LCD from USA - will it work with Tatasky, BigTV etc ?

kumareshwar

Hi,

Sorry if this is naive. I know that the Colour System we use India is PAL and that NTSC is used in the USA. I have a question. Will a TV imported from the USA with an NTSC Tuner work with Tatasky or Big TV in India?

I have Samsung LN 46A650 and Sony 46W400 under consideration. Both are USA models. Yes. I know they are sold in India too. But can I use them if I import from the USA?

Eswar.

There are PAL-NTSC convertors available in the market (and especially in the USA). That should be useful. There will be some Televisions available in the US that support both PAL and NTSC. If you can get hold of one of them, nothing like it.

Hi,

Sorry if this is naive. I know that the Colour System we use India is PAL and that NTSC is used in the USA. I have a question. Will a TV imported from the USA with an NTSC Tuner work with Tatasky or Big TV in India?

I have Samsung LN 46A650 and Sony 46W400 under consideration. Both are USA models. Yes. I know they are sold in India too. But can I use them if I import from the USA?

Eswar.

well why do u want to import from USA ,u can always buy it from the grey market or buy it from thailand one of the cheapest places in the world to buy lcds .for eg the sony KLV-40W400A which is priced little over 1lakh in india can be bought for around 58000 in thailand.

Hi all,

Thanks for the clarification and advice. Its only the price difference and lack of confidence in the grey market that makes me think of imprting from the US. Anyway, can soeone advise me on reliable grey market dealers at Hyderabad?

Thanks in advance.

Esar.

well why do u want to import from USA ,u can always buy it from the grey market or buy it from thailand one of the cheapest places in the world to buy lcds .for eg the sony KLV-40W400A which is priced little over 1lakh in india can be bought for around 58000 in thailand.

Do you know Grey market for LCD in Mumbai?

Grey Market in Bangalore is good only for China Mobiles and Mobile Pouches and memory cards etc. You do not find hi-fi stuff like LCD TV's etc. I have seen the Sony LCD TV in national market , but the price difference of only some 2k or so. So it is not worth the effort in getting it from grey market.

Grey Market in Bangalore is good only for China Mobiles and Mobile Pouches and memory cards etc. You do not find hi-fi stuff like LCD TV's etc. I have seen the Sony LCD TV in national market , but the price difference of only some 2k or so. So it is not worth the effort in getting it from grey market.

well it depends upon who u know in the grey market,and for small size lcds like 26inch and 32inch the price difference is small.but for 40inch lcd there a significant difference,when i had bought my 32inch lcd it was priced at 64990 in showroom where as i had bought it in the grey market for 46000.

Well I have to disagree with that , I saw Sony Bravia 46 inch lcds on sale for 46k at costco , USA . Boy was I itching to grab one ! But the Question is how the hell will u carry the huge thing from USA ??? :D

Well I have to disagree with that , I saw Sony Bravia 46 inch lcds on sale for 46k at costco , USA . Boy was I itching to grab one ! But the Question is how the hell will u carry the huge thing from USA ??? :D

well i have said thailand is ONE of the cheapest places in the world to buy a sony lcd i didnt say its the cheapest.

well i have said thailand is ONE of the cheapest places in the world to buy a sony lcd i didnt say its the cheapest.

Ok baba , did not notice the "one" there !! A thousand apologies sir ;) !

but the question still remains if i want to carry a 46 inch lcd from Thailand/USA, how do you do it ?? I mean I dont think you would be able to carry such a huge item in checked baggage or hand baggage !

Ok baba , did not notice the "one" there !! A thousand apologies sir ;) !

but the question still remains if i want to carry a 46 inch lcd from Thailand/USA, how do you do it ?? I mean I dont think you would be able to carry such a huge item in checked baggage or hand baggage !

well i have seen some of my friends who had bought a 32inch frim thailnad and another person in another forum who had bought a 46inch tv,some people where even lucky they didnt had to pay customs.the airlines might probably charge for the extra weight although not sure.but my lcd which i ordered from the grey market it was in my house within 24hrs from the time i placed the order from the stickers and tags in the box of the lcd it came from bangkok to chennai via flight and then via train from chennai to bangalore.

also my uncle had bought me a creative gigaworks from US and thats a even heavier box no customs.:D , well he did have a hard time carrying the box.so i guess u just check in.

well i have seen some of my friends who had bought a 32inch frim thailnad and another person in another forum who had bought a 46inch tv,some people where even lucky they didnt had to pay customs.the airlines might probably charge for the extra weight although not sure.but my lcd which i ordered from the grey market it was in my house within 24hrs from the time i placed the order from the stickers and tags in the box of the lcd it came from bangkok to chennai via flight and then via train from chennai to bangalore.

also my uncle had bought me a creative gigaworks from US and thats a even heavier box no customs.:D , well he did have a hard time carrying the box.so i guess u just check in.

ok but the charge for extra weight is humongous . How much did your 46 inch lcd weigh ?

the 46inch lcd weighs 29kg with the BOX and remote it should he heavier by another 3 to 4 kg.

ok so i guess you have to pay for 6kg extra !! But the way they handled checked in baggage what is the guarantee that the lcd will not be in 2 pieces by the time I reach india. I plan to get a lcd myself on my next trip if possible !

ok so i guess you have to pay for 6kg extra !! But the way they handled checked in baggage what is the guarantee that the lcd will not be in 2 pieces by the time I reach india. I plan to get a lcd myself on my next trip if possible !

well people from grey market always get them via flight,but i think they will handle it carefully ,put the fragile sticker,although u can rule out the possibilty of damage that is why its better to buy it in countries like thailand or malaysia etc which are close since when u buy it from usa not only will not work in indian PAL standards also u will either need to stop once somewhere in europe or maybe singapore or other country so more possibilty of damage.

Hi,

I have decided to buy it in India. I shall have peace of mind with the warranty. I have offers ranging from 1.3 to 1.35 lacs list price being Rs.1.69 lacs. I donno any reliable grey market dealers in Hyderabad.

I thank everyone for the assistance. However, I have a doubts regarding the Samsung models which I have aired on a seperate thread. Any help will be highly appreciated.

Eswar.

I dont think the question was really answered. Can the new LCDs bought in US work in India on DTH, I see ppl importing and selling TV's on hifivision but no conclusive answer. Can anyone name LG/Samsumg/Sony 40 incher that works on 120-220volts and will work in India PAL/NTSC be damned to support DTH just like the projectors. I mean why dont hte projectors have issues and LCDs do when both use the same source i.e. DTH

I dont think the question was really answered. Can the new LCDs bought in US work in India on DTH, I see ppl importing and selling TV's on hifivision but no conclusive answer. Can anyone name LG/Samsumg/Sony 40 incher that works on 120-220volts and will work in India PAL/NTSC be damned to support DTH just like the projectors. I mean why dont hte projectors have issues and LCDs do when both use the same source i.e. DTH

The short answer is that they do not work. I brought a 42 inch Plama TV back from US, when I moved back to India. It came with my furniture and household stuff via sea. Did not have to pay any customs duty, as I was returning after more than 2 years.

Voltage was not an issue - it worked on both 110v and 240v.

I was pretty sure that I would be able to find some some sort of PAL to NTSC converter here. No such luck. I tried everywhere.
Also tried various sources and connectors - TS DTH, Composite, component.... nothing worked.

Finally I bought a PAL to NTSC converter in US from amazon. It worked. Sort of. Gave a washed out fuzzy image. Search for Altona on amazon and you can find it.

The furstrating thing is knowing that the TS box is capable of generating a NTSC signal natively, but the Tata Sky GUI/firmware hides that option.

Finally, I just gave up and bought a new Plasma here.

So not worth the trouble. If you do want to get a TV back from US, buy a multi-system TV. There are very few places that sell these. And they are expensive.

One of the reliable places is B&H Photo Video Digital Cameras, Photography, Camcorders
For example :
Samsung PS-50C430 50" 720p Plasma HDTV PS50C430 B&H Photo

If you convert this price, its not very different from prices in India.

So as I said, buy locally. It just does not make sense to import a TV from the US.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back