Linn Records launches high-quality streaming music service

Absolute Phase

Linn is boosting its commitment to quality online music with the launch of three 320kbps music channels drawn from the Linn Records catalogue. And it's also upgrading its range of DS network players with new software able to stream the new services as well as select and store as presets up to a hundred internet radio stations.

The Linn Radio stations are available from a dedicated website, and can be played via a range of standalone devices and software such as iTunes, Squeezebox players and the like as well, of course, as the Linn DS range.

Three stations are available: Linn Radio presents a selection from across the catalogue; Linn Jazz majors on new and classic recordings from artists such as Claire Martin, Tina May and Carol Kidd; and Linn Classical features recordings from the company's fast-growing catalogue, including recordings by Artur Pizarro, the Scottish Chamber Orchestra and the Dunedin Consort.

All are available at a quality way beyond current DAB standards and most other internet radio services and all are free, 24 hours a day.

For Linn DS owners wanting to upgrade to internet radio or Radio DS and receive the services, an upgrade to Cara 6 software is required: this can be done by a Linn retailer, or by following the instructions on the Linn DS upgrade page.

The Radio DS service is powered by RadioTime, and allows users to access thousands of online stations worldwide, including the all-Elvis The Presley Radio from Amsterdam!

Here's a link: link.

I'm just now giving the classical channel a try. Listened to some stuff from The Merry Widow that I haven't heard for decades! Now some piano music...

Listening on my PC with M-Audio AV40s and I'd say that the quality of the stream is excellent.

Thanks, Absolute Phase

Your welcome Thad! You must come and listen to them through the Linn DS players, its a world apart, far superior and since yesterday I haven't stopped listening to music! So many channels to choose from. Love the Linn radio stations as they have the highest quality of 320kbps. Go to Radiotimes and you can select more presets and hear all the free stations on many other devices too.

It's a hotchpotch selection but nice for a background.

I'll check it out over the Squeezebox.

I do listen to BBC streaming sometimes, but tend to go more for drama and comedy rather than music.

Your welcome Thad! You must come and listen to them through the Linn DS players, its a world apart, far superior and since yesterday I haven't stopped listening to music! So many channels to choose from. Love the Linn radio stations as they have the highest quality of 320kbps. Go to Radiotimes and you can select more presets and hear all the free stations on many other devices too.

Which DS player do you have in your showroom? I see that Klimax is a 20K USD player and Majik is a more affordable $4200. At those price, they better be special.

It's a hotchpotch selection but nice for a background.

I'll check it out over the Squeezebox.

I do listen to BBC streaming sometimes, but tend to go more for drama and comedy rather than music.

Thad do listen to the Linn DS players and compare it with SB on the ease of use, cost, quality of SQ and most imp choice of music available.

Thank you

--
helium

I don't think that Linn has ever been in my budget range --- I looked, once, quite a few years ago.

Does it still inspire the same love-it-or-hate-it responses from people?

Choice of music is ... the internet, which, I guess, is the same for both!

Remember that the Squeezebox (apart from the one high-end model) is a mid-budget streaming system:as raj says, anything substantially more expensive "better be special".

I have the Akurate DS & Majik DS on demo. Wish I had the Klimax DS, (Saving up for one personally). The are special and they are for the price. Yes they are expensive but damn good. Wish they were cheaper!

Can demo Akurate DS & Majik DS on a full 5-way Aktive Akurate system. Just awesome. Got up at 6am today and have been listening to some great music. Never knew 320kbps MP3 could sound so good. ( Not a fan of MP3 at all) .

Just installed a full Kilmax system last week. Klimax DS, Klimax Kontrol & Klimax 350A.

Last edited:
I wonder why they didn't choose flac, or even ogg --- although I also found the 320kbs perfectly listenable to.

I honestly do not know if ogg is any better, or if it is just more associated with music enthusiasts as opposed to portable music.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back