LG C9 User Thread (No Price Talk)

Netflix streams 4k and Dolby Vision content at max of 15.25 Mbps, which is about 12.5-13 GB per a two hour film. For most scenes this is actually good. Only in some scenes where there are large, flat expanses of grey will you see some banding. Rare only though.

So if you want to improve upon that, you can get 25-30 GB rips of movies. You might want to do that anyway, because apart from original content, other films aren't in HDR on Amazon or Netflix, or even 4k, but they are released as 4k HDR bluray. So that settles that I guess.

Overall, streaming for internal apps, I'm pretty happy on my 55-inch C9. 65-inch owners might have a differing opinion, but getting an external device makes sense terms of video quality only if the apps on that device offer better bitrates. I don't think so though because this cap is from the end of Netflix, and I'm sure Amazon has it too.

Again, you might have other reasons to add a streaming device though, including Plex. I was miffed by inconsistency of streaming over Wi-Fi, and the problem might actually be my router, but putting them in USB just made sense to me as it's consistent and the PC also runs for lesser amount of time. Save electricity. #climatechange lol

Many do use Plex for streaming over local netwrok and Kodi too. You can look into the latter too. Love4sound recomended that to me.
Thanks a lot for the input.
I currently use a 2nd gen chromecast and will either move to a 4K chromecast or the Mi Box if required.

And oh, I didn't know that about non-original content on Netflix not being available in 4k/HDR. Would be a bummer.
I'll look into setting up Plex/Kodi and download high end rips of good content just for movie nights.

If you don't have comparisons, then do link to these threads that you mention. Preferably where someone has done comparisons with the internal processing. Would interesting to precisely see what benefits it offers.
I'll come up with more in a bit, but based on a quick Google search here are a couple on this thread:

And there's a reddit thread for a LG CX owner in comments comparing native vs Kodi vs MadVR (with MadVR looking a lot better to him):

You can google it for a lot more sources, but I'm on phone right now and CBA. But if you really believe anything can even come close to MadVR, not happening even in next 5 years unless Nvidia itself comes up with DLSS for video. A TV, no way in hell.

Try it yourself and let us know. You'll thank me.

Thanks a lot for the input.
I currently use a 2nd gen chromecast and will either move to a 4K chromecast or the Mi Box if required.

And oh, I didn't know that about non-original content on Netflix not being available in 4k/HDR. Would be a bummer.
I'll look into setting up Plex/Kodi and download high end rips of good content just for movie nights.

Do that! What TV are you looking at?

I'll come up with more in a bit, but based on a quick Google search here are a couple on this thread:

And there's a reddit thread for a LG CX owner in comments comparing native vs Kodi vs MadVR (with MadVR looking a lot better to him):

You can google it for a lot more sources, but I'm on phone right now and CBA. But if you really believe anything can even come close to MadVR, not happening even in next 5 years unless Nvidia itself comes up with DLSS for video. A TV, no way in hell.

Try it yourself and let us know. You'll thank me.

I did search but couldn't find image comparisons. I'm satisfied with 1080p upscaling for the most part, so the difference has to be substantial to spend extra energy on running the PC and giving up the easy convenience of internal apps for all media consumption.

Some upscaling improvements shouldn't be responsible for damning the planet too IMO. Climate change is real and scary. Gotta find a happy compromise between quality and energy burning.

I'll try it as a fun project next weekend now maybe.

For native 4k content, it doesn't make that much of a difference, but it's there. Majority of the gains actually come from good upscaling of 1080p content which is plenty.

For 4k, the absolute best performance will come from either a full Bluray rip/REMUX (untouched) or a high quality encode(15-25GB, HEVC main 10), combined with an excellent renderer.

If money is not an object, I'd highly suggest putting 80-90k on an HTPC(Ryzen R5, RTX 2070,...) and get proper MadVR set up for dynamic tone mapping, excellent upscaling, dithering and anti-aliasing. It really makes a difference, especially on 1080p upscaling. If your main PC is in the same room, just put a long HDMI cable to the TV and that can be done too without extra cost.

You can also go for importing or getting an Nvidia shield TV 2019 from a friend which also has AI upscaling that actually does nicely (it won't beat NGU algorithm in MadVR though). One benefit of Nvidia shield also is that it'll also upscale Netflix, prime and other OTT content.

If you just want plain streaming and have a good router, you can put an HDD on your router and get SMB set up. Your router needs to be at least decent though as full REMUX can be upto 100 Mbps. This combined with how your TV buffers can cause video pauses. Alternate solution is Plex, which can also be done using a PC as Plex server. (I have over 3TB shared over my network using Plex and even the 50+ GB REMUX play just fine)
I'll look into the Remux thing.

I used to torrent a lot back in the day, but after all these streaming services came into picture, it didn't make a lot of sense for me to torrent. It was a mess actually because I stopped using a dedicated personal computer and was running out of my work computer on which I can't torrent.

Plus, it's just so much easier to have all the streaming services. Most of the movies will be available on any one of those at a given point.

Sometimes, when they aren't, I end up having to do a lot of gymnastics to get it working. I download on phone. Can't cast because subtitles won't work. I then need to transfer it to a pendrive before watching. Too much effort.

So, I'd actually prefer separating my Tv from my computing device.
But now, if I end up getting a high-end tv, I just didn't want to miss out on the best that it could offer. So I'm planning to get high-end rips of only some top-end movies and delete it off right after watching.

Last edited:
I'll look into the Remux thing.

I used to torrent a lot back in the day, but after all these streaming services came into picture, it didn't make a lot of sense for me to torrent. It was a mess actually because I stopped using a dedicated personal computer and was running out of my work computer on which I can't torrent.

Plus, it's just so much easy to have all the streaming services. Most of the movies will be available on any of those at a point.

Sometimes, when they aren't, I end up having to do a lot of gymnastics to get it working. I download on phone. Can't cast because subtitles won't work. I then need to transfer it to a pendrive before watching. Too much effort.

So, I'd actually prefer separating my Tv from my computing device.
But now, if I end up getting a high-end tv, I just didn't want to miss out on the best that it could offer. So I'm planning to get high-end rips of only some top-end movies and delete it off right after watching.

I agree. Like I posted above, I don't like the idea of burning more energy for some improvements that might be minor from viewing distance. Climate change is real and scarier than even this pandemic.

I use USB only for movies that aren't there on streaming services or for HDR rips for blockbuster movies, and like you, delete them after watching. If they were in HDR on these apps, I would watch them from there.

Plus my setup right now has no wires visible. Adding an HDMI wire from PC that I won't be able to hide is more of an issue for me than inferior upscaling on my C9. I don't really even have any complaints with the processing. Good bitrate HD looks just as good as 4k for the most part.

If you want simplicity and all-in-one solution, LG C9 has been working well for me overall.

I did search but couldn't find image comparisons. I'm satisfied with 1080p upscaling for the most part, so the difference has to be substantial to spend extra energy on running the PC and giving up the easy convenience of internal apps for all media consumption.

Some upscaling improvements shouldn't be responsible for damning the planet too IMO. Climate change is real and scary. Gotta find a happy compromise between quality and energy burning.

I'll try it as a fun project next weekend now maybe.
If you're happy with the upscaling on the TV, no need to do it then.

I personally have everything set up with MadVR and was going to do a C9 65" setup with my RTX 2070 super. Then corona stuck and couldn't do it. I'm really spoiled by how good the MadVR upscaling is for anime and 1080p content.

It's so good that even though I have a Netflix/Prime/Hotstar subscription, unless the source is in 4k, I just download it from a private tracker and play using MadVR. For 4k content, not worth the hassle as difference is not that big.

About the climate change bit, I do my part. Don't need AC in Bangalore, drive a small hatchback despite being able to afford much bigger(and fuel consuming) luxury cars and SUVs (will upgrade to electric in a couple years). 100W on my PC don't make that much of a difference if the TV consumes 300W.

Do that! What TV are you looking at?
Haha. I had a 49" Iffalcon earlier. And back in may-june, I actually had my mind and budget set on one of those new TCL QLED tvs.

Then, I came across this sub and read a lot about OLEDs and the branding masterpiece that subpar QLEDs are. And I like to watch movies in a pitch black room, almost tending towards a compulsive behaviour in-fact. Used to go about placing something over every other light source, even the led lights on routers, etc.

Given all these factors, I finally put my mind on an OLED. Planning to go for the CX55.
Been waiting for a few months now. Will get it in the next 15-20 days when the prices dip.

I personally have everything set up with MadVR and was going to do a C9 65" setup with my RTX 2070 super. Then corona stuck and couldn't do it. I'm really spoiled by how good the MadVR upscaling is for anime and 1080p content.

It's so good that even though I have a Netflix/Prime/Hotstar subscription, unless the source is in 4k, I just download it from a private tracker and play using MadVR. For 4k content, not worth the hassle as difference is not that big.

About the climate change bit, I do my part. Don't need AC in Bangalore, drive a small hatchback despite being able to afford much bigger(and fuel consuming) luxury cars and SUVs (will upgrade to electric in a couple years). 100W on my PC don't make that much of a difference if the TV consumes 300W.

I'll try it on a free day. Would be interesting to see just where it improves and how much. Probably won't use it on the regular though.

Well, I disagree with you on the last part. If TV is consuming 300W, all the more reason to burn anything more. Anyway, not the place to discuss climate change. Let's just hope we can get together snd do enough to avert collapse of civilization. I want to enjoy OLEDs for a long time.

Haha. I had a 49" Iffalcon earlier. And back in may-june, I actually had my mind and budget set on one of those new TCL QLED tvs.

Then, I came across this sub and read a lot about OLEDs and the branding masterpiece that subpar QLEDs are. And I like to watch movies in a pitch black room, almost tending towards a compulsive behaviour in-fact. Used to go about placing something over every other light source, even the led lights on routers, etc.

Given all these factors, I finally put my mind on an OLED. Planning to go for the CX55.
Been waiting for a few months now. Will get it in the next 15-20 days when the prices dip.

Haha! I have the same compulsion. I draw curtains and turn all lights even during the day and in the next room too. I have been in love with OLEDs the first time I saw almost 7 years ago in showroom when my brother was buying a TV. He took a 3D Sony TV with an IPS panel. I sighed. Lol

I actually added a dark wallpaper behind the TV now, which isn't showing in my profile pic. It looks even better in dark coz TV just floats there. Dark scenes often blend into the darkness. Do it before the TV comes if you can.

Attachments

• IMG_20200817_230420_compress74.jpg
    IMG_20200817_230420_compress74.jpg
    657.3 KB · Views: 38
Haha! I have the same compulsion. I draw curtains and turn all lights even during the day and in the next room too. I have been in love with OLEDs the first time I saw almost 7 years ago in showroom when my brother was buying a TV. He took a 3D Sony TV with an IPS panel. I sighed. Lol

I actually added a dark wallpaper behind the TV now, which isn't showing in my profile pic. It looks even better in dark coz TV just floats there. Dark scenes often blend into the darkness. Do it before the TV comes if you can.
Oh!! Nice!!
I remember reading about your dark wallpaper requirements somewhere on this sub.
After reading your comment, I've been considering it myself.

Could you link me to some nice options?
Did you buy a wallpaper online and stick it yourself or did you just end up painting the wall?

Worst case scenario I was thinking of just getting a large vinyl sheet with just black printed on it with cutouts for the TV and switchboards.
Not sure how dark that will turn my room into or if it will negatively affect the aesthetics.

Waiting to get the TV first before starting up research on this wallpaper project!
Also, what are those black flaps on top of the tv in your picture?

Oh!! Nice!!
I remember reading about your dark wallpaper requirements somewhere on this sub.
After reading your comment, I've been considering it myself.

Did you buy a wallpaper online and stick it yourself or did you just end up painting the wall?

Worst case scenario I was thinking of just getting a large vinyl sheet with just black printed on it with cutouts for the TV and switchboards.
Not sure how dark that will turn my room into or if it will negatively affect the aesthetics.

Waiting to get the TV first before starting up research on this wallpaper project!
Also, what are those black flaps on top of the tv in your picture?

Repainting route I didn't go because TV was already installed and wall mounted. I bought those dark wood patterned vinyl stickers rolls and pasted them on the wall. Works for the room as the bed is also dark wood and only the wall behind is dark, like an accent wall.

Those black flaps are bass traps from nankarrow. Small room, so I wanted to reduce some of the bouncing of sound, the reverberation time.

I also added some hexagonal wood panels on the back wall behind.

Attachments

• IMG_20201009_120925_resize_98.jpg
    IMG_20201009_120925_resize_98.jpg
    288.8 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_20200703_221323_compress15.jpg
    IMG_20200703_221323_compress15.jpg
    904 KB · Views: 42

This is what I had bought. Not available now though, but you can find similar alternatives by other sellers. They are kinda thin though, but worked well overall.

Don't agree with the "Not needing AC" in Blore part tho :p

Don't agree with the "Not needing AC" in Blore part tho :p
The highest temperature is around 35 degrees in the year, and at that time we're mostly in office. At night it's at best 25 degrees. It's like the whole city is an A/C. I never even needed the fan. Just open the balcony a bit and got much fresher and cool air.

Currently in Mumbai and I won't be able to survive a day without AC due to humidity. In Bangalore I never even thought about getting it.

Repainting route I didn't go because TV was already installed and wall mounted. I bought those dark wood patterned vinyl stickers rolls and pasted them on the wall. Works for the room as the bed is also dark wood and only the wall behind is dark, like an accent wall.

Those black flaps are bass traps from nankarrow. Small room, so I wanted to reduce some of the bouncing of sound, the reverberation time.

I also added some hexagonal wood panels on the back wall behind.
Looks good!
Thanks, will use it as a starting point.

And whoah. The sound aspect is indeed a totally different beast that I haven't looked into yet. Might have to optimise a few things later on I guess.

Looks good!
Thanks, will use it as a starting point.

And whoah. The sound aspect is indeed a totally different beast that I haven't looked into yet. Might have to optimise a few things later on I guess.

Try the TV speakers first. If they don't cut it, you can look at external solutions.

Hello everyone just entered in OLED family with CX55 yesterday, I have been following this thread with various setting suggested, all gurus can you please guide me right settings as to me it's too bright in the darkroom and can I create extra custom made setting for kid to watch cartoons?

Hello everyone just entered in OLED family with CX55 yesterday, I have been following this thread with various setting suggested, all gurus can you please guide me right settings as to me it's too bright in the darkroom and can I create extra custom made setting for kid to watch cartoons?
It's better if you create a separate thread for CX owners.As more and more members going to buy It and join you.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back