and the grills.:sad:

I don't think that's an issue... simply stick same thickness strips of veneer on the grille sides to make it even.

You would have been OK with less than 20mm thick too.
Forgot to update. Danny says that the grill depth of 20 mm is OK. He only asked me to round off the inner edges.

I don't think that's an issue... simply stick same thickness strips of veneer on the grille sides to make it even.
Yes that occurred to me too but by then, the edges of the grills were rounded off. Adding layers now is out of question. I cannot get the finish if I do.

Last edited:
Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back