led tv + 5.1 speakers

kunalpai87

Hello friends ..im new to this forum ...i have a sony 42 kdl-w670 A led tv and want to buy a 5.1 speaker system w/o the dvd player . My tv has headphone out and optical outputs . i have 3 questions

1) can i use tata sky set up box as a A/V receiver so that i will be able to generate sound from all 5 speakers ?

2) if yes , how do i go about the connection ?

3)could you pls suggest a 5.1 system in the range of 12k

First congrats! on your sony TV!
To answer your queries.
1. No. You need to buy a AVR. Setup box is totally different.
2. -NA-
3. With KDL-W670 42" TV, this 12k for 5.1 will be an insult. First there is no good/near audiophile 5.1 in that range.

If you are tight on budget, you would need to try the low-end speakers like F&D, Kilpsch promedia 2.1 etc.
You need AVR + 5.1 speakers. A decent AVR would cost around 22-30k. Similar price for 5.1. If you have less budget, buy AVR + 2.0 speakers now and then later add rest of your speakers.

Lighly used second hand AVR and speakers would be good.

Did you look at sound bars.
They come with subwoofer and offer decent performance with low budget and small form factor.

If your TV can play mp3 and movies from usb.

JUST BUY this from Ebay.

Edifier C6XD 5.1 80 Watt Speaker with FM USB & SD card input
Only Rs. 14,480.00
It has optical input.

BUT there is a new format called Dolby Tru HD and DTS Master Audio which gives recording studio quality sound.

Optical inputs support upto DD pro logic II and DTS Surround but not the above mentioned studio quality formats.

Since TRU HD is not widely used at a normal life you can buy C6XD for upcoming 3 - 5 years.

You can buy an AV Receiver later on and yes with the AV Receiver you will not need new speakers as you will be able to use this C6XD with the AV Receiver but at that time change the connection to analog input from the AV Receiver and use HDMI for TV to AV Receiver.

Hope this helps and I am extending your budget only by Rs. 2000 so I feel this is the best setup for you at this moment. No other cheap 5.1 supports optical inputs so don't bother trying to find as I have already done that.

If your TV can play mp3 and movies from usb.

JUST BUY this from Ebay.

Edifier C6XD 5.1 80 Watt Speaker with FM USB & SD card input
Only Rs. 14,480.00
It has optical input.

BUT there is a new format called Dolby Tru HD and DTS Master Audio which gives recording studio quality sound.

Optical inputs support upto DD pro logic II and DTS Surround but not the above mentioned studio quality formats.

Since TRU HD is not widely used at a normal life you can buy C6XD for upcoming 3 - 5 years.

You can buy an AV Receiver later on and yes with the AV Receiver you will not need new speakers as you will be able to use this C6XD with the AV Receiver but at that time change the connection to analog input from the AV Receiver and use HDMI for TV to AV Receiver.

Hope this helps and I am extending your budget only by Rs. 2000 so I feel this is the best setup for you at this moment. No other cheap 5.1 supports optical inputs so don't bother trying to find as I have already done that.

Good suggestion, but make sure the tv streams out 5.1. My LG LED, streams out in Dolby 2.0 through its optical, playing 5.1 files out of its USB. My AVR never detected 5.1 so far. Check for the TV Specs before setting out. Or u may need a media player like WD tv live or asus I play.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back