LG C9 User Thread (No Price Talk)

Ok today did some more tests with my 4K content which is stored in my NAS storage. The issue is not with the TV but my Synology DS214se NAS which has Plex (by the way as per many reviews this is the best app for all sharing the files over the network) unable to transcode the files. If I playback the same file using attached HDD on the TV directly then the TV plays it in a jiff without even pausing. So now looking at other alternatives and looks like maybe I need to build a HTPC which can do this or maybe the Nvidia Shield TV 4k.

Ok today did some more tests with my 4K content which is stored in my NAS storage. The issue is not with the TV but my Synology DS214se NAS which has Plex (by the way as per many reviews this is the best app for all sharing the files over the network) unable to transcode the files. If I playback the same file using attached HDD on the TV directly then the TV plays it in a jiff without even pausing. So now looking at other alternatives and looks like maybe I need to build a HTPC which can do this or maybe the Nvidia Shield TV 4k.

Why not use the internal apps only? What additional feature would the Shield TV add? I'm quite new to smart TVs and these devices.

Why not use the internal apps only? What additional feature would the Shield TV add? I'm quite new to smart TVs and these devices.
The reason being that all my content including music, 1080p and 4K movies are stored in the Synology NAS and all are hard wired via a Gigabit ethernet switch and the broadband is through the Google mesh router. So I see that directly playing this content on the C9 can be done only either via the external HDD having all this content and connect via USB to the TV directly (by the way all these content is more than 10TB :) ) or I need to playback the content via the local network. So the only way C9 can recognise the files over my local network is when some file sharing protocols are enabled like UPNP/DLNA etc and the best app among to handle this is Plex which is what I am already running in my NAS and this is discoverable on C9 when you go to the main dashboard. But the 4k media stutters as the Plex does the transcoding of the 4k content before it passes it to the TV. C9 internal apps for streaming like Netflix, Amazon etc are pretty good.

The reason being that all my content including music, 1080p and 4K movies are stored in the Synology NAS and all are hard wired via a Gigabit ethernet switch and the broadband is through the Google mesh router. So I see that directly playing this content on the C9 can be done only either via the external HDD having all this content and connect via USB to the TV directly (by the way all these content is more than 10TB :) ) or I need to playback the content via the local network. So the only way C9 can recognise the files over my local network is when some file sharing protocols are enabled like UPNP/DLNA etc and the best app among to handle this is Plex which is what I am already running in my NAS and this is discoverable on C9 when you go to the main dashboard. But the 4k media stutters as the Plex does the transcoding of the 4k content before it passes it to the TV. C9 internal apps for streaming like Netflix, Amazon etc are pretty good.

Oh damn! That's quite a lot. I get it now. Can't spend time transferring to HDD and then connecting based on what movie you wanna watch. I hope you get it working soon!

I am wondering why you need PLEX here.
I Have all my content on a 2 TB harddisk which is connected to my router. This allows me to access content wirelessly over wifi.
In addition I have a LAN routed from my router to TV. Once You setup DLNA server, you can access the content seemlessly on any app.
Currently i am able to use Mx player, Vlc player etc to play my content and its fast. No buffering as I am using LAN instead of Wifi.
Try once.

I am wondering why you need PLEX here.
I Have all my content on a 2 TB harddisk which is connected to my router. This allows me to access content wirelessly over wifi.
In addition I have a LAN routed from my router to TV. Once You setup DLNA server, you can access the content seemlessly on any app.
Currently i am able to use Mx player, Vlc player etc to play my content and its fast. No buffering as I am using LAN instead of Wifi.
Try once.
Did you try to playback like a 50-60GB 4k movie either in M2s or MKV formats which are in HDR through this way of HDD connected over the router USB port?
The reason being the HDD are inside the Synology NAS server and only way the files are available across my local network is either enable a media station (synology local app) or Plex or some other UPNP service. Then only the HDD content is shared across the network. I am trying to see if it can make available the NAS content as purely files rather than media then the TV should be able to playback itself including transcoding.

I have a Plex server setup on my Nvidia Shield with all the hard drives connected to it through a TP link USB Hub. When it is switched on my LG C8 automatically detects it over wifi and I can play all my 4K videos directly from my TV without using the Shield. However from the TV it only shows the folder wise view.

Last edited:
Can any C9 owner confirm whether the sound output automatically switches to internal speakers from ARC once the ARC enabled AV receiver is switched off? In my C8, most of the time this automatic switching does not happen once I switch off the receiver. It remains in ARC mode with no sound unless I manually change it to internal speakers. However it works the other way round without any issues ie the moment my receiver is switched on the sound output automatically changes to ARC and the sound plays through my HT speakers.

Now a days torrents also provide 4k movies.
Try 1337x.(third party app available.)

Can any C9 owner confirm whether the sound output automatically switches to internal speakers from ARC once the ARC enabled AV receiver is switched off? In my C8, most of the time this automatic switching does not happen once I switch off the receiver. It remains in ARC mode with no sound unless I manually change it to internal speakers. However it works the other way round without any issues ie the moment my receiver is switched on the sound output automatically changes to ARC and the sound plays through my HT speakers.
It does. At times when the TV powers on and the AVR doesn't along with it then the audio switches to internal speakers as well.

Switches back and forth on LG-C8/Marantz-NR1605 combo.
If AVR is off, when ARC is selected on TV, AVR turns on.
Check the SIMPLINK settings in "General" tab.
Cheers,
Raghu

Can't you use Vlc player to play files over network

Switches back and forth on LG-C8/Marantz-NR1605 combo.
If AVR is off, when ARC is selected on TV, AVR turns on.
Check the SIMPLINK settings in "General" tab.
Cheers,
Raghu
I played with all settings but most of the time the when the AVR is off I have to manually change to internal speakers to get any audio. Will raise a complaint with LG.

Anyone using internal speakers? Earlier j was using AI sound, but ran into a problem of music being too loud and dialogues being muted. Since auto volume isn't that good and leads to weird drops even at low, I had to switch things up and experiment. Currently back to using Dolby Atmos Surround in Standard mode, acoustic tuning to Bass Boost and custom EQ to boost vocal body range. Now it sounds good and music isn't too high compared to vocals, even if it doesn't seem to surround the room as much as AI sound.

Another option might be to use Clear Voice III, but can't use surround sound with it or customise EQ. Also, with bass boost tuning the voice wasn't getting muddier. So maybe just Clear Voice III with Dolby Atmos, no surround, and standard acoustic tuning can also work.

Would love to hear what others are using, if using internal speakers at all.

Hello everyone, this is my first post on thia forum.

Wanted to ask something. So, a week back, i bought 2 lg c9s. One of them was installed a week back and everything has been woeking perfectly. I got the 2nd one installed today and everything is in order, except one thing. There wasn't a protective film on the front. Packaging is perfect, looks proper and new. Usage time is in order as well. Manufacturing date is also 9th September, so its not like the model is months old. Lack protective film on the front is the only thing bothering me. Is there any chance that it was a mistake/human error to not apply it? Such things happen? I talked to the dealer and he said that here is no chance of it being an old model or something like that and i shouldn't worry. He said that both the sets came directly from the factory.

Hello everyone, this is my first post on thia forum.

Wanted to ask something. So, a week back, i bought 2 lg c9s. One of them was installed a week back and everything has been woeking perfectly. I got the 2nd one installed today and everything is in order, except one thing. There wasn't a protective film on the front. Packaging is perfect, looks proper and new. Usage time is in order as well. Manufacturing date is also 9th September, so its not like the model is months old. Lack protective film on the front is the only thing bothering me. Is there any chance that it was a mistake/human error to not apply it? Such things happen? I talked to the dealer and he said that here is no chance of it being an old model or something like that and i shouldn't worry. He said that both the sets came directly from the factory.

Check grey uniformity and tinting on it. If that's good, keep it. A few hours of usage, even if it has been used, is nothing to worry about if grey uniformity and white tint are good. Those matter more.

If they aren't good, you can return it, as technically, protective film should have been there.

Check grey uniformity and tinting on it. If that's good, keep it. A few hours of usage, even if it has been used, is nothing to worry about if grey uniformity and white tint are good. Those matter more.

If they aren't good, you can return it, as technically, protective film should have been there.

Everything is perfect in terms of pq and packaging. Manufacturing date is also 9th sept. Protective film is the only missing thing.

Everything is perfect in terms of pq and packaging. Manufacturing date is also 9th sept. Protective film is the only missing thing.

Keep it, buddy. Grey uniformity and white tint is the bigger reason to play panel lottery. Your next one might have a protective film, but worse banding and tinting.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back