LG C9 User Thread (No Price Talk)

Marakk

Hey! Since C9 sales are definitely gonna pick up this month, it'll be nice to have a single group to discuss settings and personal findings.

Kindly avoid price talks as there's another thread for that, and it's best to have information segregated and collected at one spot. Otherwise this thread will also become a second price talk thread.

So for SDR settings, I'm using ISF expert dark and bright room presets with custom settings. I have configured everything to be same except for OLED light. There was black crush in my panel ootb, and I have raised brightness to 54 for now. Contrast I have reduced to 80, as that disables ABL. Gamma is 2.4, which is the same as BT1886 on OLEDs.

For DV, I have set up Cinema and Cinema home. In Cinema, I changed brightness to 52 to counter black crush. In Cinema Home, I have reduced brightness to 46 to bring back the elevated blacks. I have reduced peak brightness to Medium, as I feel HDR is plenty bright even at those settings in my viewing conditions. Cinema Home also has AI brightness, so I'm going to test keeping only that in future after making it look closer to Cinema in a dark room. AI brightness is supposed to take ambient light into account and change brightness accordingly. I don't like switching modes so this appeals to me.

For HDR 10, I'm only using Technicolor expert with AI Brightness turned on. Haven't changed brightness in it, but I will if I notice any black crush. Peak brightness again at Medium.

White balance is at Warm2 in all. Seems alright. Movies are warmer in Cinema too. Although, I would personally take something between Warm1 and Warm2, but since it's been a couple of days, I'm used to Warm2 now. Eyes adjust. AI picture is off for all.

For motion, I am now using Trumotion at De-judder 3 and de-blur 0. It seems to resemble the Clear setting now. This makes the objects in 24fps panning shots move with smoother bumps, instead of clear chops/stutters that happen with Trumotion off and Real Cinema on, which makes 24 fps play as they would natively on the panel with 5:5 pulldown. Soap opera effect starts happening at 4 and above for me. Smooth setting or De-judder 10 makes these panning objects not jump at all, but flows like butter by adding frames to make the content 60fps. So the smoother bumps/stutters in motion of these objects show that the content is not completely interpolated. The frames being added simply reducing the choppiness.

Although, it has taken me some time to adjust to the clarity and the motion. Even with TM off, C9 seems to be natively a lot smoother than the Metz OLED I had for a short while. I tested mutiple times to see if this added clarity and smoothness is SOE, but it's present even when Trumotion is off. Now that I have adjusted, it seems lovely. Really smooth motion without soap opera effect. Haven't noticed any artifacts as of yet in real content. On the Metz OLED, the motion gave me headaches and eye strain.

Coming to sound, I'm was slightly disappointed. The Metz one was louder and clearer even at low volume settings. Maybe it were the front firing speakers that helped. I have had to tinker a lot with C9's settings to get good room fill and presence, and even then, I have to raise volume to 50-60 for anything other than music. Take the soundbar offer if you're in a medium to big room; mine is placed in a small bedroom.

So my settings for the sound are AI Sound turned on and acoustic room tuning to Bass Boost. Dolby Atmos and DA Surround were pretty disappointing. Auto volume adjust also results in weird volume drops. Better keep it off.

Uniformity was decent. I'll check again after a week or so. Not noticing anything in content watching. Infact, pictures show it to be a lot worse than in person.

Pixel Shift is off, as I'm not watching anything with logos. Logo luminance is at default setting of low.

Edit:
So I just noticed some artifacting. Helicopter blades against bright skies can cause some artifacts. Spotted it in one shot of Nelly Furtado's Say It Right video. Went to Triple Frontier's helicopter scene. Again, it happened in 1 out of the 3 shots. Not too bad. I remember reading that in fast motion scenes TVs stop interpolation, but seems like this doesn't qualify or C9 is doing it even in fast scenes. Need to test more with action movies. For now, I'll take the smoother motion over this minor artifacting. Reduce De-judder to 2 or even 1 if it bothers you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations on your purchase. Just got my TV delivered and expecting it to be installed in the next few hours. Excited since this will be my first TV. Anything we should check for immediately after unboxing?

Congratulations on your purchase. Just got my TV delivered and expecting it to be installed in the next few hours. Excited since this will be my first TV. Anything we should check for immediately after unboxing?

Check that there is a clear film on both sides of the panel. Get it removed at the end of the installation. Problems of display pieces being sent shouldn't really happen, but still be aware and see if the packaging looks intact and opened for the first time.

Then set up the picture settings as you like and enjoy your TV! There are a lot of settings so just tune it according to your preference.

And oh, thanks and congrats to you too! Did you get the 3 year warranty offer?

Congrats welcome to the C9 family :)

I did go through the rtings - https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/c9-oled/settings and did the setup as suggested and pretty good so far.

You can also use these patterns to calibrate contrast and brightness: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-...48496-avs-hd-709-blu-ray-mp4-calibration.html

They are also on YouTube. This one is good for testing black crush:

Patterns for HDR are also there. I'll dig those out and try them over the weekend. :D

I have turned off Trumotion now. Testing it without it. Since the motion seems smoother than the Metz one even without any interpolation, I'll see if I can get used to Real Cinema.

Also, wondering what Motion Eye Care does. The description is confusing and haven't found any conclusive info online. Earlier there used to be high, low and medium settings. Will mail LG about it.

So motion eye care is just dimming of the screen when a certain set level of motion is detected. It's an energy saving feature for government testing. I wonder if it helps motion at all.

I have a very old Synology DS214se NAS server and I have close to 20-30 4K movies. Currently running Plex on this NAS and I am using the Plex renderer to playback these 4K content on my C9. I frequently get the error message on the TV that my network is slow for this content to playback. I use a gigabit network switch along with good quality cat6 cables. So I presume the issue is with my NAS running Plex unable to transcode this. But when I play the same move on the TVs USB port via a external HDD it plays smoothly without any lag issues. How do I overcome other than replacing the NAS :)

I have a very old Synology DS214se NAS server and I have close to 20-30 4K movies. Currently running Plex on this NAS and I am using the Plex renderer to playback these 4K content on my C9. I frequently get the error message on the TV that my network is slow for this content to playback. I use a gigabit network switch along with good quality cat6 cables. So I presume the issue is with my NAS running Plex unable to transcode this. But when I play the same move on the TVs USB port via a external HDD it plays smoothly without any lag issues. How do I overcome other than replacing the NAS :)

Woah! Someone else will have to chime in. I have never dealt Plex or servers. Lol!

I'm dabbling in making Cinema Home look like Cinema, but just a tad brighter, and I'm happy with the results. Bright scenes gain a tiny amount, colors mostly the same, but dark scenes get more oomph and visibility, which is helpful for dark shows like Ozark and Sabrina.

Thanks yes, but how are you playing your content on this TV?

WiFi and internal apps only for now. When I run out of content to watch, or if there's a special mvoie that isn't available, then I'll look outside.

You mean even 4K content are you playing over WiFi?

Yup! 100 Mbps speed. Plays well. Netflix and Amazon Prime Video look great. Hotstar is mediocre; it can't play 4k or HDR, and even in HD it takes longer to ramp up quality.

Yup! 100 Mbps speed. Plays well. Netflix and Amazon Prime Video look great. Hotstar is mediocre; it can't play HDR and even I'm HD it takes longer to ramp up quality.

Ok yes even me too using 100 Mbps constant speed on broadband with Amazon FireTV 4K and I also have a IPTV subscription with good amount of 4K channels on FireTV and by default it plays in DV. But those look pale compared to the full 4K set of movies that I have as I have experienced the first day on this TV playing it over the USB :)

Ok yes even me too using 100 Mbps constant speed on broadband with Amazon FireTV 4K and I also have a IPTV subscription with good amount of 4K channels on FireTV and by default it plays in DV. But those look pale compared to the full 4K set of movies that I have as I have experienced the first day on this TV playing it over the USB :)

Are you sure modes are the same? Is HDMI deep color enabled? I would expect slgithly higher quality because of more data, but big difference in colors seems like something is off.

Which show or movie did you find looking pale on Netflix or Amazon? I can only test those. Everything that I have seen looks fantastic. Now with my updated Cinema Home settings, even Sabrina and Ozark have gained oomph that was lacking in Cinema mode in DV on these intentionally dark shows.

Are you sure modes are the same? Is HDMI deep color enabled? I would expect slgithly higher quality because of more data, but big difference in colors seems like something is off.

Which show or movie did you find looking pale on Netflix or Amazon? I can only test those. Everything that I have seen looks fantastic. Now with my updated Cinema Home settings, even Sabrina and Ozark have gained oomph that was lacking in Cinema mode in DV on these intentionally dark shows.

Maybe I am trying to set too many things too many times ;)
I have also set to Cinema Home when playing over FireTV 4K on HDMI3. Please post your settings that you have for the sources like Netflix/Amazon especially for DV as by default my Fire stick plays in DV on streaming. For HDR/SDR I have just followed per rtings.com settings.

I have also set to Cinema Home when playing over FireTV 4K on HDMI3. Please post your settings that you have for the sources like Netflix/Amazon especially for DV as by default my Fire stick plays in DV on streaming. For HDR/SDR I have just followed per rtings.com settings.

I think someone else's picture settings is not ideal as your viewing conditions would differ. Pick a preset picture setting your like and then tweak that to your liking.

Congrats to all those who have a C9. Welcome to the glorious OLED family. Thanks to @Marakk to opening this thread. It has been a longtime coming.

Play the same content via fire stick and then via internal apps. Keep the same profile. The colors shouldn't be that different.

And as L said, tweak settings to you liking. Since Cinema is said to be the most accurate, I tweaked Cinema Home to just bit a bit brighter and vibrant. In Cinema, only thing I have changed is setting brightness to 52 as there was some black crush. In Cinema Home, I set contrast to 96 and color and brightness to 46. Then I switched back and forth like 50 times on various content to see differences and ensure that color and image overall isn't too wonky.

Cinema is too dark and dull for shows like Ozark and Sabrina. So my purpose in tweaking was to have just one picture mode setting for throughout the day. I don't want to switch. AI brightness will help with that. In Cinema, that's turned off.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back