LG Oled Extended Warranty- Is it worth it?

rahulj

Hi All,
I have recently joined the forum. I bought LG 55 C1 Oled two weeks back and wondering if I should buy 2 years extended warranty from LG. I already have 3 years warranty from LG that came with the tv. LG is supposedly running a promotion currently and quoting 21k (Indian Rupees) for extended warranty. They are claiming that this number would shoot up to 50k after two weeks. Its also important to mention about my previous Lg Oled Tv: I bought 55 LG Oled EC930 in 2016 and it became non-functional because of the panel failure after 5+ years, thus even 5 years warranty wouldn't have worked there!

I didn't want to buy oled tv again at the first place, but fell for its awesome blacks once again and bought it. What do you guys think about LG Oled panels in the last few years, are they more reliable? Any thought about getting Oled warranty beyond 3 years?

Last edited:
Hi All,
I have recently joined the forum. I bought LG 55 C1 Oled two weeks back and wondering if I should buy 2 years extended warranty from LG. I already have 3 years warranty from LG that came with the tv. LG is supposedly running a promotion currently and quoting 21k (Indian Rupees) for extended warranty. They are claiming that this number would shoot up to 50k after two weeks. Its also important to mention about my previous Lg Oled Tv: I bought 55 LG Oled EC930 in 2016 and it became non-functional because of the panel failure after 5+ years, thus even 5 years warranty wouldn't have worked there!

I didn't want to buy oled tv again at the first place, but fell for its awesome blacks once again and bought it. What do you guys think about LG Oled panels in the last few years, are they more reliable? Any thought about getting Oled warranty beyond 3 years?
Hello
U should definitely go for extended warranty.In lg Oled there is some issue of pixel burning but it comes only after 2-3 years.it is better to take extended warranty.If something happened in screen company replaced it and they will charge at least 60k if u don’t have warranty.I’m telling with my own experience.

Their regular warranty also doesn't cover Pannel damages (read burn-in) officially. However, fellow members reported that LG did replace their Pannel out of courtesy.
Good to know! Hopefully I don't face burn in or have to deal with this though

Good to know! Hopefully I don't face burn in or have to deal with this though
Don't get worried about it. With regular usage, you will be just fine. LG has incorporated numerous measures to reduce the effect of Burn-In.

Hi All,

worth it absolutely. this 'oled' tech is very questionable on reliability. So if you are planning to buy one then buy the extended warranty also.

I have been using a C7 for over 4 years now and I have no issues on the panel. I contemplated buying the extended warranty and then didn't bother going by the statistical knowledge that extended warranties are the biggest rip-offs in consumer electronics (it is not the same as buying one for a car). I am sure the current series of OLEDs have only become smarter and better at managing any notional issues tagged to OLED tech.

Thanks all for the reply. I spoke to LG dealer regarding depreciated TV value considered by LG in 4th and 5th year, and was told 35% and 20% respectively of the original invoice value. Thus, if Tv panel fails in 5th year LG would cover only 20% of the invoice plus warranty price(20k). He did say though that anything except physical damage is covered, but I doubt LG would cover burn in issues in the written warranty agreement.

Since already covered by LG warranty for 3 years, I have decided not to take for another 2 years(Fingers Crossed!). Hard to convince myself spending 20k now and if anything happens in 5th year, then go through the complicated process to claim just 20% of the value. Any thoughts?

Thanks all for the reply. I spoke to LG dealer regarding depreciated TV value considered by LG in 4th and 5th year, and was told 35% and 20% respectively of the original invoice value. Thus, if Tv panel fails in 5th year LG would cover only 20% of the invoice plus warranty price(20k). He did say though that anything except physical damage is covered, but I doubt LG would cover burn in issues in the written warranty agreement.

Since already covered by LG warranty for 3 years, I have decided not to take for another 2 years(Fingers Crossed!). Hard to convince myself spending 20k now and if anything happens in 5th year, then go through the complicated process to claim just 20% of the value. Any thoughts?
Absolutely right decision. Extended warranties in my opinion are a waste of money. In the initial days of product introductions one can go for it as the replacement or repair costs are high but over time they do get competitive. With 10 or 11generations of oleds i am pretty sure that you will nit need one.

Absolutely right decision. Extended warranties in my opinion are a waste of money. In the initial days of product introductions one can go for it as the replacement or repair costs are high but over time they do get competitive. With 10 or 11generations of oleds i am pretty sure that you will nit need one.
Does anyone recommend Upsie a extended warranty for OLED’s?

I see this was asked a few months ago, I would suggest go for it if you still have an option. Certain times, the OLED panels are bit too delicate. I have got my LGC8 panel gone wrong within 3-4 months after the warranty (default 2 years) expired, LG engineer confirmed that the panel is gone. I'm seriously looking for a good technician in Bangalore who can take another look and confirm if it's really a problem with the panel in which case I won't have any option left other than getting a new one, with better warranty support this time.

I have been using a C7 for over 4 years now and I have no issues on the panel.
I have to say, I'm quite relieved with the absence of burn in post 5500+ hours of usage on my LG G1 Evo panel.

I had terrific anxiety during the first few months, especially since i was primarily using it as a PC screen and i was certain that the static elements would leave a mark by now.
I contemplated buying the extended warranty and then didn't bother going by the statistical knowledge that extended warranties are the biggest rip-offs in consumer electronics (it is not the same as buying one for a car). I am sure the current series of OLEDs have only become smarter and better at managing any notional issues tagged to OLED tech.
Forget statistical, I'm telling you from real experience that it is worth going for extended warranty if it's not at a substantial cost, lest your TV conks off beyond the coverage.

I have had to throw away a TV recently since it conked off beyond warranty and repairs weren't worth the outlay considering the price of a new TV.

Instead of lg extended warranty, you check other third party extended warranty/insurance also. They may be cheaper.

Why don’t you simply get Home Insurance ?

HDFC Ergo gives a 5L cover for only 3k and it covers all accidental damages for TV’s etc.

If the TV conks off due to a motherboard issue, simply say it was because of a power surge or something. Or better yet just break the panel with a hammer if you get some bad burn in

Onsite go warranty for my LG G2 55 costing just 14k Whereas LG AMC warranty cost 20k
Also in onsite go u can buy Warranty within 9 months from purchase whereas LG 39 Days max.

Why don’t you simply get Home Insurance ?

HDFC Ergo gives a 5L cover for only 3k and it covers all accidental damages for TV’s etc.

If the TV conks off due to a motherboard issue, simply say it was because of a power surge or something. Or better yet just break the panel with a hammer if you get some bad burn in
Interesting. Even otherwise, we can always claim that the TV got stolen if burglary is covered in it. Will this work? Home (and appliances) insurance idea is a cheaper bet if it really works out.

FIR will be required
Anyways this is an out of thr box thinking and not everybody does it as it is like a loophole and against straight arrow boy scout practices. I wonder if most forum members will use this kind of way around expensive ext. warranty costs.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back