Last of the GR Research builds - 5.1 kit

captrajesh

Staff member
Many of the senior folks would remember that a group of our forum members had got together and got loudspeaker kits imported from a US based kit supplying company GR Research. The entire saga of the import process was documented in this epic thread.

While participating members were free to choose any of the kits, a majority of us had chosen the X-Series kits, specifically the X-LS Classic / X-LS Encore kits, because of the stupendous VFM factor.

I went in for a 5.1 set up. So, in addition to the X-SLS Encore (Floor stander version using the X-LS kit) for the mains, I've gone in for X-CS Encore for the centre (not listed on the site), the A/V 1RS for the rear surrounds and the 12" Servo Controlled subwoofer driver to be driven by Rhythmik Direct Servo Sub woofer Amp A370PEQ in a sand filled sub woofer enclosure.

Several members have documented their builds, links to which could be assessed by clicking on my signature. I'm probably the last to take up the build because I was already having a good stereo rig and there was no place to keep the 5.1 setup in the smallish apartment that I was living then at Chennai.

When I got relocated to Trivandrum on transfer last year , I took a reasonably big house on purpose because I wanted to build the HT setup after all. I could locate a professional team of two brothers who make speaker boxes for theatres who also happened to be one of the interior work contractors of the organisation that I am working for.

We've started the work in all earnest sometime in January this year. However because of their professional commitments and my office hours, we could work only on one or two weekends every month.

I was clicking the pictures religiously during the build process but initial procrastination on my part and the tediousness of uploading the pictures later as the pictures got piled up have forced me to postpone documenting the build process as and when it happened.

Now that the build has come to close and I have a few queries to seek answers to, I've decided to start the thread and think of posting the pictures later, in due course.

To be continued...

Last edited:
The Band of Brothers in their old workshop where the build is progressing. They complement each other perfectly. The one on the left is the elder one Mr. Gopa Kumar who handles the logistics and administration and the one on right is Santhosh, who does the actual work.

To be continued...

Appearances can be deceptive. They make boxes for threatres throughout Kerala and Southern Tamil Nadu. In fact they have made speakers for theatres as far as Southern Andhra Pradesh. Santhosh has so much experience and knowledge that he can be an acoustic consultant. :)

The first cut:
IhSKhbj.jpg

Cutting in progress:
bLoPMhN.jpg

Making of Front Towers in progress:
N6rqZgA.jpg

7APK81H.jpg

6d8f8KW.jpg

To be continued...

Last edited:
Affixing the braces:
ilep2Vy.jpg

scnE45O.jpg

JJ6Y5dc.jpg

T1FLMcT.jpg

tFMxWSu.jpg

Cutting Driver holes (Tweeter)
BS6CHJx.jpg

7Yix1qR.jpg

Y2phpNy.jpg

Cutting Driver holes (Woofer)
PYC4QgJ.jpg

Baffle fixed
32rBlTB.jpg

Baffle upclose
y94qJa3.jpg

Chamfering of woofer hole
r6xyAVZ.jpg

Checking driver holes fit
Ugwr6cw.jpg

HMIYFan.jpg

Hole for sandfilling of bottom compartment
cmMT8Aq.jpg

Making the sandfilling hole
u2xnHQN.jpg

J4howhg.jpg

us0kK2b.jpg

Nylon plug fabricated for fixing on the sandfilling hole
RmHCAEA.jpg

cp6xj5N.jpg

eleGBQV.jpg

Affixing the bitumen sheet on the cabinet walls
mIx43I5.jpg

To be continued...

Last edited:
Very Well Built :clapping::thumbsup:... Please don't compromise during finishing stage... In the End it matters on looks too.... U going good so far... Carry on the good work :thumbsup:

Thank you Sadik.

The Centre Speaker X-CS Encore
UhBvXQx.jpg

lwEuuIj.jpg

The Surround Speaker A/V 1RS
Checking the angle
EBr10l3.jpg

Chiselling off the excess MDF.
This process is suitable for creating MDF panels with slight angles

xqYHn8f.jpg

Result of chiselling
HygtW0r.jpg

Planing to get the panel with correct angle.
OrBcUNq.jpg

Making the surround.
Ql89c0W.jpg

2psXga0.jpg

fiUeEfc.jpg

Result of deep angle cut
OiQiyd6.jpg

Last edited:
I am in the process of making a straight TL for my TV using some Peerless mid bass,now having seen the skills of these guys, I am having second thoughts on whether I should post the build thread :(. Rajesh sire, waiting for your message so that I can accompany you to watch rest of the build. For Beveling I am in the process of making a Jig based on router/planer machine. Will post details if I am successful :).

I notice that he did not use any guide to get the cut as per the marking done on the MDF - I think he cut it more than needed. How did he finally get the edges to align perfectly before gluing up?
Be it straight cuts with jig saw or the straight/ angular cuts with the circular saw, he cuts 1mm more than what is required so that excess material to the tune of 1 mm is available on the panel. Since these cuts are not perfectly straight, he uses planer to shave off the excess material.

having seen the skills of these guys, I am having second thoughts on whether I should post the build thread :(.

Of course you should post the build thread. Why not!

Rajesh sire, waiting for your message so that I can accompany you to watch rest of the build.

They wanted me to come to their new workshop to finish off the Frugel Horns of Satyamoorthy on Tuesday but I couldn't spare time. Will try and fix up in a day or two.

For Beveling I am in the process of making a Jig based on router/planer machine. Will post details if I am successful.

Are you beveling the edges of speaker panels? Won't that reduce the surface area available for the glue?

Last edited:
Since these cuts are not perfectly straight, he uses planer to shave off the excess material.
Sorry, forgot to mention. He predominantly uses the router for straight cuts. Planer is used for angled cuts.

@Sathiamoorthy, yes, you must start a thread.

Here are the balance pics of the surround build:

The Baffle (This would be facing the ceiling)
eDjGsQo.jpg

Checking the fit of drivers
YpF3O8E.jpg

The rear side (Note the slot on the top portion of the depression for wall mounting)
cR8mRLS.jpg

The side view
LKM0g87.jpg

The front view
XSueare.jpg

Are you beveling the edges of speaker panels? Won't that reduce the surface area available for the glue?

No sire I want to bevel edges for two reasons:

* For corner bracing I need a strip with 45 deg cut on both sides. I can do this in my Juggad table saw but getting exact measurements is a pain (I will try this route first).
* While building a tapered TL box in the past, I had struggled to connect a piece of wood to another at an angle. I have not used Planer in the past and not a skilled or trained carpenter to try that as well. Whatever I do is due to the skills of my power tool :eek:hyeah:

IMO best option for bevel cutting at any angle would be using tilt router :).

Be it straight cuts with jig saw or the straight/ angular cuts with the circular saw, he cuts 1mm more than what is required so that excess material to the tune of 1 mm is available on the panel. Since these cuts are not perfectly straight, he uses planer to shave off the excess material.
Wow! I wonder why they do it that way. If they use a guide I'm sure the cuts will all be perfect or near perfect with no need to manually shave off stuff.

Wow! I wonder why they do it that way. If they use a guide I'm sure the cuts will all be perfect or near perfect with no need to manually shave off stuff.

I expected this question but wanted to cross the bridge when it comes. :)

The surface after sawing can never be as smooth as the one that is planed or routed and hence not only the adhesion would be suboptimal but even the fit may not be airtight. The bigger the saw, the rougher would be the surface area resulting from the cut. By sacrificing 1mm they achieve far superior adhesion with the glue and ensure airtight fit.

Last edited:
The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back