Life of DLP Projectors

nanda.uforians

Hi every one,

I am planning to get a projector - probably Optoma HD21. I have been reading about projectors a lot in the web and one of the things that concern me is that most people have issues after a year of using the projectors, especially the DLP ones.

I plan to use the projector for mostly using DVD/Bluray movies at around 4 hrs/week on an average. The average might drop down as time goes by. If that is the case, how long do you think it will take before the product to throw up issues?

What is the support structure for Optoma projectors in India?

People, who have owned projectors for more than 2-3 years, can you please share your experiences?

Thanks,
S.Nandakumar,
Chennai.

I've had the Toshiba TLP 560 which is a DLP projector since 2007. Yes I have not used it since the last 2 years
However I did turn it on a few months ago for a few minutes and it worked flawlessly

But I guess you get my drift.Its been 5 years since I have had it and absolutely no issues whatsoever.
I used to use it primarily for movies back in the day

I am using the legendary DLP 4805 from infocus for more than 6 years. Still on the original bulb (limited usage). Just proper protection from dust, careful usage & it still rocks! touch wood:eek:

Somehow I feel, build quality was better for older products although now they are outdated.

My projector, although an LCD model, has been working flawlessly on original bulb since 2005. Usage is limited to 2-3 hours per week.

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2

My 2 yr old Optoma is showing dead pixels at the moment....seems to be a common problem with optoma. The DMD chip costs around $150-200. I am wondering whether to repair or to dispose it. Suggestions welcome

Thanks,but both suffer from the same TI DMD Chip which blows after 2 years of use. Anybody whose gonna buy these 2 models, i would recommend a BIG extended warranty.

Thanks,but both suffer from the same TI DMD Chip which blows after 2 years of use. Anybody whose gonna buy these 2 models, i would recommend a BIG extended warranty.

Is there any LCD projectors(3LCD like Epson) available in the India? Or we have to get it from US only?

Edit: In particular I was looking for Epson 710HD. Is this model available here? Or is there any equivalent model(non DLP) projectors available in India?

Last edited:
I have a Dell 2400mp that I have used nearly 3-4 hours a day nearly every day since 2006. Not only is it well up to that kind of use, the most recent bulb is showing over 4000 hours of use and I can still see the picture fine. I panicked and replaced the bulb the first time @ 2000 hrs, the second I went till 3000, I am running this bulb till I cant see the picture or till spring comes, cos then the weather gets brighter and we have longer and more daylight, so a weak bulb starts to show ...
DLP and dell are phenomenal, except the bulbs are pricey. The first replacement cost me 150, the current one I am looking @ is nearly 100 - all prices in US$.
LCD has the same bulb life issues, plus they have the problem of beign low contrast, and they also sometimes suffer from "dead cells". I'll go LED instead of LCD.

Cool.
Srinath.

I use my projector for around 3 to 4 hours a day for 5 days a week and there is no problem, my first projector lasted for over 3 years and then there was just a bulb issue. My 2nd projector is also running as per said schedule and needless to say that there is no issue.

To sum it up the projector can run this well with greatest ease provided proper care is taken.

V.

if you have issues regarding the life of the projector, you should opt for an LED technology projector, been using the Egate P424 model for a couple of years now, it still is impressive, the company claims a life of 50,000 hrs. !

the new P512 model, i heard is rocking !!

The egate is not dlp, its a LCD panel lit by an LED bulb.
I am thinking of LED, but not for just the bulb, I want all led.
Let me see what I find.
Cool.
Srinath.

AFAIK, all projectors are either DLP or LCD. LED is just the light source replacing the traditional bulb.

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back