LD (Laser Disc)

Still have a couple of laserdisc players (including a Pioneer Elite CLD-99) and 30+ laserdiscs. Looked much better than any other video delivery format (VHS, VCD, broadcast) at the time. But laserdisc isn't anywhere as good as standard def DVD, looking noticeably softer by comparison.

I have seen only one movie on an LD and it was Terminator. When in school, I went to a friend's house. He had aroung 7-8 JBL speakers, FS having dual 12" woofers. 8-9 decks of yamaha amp, cassette deck, eq and what not.

LD player was Sony I guess and a Sony 32" TV. I liked the sound at that time (VHS was still the norm). It was like hearing movie sounds on an audio disc with huge soundstage like in a theatre.

Had a Pioneer player, don't remember the exact model. With a JBL HTiB and a "big screen" LG Goldeneye 29", those days it was movie heaven.

Anybody have an experience with Laser Disc? Do any own one?

I had one , watched plenty of movies on it, used to get it on hire.
Still have the player with me, Its Pioneer, probably packed and stored somewhere in my loft.

Had the player and a few movies too... Basic Instinct was one of them I remember. The PQ was good but DVDs in 16:9 had better PQ.

I even have quite a few movies on VHS still with me as well as a couple of Michael Jackson World Tours and Japan Tours that I and my friends watched 56-60 times or more (those were the days). The Panasonic VCR though died a few years back and I believe its still stored in its original packing in the attic.

I used to love the cover art on the LDs (Maybe the similarity to LPs caused this).
DVD and BluRay covers don't hold my interest for long.

I used to love the cover art on the LDs

+1 to that.
I gave away my player and the few discs I had, as also my NV 370VHS and over 100 tapes. I remember that old Heera Panna market, Mumbai, was the place to find LDs......

+1 to that.
I gave away my player and the few discs I had, as also my NV 370VHS and over 100 tapes. I remember that old Heera Panna market, Mumbai, was the place to find LDs......

Now that's a coincidence... I had the NV 380... it was called National Panasonic back then... before Panny dropped the National from their brand name.

LD was supposed to be the next big video revolution in the days of VHS. I first saw the LD in 1985. I used to see it occassionaly when I used to go abroad. The video industry was too slow to change in those days. LD was abandoned in favour of DVD in 1997 or so. DVD was same size as CD, light and compact. The LD was too large.

I still use this LD player, it's in immaculate condition :) i play cd's. I bought it from onkyo showroom in 1998, made in Japan.

Ld.jpg

SignatureforHFVsmallestFINAL.jpg

Laser discs sold very well in Japan. Haven't been there for some time but have seen them selling in street markets maybe 5-6 years back.

I use Pioneer DVL9 as a cd player. Sound quality is fantastic. I have been enjoying cd music now. Earlier had to stick to vinyl only. The DVL9 was TOTL during it's day. Also have a DVL909 as backup.

Regards,

There is a guy in Hyderabad who had some LD disks. But I remember they
were quite scratched - this guy is like a scrap dealer. If anyone is really
interested, FM nraghunath may have his contact info.
Looks like some folks are using LDs as TT platter mats!

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back