LD (Laser Disc)

I still love to watch movies in LD esp for the sound effects. Sometime I feel it is better than DVD.
I have a PIONEER CLD S 370 which plays CDs, CD-Vs and LDs
0jw7.jpg

I have only one hindi movie LD- "Dil Hai Ki Mantha Nahi " and one hindi songs collection....and a few English Classics like
Akira Kurosawa's Rashmon.
Gone With the Wind box set
Dr. Zhivago Anniversary edition
Enter the dragon
Jurassic Park 1 and 2
Terminator 1 and 2
Bandit Queen
Babe
Independence day
somersby
Godfather 1 2 3
Brave Heart
etc....
=-------------------=--------------------------------=
Musical LDs of following Artists (have around 20-25 of them)
Ready Steady Go! Special Edition: The Beatles Live (8", 1986)
Michael Jackson, Lionel Ritche, Kenny , Madonna, Elton John Michel Bolton etc

Last edited:
Beatles Laser Disc , The - Ready Steady Go! Special Edition/The Beatles Live
Label: Pioneer Artists ? PA-87-M053
Format: Laserdisc, 8", Single Sided, NTSC, CLV
Released: 1987
947v.jpg

LDs I got recently

1. Benhur
2. Karoke Sing along Hindi songs from sadak, ashiqui, beta, dil,disco dancer, Aaj ka gunda raj, dil hai ke mantha nagi etc
3. Eric clapton 24 nights
4. Beatles-A hard days night
5, Mariah carey
6. The complete beatles
7. 12 monkeys
8. Abba Gold
9. Whitney Houston -live in concert
10. Bruce Spingsteen - MTV unplugged
11. The Guns of Navarone
12. Elvis on Tour
13. Madonna - Like a Virgin Tour Live
14. Neil Diamond - Love at the Greek
15. Michel Jackson Greatest Hits
16. Michel Jackson Dangerous

Last edited:
LDs I got recently

1. Benhur
2. Karoke Sing along Hindi songs from sadak, ashiqui, beta, dil,disco dancer, Aaj ka gunda raj, dil hai ke mantha nagi etc
3. Eric clapton 24 nights
4. Beatles-A hard days night
5, Mariah carey
6. The complete beatles
7. 12 monkeys
8. Abba Gold
9. Whitney Houston -live in concert
10. Bruce Spingsteen - MTV unplugged
11. The Guns of Navarone
12. Elvis on Tour
13. Madonna - Like a Virgin Tour Live
14. Neil Diamond - Love at the Greek
15. Michel Jackson Greatest Hits
16. Michel Jackson Dangerous

Sweet!:clapping:

I had purchased Sony MDP V1 LD player for 49K in Grey market and G99AV Dolby Prologic combo for 49.5K. My god the SQ was awesome and my 21" TV has become too small in front of the sonund envelope so I upgraded to a bigggggg TV Grinding 28" CRT.

I used to get disks on hire for 100K strictly for 24 hrs. The speciality of MDP V1 was it was the first player to have both the side reading capabilities with out a need to turn the disk physically.

It used to be a pride to be a member in LD lending library that too where cine celebrities used to visit. I had my friend working in a 5 star hotel as manager. With his contact I used to get latest English movies brought from abroad by his staying guests. Take the pride of telling people at the library that I got the disk and be in top of the world. Any how those were the days to be remembered cause doing all this with out any internet, ISD calls costing a bomb etc.,

NB: Sorry for the OT, In same 1996 I could have bought 2 acres of fully grown farm land for the same amount of LD+Prologic+TV in OMR (old mahabalipuram road which I used travel 3 times in a week visiting industries) present IT highway. Todays value conservatively 2.5 cores. I think today the proportion of real estate and Electronics no way close by and in fact which is right, but nothing could have achieved that pride, joy, satisfaction, enjoyment, etc. etc., that too doing at the age of 27 with self earned money.

Thanks,

R. Balagopalan.

NB: Sorry for the OT, In same 1996 I could have bought 2 acres of fully grown farm land for the same amount of LD+Prologic+TV in OMR (old mahabalipuram road which I used travel 3 times in a week visiting industries) present IT highway. Todays value conservatively 2.5 cores. I think today the proportion of real estate and Electronics no way close by and in fact which is right, but nothing could have achieved that pride, joy, satisfaction, enjoyment, etc. etc., that too doing at the age of 27 with self earned money.

This is the best part, Sir. :clapping::yahoo:

I have a list

1.Apollo 13
2.Armageddon
3.Dracula
4.Basic Instinct
5.Frankinstein
6.Airport
7.Cliffhanger
8.Jingle All The Way
9.Brave Heart
10.The Blair Witch Project
11.Last Action Hero
12.Batman
13.Batman And Robin
14.Batman Forever
15.The Guns Of Navarone
16.Robinhood : Prince Of Thieves
17.The Shawashnk Redemption
18.Schindlers List
19.Elizabeth
20.Star Trek : Generations
21.Star Trek : The Motion Picture
22.Star Trek : First Contact
23.Star Trek : The Search For Spock
24.Star Trek : The Voyage Home
25.Star Trek : The Final Frontier
26.Star Trek : The Undiscovered Country
27.The Gods Must Be Crazy - 2
28.Scar Face
29.Six Days, Seven Nights
30.The Remains Of The Day
31.Rumble In The Bronx
32.The Rookie
33.Ghost
34.Super Man
35.Super Man : 2
36.Super Man : 3
37.Super Man : 4
38.Predator : 2
39.Die Hard :2
40.Life is Beautiful
41.The Freshman
42.Broken Arrow
43.Death Becomes Her
44.Shadowlands
45.The Magnificent Seven / Return Of The Seven
46.Looking For Richard
47.Kindergarten Cop
48.Sleeping With The Enemy
49.Aliens
50.Blade Runner
51.The Road To Wellville
52.Surviving Picaso
53.Men In Block
54.Water World
55.Super Cop
56.Les Miserables
57.The Phantom
58.The Russia House
59.Patriot Games
60.Instinct
61.Rocky
62.Rocky - 3
63.Rambo - first blood part-2

I have a list

1.Apollo 13
2.Armageddon
3.Dracula
4.Basic Instinct
5.Frankinstein
6.Airport
7.Cliffhanger
8.Jingle All The Way
9.Brave Heart
10.The Blair Witch Project
11.Last Action Hero
12.Batman
13.Batman And Robin
14.Batman Forever
15.The Guns Of Navarone
16.Robinhood : Prince Of Thieves
17.The Shawashnk Redemption
18.Schindlers List
19.Elizabeth
20.Star Trek : Generations
21.Star Trek : The Motion Picture
22.Star Trek : First Contact
23.Star Trek : The Search For Spock
24.Star Trek : The Voyage Home
25.Star Trek : The Final Frontier
26.Star Trek : The Undiscovered Country
27.The Gods Must Be Crazy - 2
28.Scar Face
29.Six Days, Seven Nights
30.The Remains Of The Day
31.Rumble In The Bronx
32.The Rookie
33.Ghost
34.Super Man
35.Super Man : 2
36.Super Man : 3
37.Super Man : 4
38.Predator : 2
39.Die Hard :2
40.Life is Beautiful
41.The Freshman
42.Broken Arrow
43.Death Becomes Her
44.Shadowlands
45.The Magnificent Seven / Return Of The Seven
46.Looking For Richard
47.Kindergarten Cop
48.Sleeping With The Enemy
49.Aliens
50.Blade Runner
51.The Road To Wellville
52.Surviving Picaso
53.Men In Block
54.Water World
55.Super Cop
56.Les Miserables
57.The Phantom
58.The Russia House
59.Patriot Games
60.Instinct
61.Rocky
62.Rocky - 3
63.Rambo - first blood part-2

That's a good collection.

It used to be a pride to be a member in LD lending library that too where cine celebrities used to visit.

Yes.
I used to get LDs on hire from TIC-TAC R.A.Puram and another shop near Loyola College (forgot the name)

NB: Sorry for the OT, In same 1996 I could have bought 2 acres of fully grown farm land for the same amount of LD+Prologic+TV in OMR (old mahabalipuram road

Very true.

Beatles Laser Disc , The - Ready Steady Go! Special Edition/The Beatles Live
Label: Pioneer Artists ? PA-87-M053
Format: Laserdisc, 8", Single Sided, NTSC, CLV
Released: 1987
947v.jpg

Dear Anil, I in the small collection of LDs I have (mostly movies & cartoons), the most interesting ones are Pink Floyd-Pulse, Madonna & Foot Loose.

Sadly, for quite long years Im searching for a LD player, but couldnt acquire yet a working one..

Where to get? How expensive these would be.. If you come across one, pls hint me.

Dear Anil, I in the small collection of LDs I have (mostly movies & cartoons), the most interesting ones are Pink Floyd-Pulse, Madonna & Foot Loose.

Sadly, for quite long years Im searching for a LD player, but couldnt acquire yet a working one..

Where to get? How expensive these would be.. If you come across one, pls hint me.

u r in bangalore na? in muslim colony there is a dealer of used second hand items, contact him if u want I can give u his mobile no. but carefull check the player before purchase

Simon,
I will certainly PM you once I see a player in good condition.
As the lens of my Samsung player I got around 10 years back had dead, I have purchased a Pioneer LD player two years back for INR 8000 in chennai.

Regards,
Anil

I have around 10 numbers of lds and interested to collect more.my player is sony MDP V 10. I have around 20 titles of CED(capacitance electronic disc system) any one heard this ?any one have a player for CED?

Looks like this LD thread has been dormant for awhile but I still have most of the LDs from the 1980s-90s that I've purchased and collected. Some have been replaced by DVDs and more recently, Blu-rays. Last night I watched several Star Trek (thinking of the late Leonard Nimoy) movies that I owned on LD and a couple had the Dolby Digital soundtracks included. I also recently added a RF-demodulator/DD processor from Yamaha that I hooked into my Denon AV surround receiver. DD on LDs may be a highly data compressed audio format but it sounded MUCH more like a theater should sound, mixed for high quality surround sound playback and NOT dynamically compressed and rolled off in the bass like way too many more recent soundtracks on both DVD & Blu-ray! My guess is they were targeted and mixed for home theater enthusiasts and not for playback through those teeny-tiny, screechy sounding TV speakers that the majority of people listen to while playing the movies! Any bass or loud volume swings at all would make those crappy TV speakers POP! I am so glad I've saved and kept so many of my movies on LD and half of them have the Dolby Digital soundtracks, too. :eek:hyeah:

Attachments

• SAM_0785.jpg
    SAM_0785.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 79
  • SAM_0786.jpg
    SAM_0786.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 79
Hi Friends,

Sorry to post an off topic post..

I am looking for a Laser disk, for the purpose of setting the taking force on my Turntable, just wanted to check if anyone have a spare disk for me ?

I am based in bangalore

Regards

Tanoj

Back