Le Classe A - DIY Jean Hiraga Super 30W Class A Amplifier

aha! exactly was my question in the original post - so will look out for these upgrades, thanks! where did you source the tube from?

I think I haven't made myself clear. My apologies.

I did not have any issues with the stock chinese tubes or the wall wart PSU. I'm guessing the issue lies with your preamp itself. I may be wrong.

I've bought those GE tubes from eBay USA. My brother hand carried them during last December. Those tubes were available in Amazon India as well.

BTW....I'm using this tube pre (with Bluetooth DAC) -

I think I haven't made myself clear. My apologies.

I did not have any issues with the stock chinese tubes or the wall wart PSU. I'm guessing the issue lies with your preamp itself. I may be wrong.

I've bought those GE tubes from eBay USA. My brother hand carried them during last December. Those tubes were available in Amazon India as well.

BTW....I'm using this tube pre (with Bluetooth DAC) -

NP Saikat and thanks for the details :)
for now, I've got my passive pre-amp working - just a powered ALPS pot with source selection board. will see what I can do with this tube pre little later.

It's been quite some time i updated this thread. blame it on the whatsapp group .. kidding.
In the past few months, I've built an Aikido 12Vac tube pre and added a 3KVA Servo Stabilizer for power supply.

Hiraga + Alpair 10.3 M playing:

Servo Stabilizer innards:

Aikido build is still kinda WIP - I hear a lot of hissing noise and need to get a nice chassis too.

Aikido board:
IMG_20191111_014504.jpg

Board dropped in Pre chassis:
IMG_20191201_120516.jpg
Tube Glow:

IMG_20191202_013509_2.jpg
Stabilizer:

IMG_20191105_214042.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks @sadik bro :) .. yep it never seizes to amaze me .
but one thing I've noticed is, if the source music quality is iffy, it gargles and spits it out like chewed paan :D

For Akido build you can easily ,make it dead silent by using star topology ground.If that wont work after trying the last option is rod Eliot ground loop breaker.But a proper star ground will solve this issue All ground should be in star you can select appropriate position in your cabinet.

o/p of aikido is fed to k buffer or reverse?
Hi Jayakrishnan, K buffer is not part of the chain anymore. It's DAC to Aikido to amps. And right now I've bypassed even the Aikido as i didn't have patience to troubleshoot the noise issue. Probably will pick it back up as part of lockdown updates.

Cross-posting from a different thread:
Volumio player has temporarily replaced my laptop as source. Managed to add volume control and track next/prev rotary encoders. But still some issues need to be sorted:
https://www.hifivision.com/threads/picoreplayer-jivelite-with-rpi-7inch-touchscreen.80644/page-2

img_20200830_235103-jpg.49132

The forum which had all my build log pics is down!
I added everything in a youtube video just to keep the information together. It is difficult to add every information available on this thread though!

I will also be upgrading my Jean Hiraga soon. I have got new PCBs from Jims Audio with the Kubota regulator. A beer can size caps from Sharda ( 8 Nos) the one like you have used, a massive heat sinks weighting about 10 KG each, an R-Core transformer 18-0-18 / 22 Amp weighting about 10.2 Kg
I have assembled the PS and it also weight about 12 Kgs. This one is going to be the Monster. A small teaser.
IMG_20200930_231923.jpg

Thats 1 Ltr Bottle in below photo to get an idea about its size. The R Core will be fitted below the Capacitor Bank.
IMG_20200930_232454.jpg
IMG_20200930_232722.jpg
Check the Size thats tata sky remote for comparison.

Wow!! Perfect!
Go Big or Go Home!! That thing is gonna be a Huge Monster!

Though I don't have any complaints with my build as of now but given a chance, will add extra large radiators/ R Core Transformers and Kubota Regulator based board -albeit will continue with Mono block configuration.

I will also be upgrading my Jean Hiraga soon. I have got new PCBs from Jims Audio with the Kubota regulator. A beer can size caps from Sharda ( 8 Nos) the one like you have used, a massive heat sinks weighting about 10 KG each, an R-Core transformer 18-0-18 / 22 Amp weighting about 10.2 Kg
I have assembled the PS and it also weight about 12 Kgs. This one is going to be the Monster. A small teaser.
View attachment 50284

Thats 1 Ltr Bottle in below photo to get an idea about its size. The R Core will be fitted below the Capacitor Bank.
View attachment 50285
View attachment 50286
HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGEEEEEEEEEE

View attachment 50284

View attachment 50285
View attachment 50286
Bhai what are you up too?

Except for the DAC in my chain, rest everything is DIY/Assembled by me. Probably will try Soekris sometime in the future. But for now here is a short video of my media player build log:

Rotary encoders make it so much handy to operate this set-up. Volume control and Media control are simple to operate by anybody at home. But I couldn't get the 'push' functionality to mute/pause to work on these. But still happy with what it is doing for now :)

WhatsApp Image 2020-10-23 at 3.10.18 AM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-10-22 at 10.19.01 PM.jpeg

Last edited:
For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back