LG Plasma TVs

mj_wilankar

Hi Guys,

Can anybody here tell me about LG's Plasma range, particularly 42"....
They have very competative prices and 0% finance schemes to attract for.
I am planning to buy the Plasma 42" TV in near future but still surveying about the manufacturer in regards of quality, service, prices....

Jeetu
Airoli, New Mumbai

Boss LG (#!x@#x@!x)...

Thats all i will say about LG...

dont look at minor price difference...
you not gonna buy a plasma daily...are you...???

go for either Panasonic or Hitachi...
they are best for Plasmas...

Last edited:
The latest LG LCD series looks very good with RED COLORED REAR SIDE.
The contrast ratio is 50,000 to 1
Response time is 4 which is very good as sony,samsung and others are still 5,6 or 7
Full HD 100/120Hz
Looks very beautiful. LG is not going to lag behind for Ever. There is serious competetion and unless LG improves it can only sell on lower pricing.
But new series is really good.
The SPEAKERS ARE DESIGNED BY Mr.MARK LEVINSON ( The MAN not the company )
Picture quality is also comparable with the top few brands.
So please do not discard LG altogether. Do some more homework before u decide . Take every body's advice but make your own final judgement.
I am not sure if this new series is already launched in India. But i did see a picture in WHAT Hi-Fi May,2008 Indian issue.
I have personally seen this range in 36", 42" and 47" elsewhere and it looks stunning with a feather touch round on/off Ring

The latest LG LCD series looks very good with RED COLORED REAR SIDE.
The contrast ratio is 50,000 to 1
Response time is 4 which is very good as sony,samsung and others are still 5,6 or 7
Full HD 100/120Hz
Looks very beautiful. LG is not going to lag behind for Ever. There is serious competetion and unless LG improves it can only sell on lower pricing.
But new series is really good.
The SPEAKERS ARE DESIGNED BY Mr.MARK LEVINSON ( The MAN not the company )
Picture quality is also comparable with the top few brands.
So please do not discard LG altogether. Do some more homework before u decide . Take every body's advice but make your own final judgement.
I am not sure if this new series is already launched in India. But i did see a picture in WHAT Hi-Fi May,2008 Indian issue.
I have personally seen this range in 36", 42" and 47" elsewhere and it looks stunning with a feather touch round on/off Ring

Dear SKR

Good to know, that you favour LG...
anyhow they have nothing to be neglected, but even they dont have anything to be praised...
If you are talking about 50000:1 contrast ratio... i would suggest you to kindly visit any multi brand shop, and compare it with any other good brands...
then you will come to know...

LG focus 95% on LCDs...and in LCDs nothing rather than Brightness convince the customers...

Yes i agree coloured palletes are convincing.. but what matters at the end is picture quality...
When its come to HD, they all upscale the picture from 1366x768 resolution...
LG only wins battle with price...

I have faced number of problems with this regards...
companies who are particular about pricing goes for LG, besides how good specs you provide them...

Altogether its a budget, short period product...
Price vs Price...

This is what i have observed...
Views may differ person to person...

Thanking You

Mridul Goel

Thanks Mridul,
If you read my thread you will observe I have not said LG is a good brand. I have also said they are selling on lower pricing. I would be last person to buy a LG TV even at 25% discount.
All I said was that I saw their latest series and it looked very attractive and competitive with good specs and if the gentleman is planning to buy a LG TV than he can also look into this and do his home work again.
It looks now LG is taking on with the competition and coming out with better products.
This new LG series is definitely comparable with others if not better.

If you ask me personally I will say SHARP New AQUOS MONA LISA SMILE SERIES is the best LCD TV in the market as on today. Totally made in Japan not korea or china.
I cannot say which will be best tomorrow.
But again it is a subjective statement and every one has his own likes and dislikes.

Thanks Mridul,
If you read my thread you will observe I have not said LG is a good brand. I have also said they are selling on lower pricing. I would be last person to buy a LG TV even at 25% discount.
All I said was that I saw their latest series and it looked very attractive and competitive with good specs and if the gentleman is planning to buy a LG TV than he can also look into this and do his home work again.
It looks now LG is taking on with the competition and coming out with better products.
This new LG series is definitely comparable with others if not better.

If you ask me personally I will say SHARP New AQUOS MONA LISA SMILE SERIES is the best LCD TV in the market as on today. Totally made in Japan not korea or china.
I cannot say which will be best tomorrow.
But again it is a subjective statement and every one has his own likes and dislikes.

Dear SKR

Take it easy buddy...
we are not arguing out here...
just discussing the norms...

anyways...u r right...they are trying hard...to get into market...but everytime samsung in the same class cuts LG off...

God save LG and its customers...lol...

Hi.
This is the latest series from SHARP and really very very good rather best picture quality not very harsh on the eyes. The response time is very fast and contrast ratio is very good. You get 42 inches so 2 inches more than Sony and Samsung.
You will have to contact a Sharp dealer to find out about this. Either it is already launched or about to be launched.
I even heard that now Sony is using Sharp LCD panels for its top models inplace of Samsung panels used ealier. But I just heard from a dealer friend and not so sure about it.
It is worth waiting in case it is about to be launches.
As I live in Delhi and Bangkok also I am some times able to see a model before it is launched in India.
SKR

Hi Square Wave,
I have posted my comments in another thread " HELP -I want to buy a LCD TV " about LCD TV and how to compare them by avoiding HD BOX used by most retailers.
Have a look at LATEST LG TV in case u r thinking of LG. No harm in having a look. After all u r going to spend a lot of money and u don't buy TV's every day.
May be you can read that thread also.
Regards
SKR

Have a look at LATEST LG TV in case u r thinking of LG. No harm in having a look. After all u r going to spend a lot of money and u don't buy TV's every day.
Regards
SKR

Dear SKR

No harm in having a look is fine...

But i am confused buddy...
Did you mean to that just have look at it and decide for quality as we dont buy TVs everyday or you want to mean have a look at LG too as you are spending your harf earned money, and skipping LG may later put you confessing...

Anyways i got your point what you wanted but still, just wanted to pull ur leg..

Square Wave...i am not against the brand name LG...
LG is one of the most reputated companies in India atleast, and serves 46% of the consumer electronics in India...(TV, Refrigirator, etc...)

But, now as i am in this industry i have observed the difference between quality and brandings...

SKR, for your information, SONY is using Hitachi LCD panels in there frames, they are using Hitachi's IPS alpha technology that is being registered/invented by Hitachi...
And you would be surprised to know, that even samsung has recently started maufacturing of panels...(Last Year)...
earlier even they use to buy panels from China...

Yes Sharp Aquos series is good one...
They have a response time of 3.7 milliseconds, with a display contrast ratio of 10000:1 and resolution of 1366x768p and even they are coming up with some new Full HD models..
Yes they can be considered if you are considering LCDs only...

But, in case you are looking at size equal to 37" or plus, then i would suggest you to stick on to Plasma, as for home theatre nothing can be better served as plasmas...

Do let me know, if you have any querry's or are looking out for any AV product...

Thanking You

Mridul Goel

Hi Mridul,
You keep on talking about LG. In my post I am just asking him to look at the new model of LG. which is very good.
In my preference I have said about Sharp, Phillips and Samsung, so where is the problem. And I still say latest model of LG is not like their Previous models and is much better.
LET ME SAY VERY STRAIGHT THAT I DO NOT AGREE WITH YOU ON LG's LATEST MODEL . Every model is not same.
10 years back who could say Samsung will become a force in Electronics and home appliances.Also who could say a GIANT LIKE SONY WILL COLLOBORATE WITH SAMSUNG and buy TV panels from them.
The Sony's latest top range is sourcing panels from Sharp and I will check again and confirm on this. Sharps black panel is the best made in japan and not in China or Korea.
Let me ask u one thing which are the products you are dealing in?
Regards
SKR

Hi Mridul,
You keep on talking about LG. In my post I am just asking him to look at the new model of LG. which is very good.
In my preference I have said about Sharp, Phillips and Samsung, so where is the problem. And I still say latest model of LG is not like their Previous models and is much better.
LET ME SAY VERY STRAIGHT THAT I DO NOT AGREE WITH YOU ON LG's LATEST MODEL . Every model is not same.
10 years back who could say Samsung will become a force in Electronics and home appliances.Also who could say a GIANT LIKE SONY WILL COLLOBORATE WITH SAMSUNG and buy TV panels from them.
The Sony's latest top range is sourcing panels from Sharp and I will check again and confirm on this. Sharps black panel is the best made in japan and not in China or Korea.
Let me ask u one thing which are the products you are dealing in?
Regards
SKR

Dear SKR

My fight is not with LG, but, i prefer Quality, and i do oppose all those companies who eats up the market...

Secondly, for your information, SONY is buying onyl the S Series panels Samsung, all others they are currently buying panels from Hitachi, you can see there review, IPS alpha technology must be metioned there, and thats Hitachi technology...
Last year they use to buy from Sharp...AQUOS technology...

And regarding me dealing with the brands, i got in total more than 16+ brands with me... I basically do home & office automation, and am not a dealer, but a master distributor, for Norht & West India, i got my own distributors and there own dealers...
I am even dealing with Car Audio/Video & Neon Lights & GPS/Mobile Automation for vehicles, for them again i am the North & West India Master Distributor...
I concern all brands who serve quality...
I have even sold 42" Pioneer @ Rs.1,60,000, and have even sold the same 42" Panasonic, for Rs.69,000...
so it depends on the customer...
But, yes Panasonic, Pioneer, NEC, Hitachi and Sharp are my main, video products...
With more than 16 brands i am dealing with thousands of products...
And i love providing quality rather than just product...

So dont ever think that i am here only to sell my products...
You would not believe but, i have learn a lot, in all these days being on this site...
Earlier i just use to read the comments, and use to learn...

So dont take on hype buddy, we are just doing discussions here, not fighting...
And i never wanted to oppose you as on front, its a part of discussion... so just take a chill pill...

Gtta learn a lot from you too, regarding audio...you have some good points in that as well...

Regards

Mridul Goel

Hi Guys,
Good to see all this discussion happening?:)
I an definitely not going to buy a plasma or lcd from LG or even Samsung or even sony. I prefer Pioneer Kuro range?But who does not :rolleyes: Unaffordable though???..:mad:
I am looking at Hitachi, Panasonic, sharp only.
I was just curious about the Mona lisa range from sharp. I am not able to find it on the sharp India site?..
I agree with Mridul that plasmas give better picture quality. More natural picture with more subtle details in the dark areas and almost zero ??eye fatigue?.
The only brand that is launching plasma at 37 inch is Panasonic from what I know???..
Looks like this one will have the most tightly packed plasma pixels ( highest pixel density per inch) from the whole bunch.

Hi Mridul,
I appreciate your detailed reply. And sorry for using word "Dealer Or Dealing in", which i did not mean that way. I could make out from your mails that you are a Big/Mass importer/distributor.
I agree on every thing you said in your last mail and i agree that it is a healthy discussion to exchange views and learn from mutual experiences.

Our point of confrontation came when you outrightly rejected LG's New Model.
If I had not seen this model about 2 weeks back I would not be talking about LG atall. PLEASE NOTE I AM NOT A LG FAN, BUT IF I SAW SOMETHING GOOD I MUST LEARN TO APPRECIATE IT.
For example no body knew about Dopod cell phone which was considered a Taiwanese lower brand about a year back. I saw and i liked it with wifi and I bought one for my daughter who is in college. My son who is in USA started telling me what loussy phone I had bought. But see today Dopod/HTC is very respected brand very solid built quality and now popular also. Same model if it was under the name of Nokia or Sony would cost 20 to 30% costlier.
Even Now I never placed LG in top 3 choices I gave.
Regarding Plasma I agree that there is no response time and this is a problem of LCD TV where fast moving objects get blurred. But this has improved a lot now.
Brands like Pioneer and NEC are making only Plasma.And many people prefer Plasma but percentage is lower. But unfortunately I am in LCD camp till now , let me see if i continue to be the same in future.
I AM FLEXIBLE THAT WAY
I still think LCD picture quality is better. May be for TV viewing Plasma is better but for DVD's/Blue Ray LCD is a better choice. It is said that Plasma causes less fatique but i am not sure. the same is said about Sharp LCD panels.

Unlike Projection displays, LCD and Plasma's are supposed to be seen in full/normal room lights so that should not be a problem.
I saw recent models of Pioneer Plasma TV which have improved very much. A couple of friends who had bought same pioneer Plasma about 2 years back now feel they should have bought LCD, because present day LCd's are much better than older Plasma's.

I am Using a older Phillips 42" LCD which I bought about 18 months back and I am happy with it. But I paid a lot at that time.
ONE THING I CAN RECOMMEND, that if you use a good power conditioner with your LCD or Plasma panels it will improve picture quality a lot. I am using SHUNYATA HYDRA smallest model with my LCD with great results.
I am basically an audiophile for last 25 or 30 years and buying electronic gazettes is my hobby. have owned systems like Mirage M-1, many models of Bose including 901's ,Wilson Whatt/puppy, quads Electrostatics 989 and 2805, Avantgarde Horn speakers and a few others.
I am happy that this forum is there which is a good way for audiophile and vediophile community to know each other and learn more as both these lines are still in infant stage and need to grow a lot more.
No hard feelings and hope to learn more from each other.
Warm Regards
SKR

Hi SKR,
Almost all videophiles I know recommend plasma over the lcd. Don??t ask me why. I have not compared a fully tweaked lcd and a plasma in the same lighting conditions yet. But one thing I can say , I have seen some good private installations of plasma pioneer, Panasonic etc..in some videophile??s homes and they look very different from what you see in showrooms. I have been very impressed.
From what I have read on avforums, the newer LG lcd panels are quite good.
AVS Forum
Btw: You have owned an impressive lineup of speakers. Awesome..:)

Hi Square Wave,
thanks for your comments.
I agree the Plasma Panels have improved a lot in past one year . I also saw Pioneer and panasonics plasma's lately and they are really very good.
Also they are non fatiqueing. But i find LCD pictures very sharp and clean.
The response time has also imroved and you don't need dark room for either technology.
But i fail to understand if it was so why LCD is selling much more than Plasma and all manufacturer make more LCD panels compared to Plasma except Pioneer.
May be like in India MANUAL CARS ARE MORE POPULAR AND THERE IS A MISCONCEPTION ABOUT AUTOMATIC GEARS WHICH ARE MUCH MORE CONVENIENT and no more fuel inefficient. Some brands give you only automatic option ,no manual option here.
May be i need to have another look with different mind set at Plasma and let you know.
Thanks for AV Forum web site.
Regards
SKR

Why LCD is selling more than plasmas ?
I think it is like this. Correct me if I am wrong.
Once upon a time all flat panel tv??s were Plasmas. And they all started at 40 or 42inches. They were either too big or expensive for lot of users. The smallest hd ready plasma even now is 37inches.
The plasma panel technology has been around for more than a decade and has improved / matured a lot. I think we are at the 12 th generation panel or something now.
The advantage with LCD is that you can pack more pixels in a smaller size. For example 1080 pixels in a 32inch panel tv. And lcd panel manufacturing became cheaper and you started getting smaller
sized panels with high resolution at cheaper prices. That is why they sell a lot. I think at higher sizes where the customer is very discerning, plasmas are more popular.

I think some of the videophiles could chip in here. I am more of an audiophile armed with some knowledge from some discussions with some videophile friends:eek:

Dear SKR

What hard feelings...its just discussion, and sometimes they do warm up, but thts a part of learning...

anyways, nice collection you owned for Audio...

And anyways, thanks i never knew that Dopod and HTC are same...

Anyways, yes i agree one like picture in LCDs, but the only reason is the brightness...
Do a test, bring down the brightness of LCD upto Plasma, and then watch a news channel (with scroller), one car racing, one cricket shot, preferabbly a six...
there the difference comes up...

Yes LCD have sharper picture, but again the success goes to backlight...
anything that has good focus is sharpened...
its the same as projection system, just the difference is that the image is mirrored inside the panel only...

Anyways, its once own way of viewing the things...

Dear Square_wave

Hehe nice to read your comments...

Anyways, one thing i need to ask you people, how many of you really know, about the history of Plasmas, or how many of you have heard about plasmas, in before 1990...???

For all of your information, Plasma technology was invented itself in 1983, and in 1991, first plasma screen was launched...
In 1997, first plasma panel was launched, and in 2001, first plasma tv was launched...
So, Plasma is a new technolofy, comparing LCD or LED technology...
anyhow, OLED is the latest technology...

Regarding LCD, i dont know about others, but, from the time, i learnt to learn, maybe 1st class, from that moment i am hearing about LCD in watches and many places...
LCD if i am not wrong was invented in mid 1930's...

And the oldest technology is LED somewhere invented in 1880's....

So please dont have a misconception regarding the technology of plasmas...

anyways, one more information, plasma has even being launched in 32"...

But, you would be amazed that earlier even plasmas were launched in smaller sizes of 32" and 37", but they were not succesfull, due to few of there limitations...

But, with new technology, again, they are launching 32, and 37" Plasmas...
Lets hope even they work out good...

And SKR, i am not as big as you think...but yes i am on growing verges...
I have started my business 2 months back only, and got a pretty good offer, for North India & West India, so am working on for Distributors and Dealers...
So will be moving full fleshed now..

Do let me know, if you have any querry's, i would be happy to assist you with..

Thanking You

Mridul Goel

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back