Your Favourite Internet Radio Stations

• Thread starter Deleted member 15865
  • Start date
Radio Paradise

How can I not but start with the bouquet of radio stations that occupies at least a quarter of my radio listening time! ‘Radio Paradise’ is a benchmark for all musical Internet radio stations. A subscription free as well as ad-free service run by a couple in America with four dedicated streams playing at five bitrates (highest being FLAC), well-curated content excellent sound quality - there’s so much going for Radio Paradise!

RP recently went from one stream to four and now we have:
RP Main (mix of best music across genres)
RP Rock (classic, alternative and indie rock)
RP Mellow (singer-songwriter, country, folk)
RP World/Etc (latest offering, getting better by the day)

View attachment 45911
View attachment 45912
View attachment 45913
View attachment 45914

Radio Paradise is available as a mobile app. The app is very feature rich. Each song that’s played can be rated by listeners from 1-10 and you also see the overall rating (as well as rating for the artist). You have links to the same track on Apple Music and some other apps as well as the Allmusic.com page of the album. What more, there’s a description of the artist if you click on the name. And the best part is the bulletin board, with some very illuminating comments of the track by RP listeners posted over the years! It is one of the most comprehensive listeners feedback anywhere on the Internet. It’s a great way to know more about and appreciate better the current song being played.

I access the RP streams natively on the CXN V2 streamer - in fact these four are the first four presets on mine - it’s that good! RP is one of the handful Internet stations that (also) broadcasts at FLAC bitrate. Here are the links. You can add them on CXN through the CA Connect app:

RP is a listener-supported channel that is run on donations by satisfied users. These guys acknowledge every donation through a personalised mail and are also quite responsive to any feedback/suggestions. All in all, you get the feeling of a passionate and noble enterprise with Radio Paradise. Give them a try and chances are you’d be hooked.
Having spent the morning listening to the ‘mellow mix’ I realised the amazing curation of content they play. Consistent quality over two and half very enjoyable hours of lovely music. I will be sending a donation.

Sent them $ 10. They (Rebecca & Bill- a couple from California) responded with thanks and an assurance that my email and identity will be kept private and not used for marketing. I love their approach to their mission and their values!

User donation supported, they love what they do, provide consistently good quality service, no Ads, not primarily motivated by massive monetary profit or greed...what’s not to like?

Radio Paradise, Signal messaging app, some independent news channels online,....I am sure there are more?

IS THIS THE NEW PRIVATELY RUN BUSINESS MODEL OF THIS ERA THAT IS GOOD FOR ALL?

May be such business model wouldn't work for long. One, People rarely appreciate RFREE things. Two, people will happily pay through their nose for "Status Symbol" products/services but will seldom donation support even better services.

May be such business model wouldn't work for long. One, People rarely appreciate RFREE things. Two, people will happily pay through their nose for "Status Symbol" products/services but will seldom donation support even better services.
I agree, good and clever marketing works and that’s why it’s being done everywhere for everything and is a multi billion dollar/rupee industry.

Then we have so called “free services” like Facebook, WhatsApp, google and such where we the users are the commodity being sold to market researchers and their wealthy-powerful and shady clients.

But I also feel models like Radio Paradise, Signal messaging service etc are alternates that need to be identified and supported as special and unique cases. I started listening to RP initially as it was free. I soon started listening to it regularly, in between Spotify, Tidal HiFi etc. After several weeks I thought to myself’ I am paying for Tidal, Spotify premium but not RP, even though I spent similar time with each. How do they sustain themselves? Can I do something in return?

RP is Ad free, and serves up some fabulous line up of music I like very much and I take it for granted...they pay musicians something every time they play one of their songs too.

Last edited:
Their history is very interesting. They’ve been going strong since 2000, despite royalty hikes by music companies (2007) and a massive fire (2018).

These guys aren’t after scale up. They seem happy being a cottage industry. I find their revenue model quite interesting. I believe they have loyal customer base that wants to support them with donations. Every time I send them an amount, I feel good within. Models such as theirs or Wikipedia’s provide a much-needed alternative to the conventional buyer-seller-investor model.

Last edited by a moderator:
Radio Paradise

How can I not but start with the bouquet of radio stations that occupies at least a quarter of my radio listening time! ‘Radio Paradise’ is a benchmark for all musical Internet radio stations. A subscription free as well as ad-free service run by a couple in America with four dedicated streams playing at five bitrates (highest being FLAC), well-curated content excellent sound quality - there’s so much going for Radio Paradise!

RP recently went from one stream to four and now we have:
RP Main (mix of best music across genres)
RP Rock (classic, alternative and indie rock)
RP Mellow (singer-songwriter, country, folk)
RP World/Etc (latest offering, getting better by the day)

View attachment 45911
View attachment 45912
View attachment 45913
View attachment 45914

Radio Paradise is available as a mobile app. The app is very feature rich. Each song that’s played can be rated by listeners from 1-10 and you also see the overall rating (as well as rating for the artist). You have links to the same track on Apple Music and some other apps as well as the Allmusic.com page of the album. What more, there’s a description of the artist if you click on the name. And the best part is the bulletin board, with some very illuminating comments of the track by RP listeners posted over the years! It is one of the most comprehensive listeners feedback anywhere on the Internet. It’s a great way to know more about and appreciate better the current song being played.

I access the RP streams natively on the CXN V2 streamer - in fact these four are the first four presets on mine - it’s that good! RP is one of the handful Internet stations that (also) broadcasts at FLAC bitrate. Here are the links. You can add them on CXN through the CA Connect app:

RP is a listener-supported channel that is run on donations by satisfied users. These guys acknowledge every donation through a personalised mail and are also quite responsive to any feedback/suggestions. All in all, you get the feeling of a passionate and noble enterprise with Radio Paradise. Give them a try and chances are you’d be hooked.

Thanks for this recommendation. I’m loving this.
Few years back I used to listen to ‘Jazz radio’ which played a great selection of different jazz sub-genre but then my interest had fizzled out once I subscribed to Apple Music.

But this station feels great, especially the wonderful comment section.

Concertzender - Orient Express

Concertzender is a forty year old Dutch institution which runs a wonderful bouquet of live radio stations online, and is also a producer of music. Its tagline is indicative of its purpose:
90A8AF4B-7552-459E-8060-A229DDE711F0.png

The Concertzender; a refuge for music and music lovers.

Concertzender is primarily focused on classical music, Jazz and Word music with dedicated stations by genre/theme. Lovers of these genres should try downloading their app and exploring their offerings.

I have been in particular, listening to their Orient Express station for last few years. Most of its content is Indian classical - both Hindustani and Carnatic.

But that doesn’t say much about this station. What it consists is well-curated hour long programs focused on specific genres (eg Carnatic is playing right now). Its content goes deep into each - for example, the previous program had the late Pt. Kamalesh Maitra playing tabla Tarang - a very rare instrument (10-16 tablas of different size and tone playing raga).

Furthermore, you get an elaborate description of the said track/album in the app when the track is playing. There are also real person announcements (mentioning even the support musicians) before each performance, but they are in Dutch. The app however, is in English.

54DFBF81-C196-4B3E-98D1-2BF3A2FB79F2.jpg
The sound quality is relatively good (low distortion, bit lean) and at 160 kbps (when natively played on CXN). You can download their app from App Store. It also supports Chromecast.

It’s a great way to explore Indian classical music. But you can even try it’s other highly recommendable stations for other genres. I also like their World Music station - it’s a gateway into traditional music from across the globe.

4329250A-892C-46EC-8C65-57E8D8D166E1.jpg
Finally, it’s a very noble enterprise that deserves support of music lovers. This, from their mission page:

7FF82353-003C-49F8-9479-04909099D98E.jpg
6804CCF8-4B91-4753-A964-63EEEFAB07D1.jpg

The most popular President endorsed Radio over Music player? ;)

03376A14-81D7-4F2F-A127-24D33A6559FA.jpeg

Just came across this on social media. I haven’t checked if the quote is actually attributed to APJ. But isn’t it so true? Not just the analogy with life, but the experience of listening to radio stations itself? The intrigue of what’s to come next cannot be had through even the best curated playlists. Probably, listening to radio also develops a certain ‘openness to experience’?

Further musing: Of course in these days of url based Internet radio stations there’s no adjustment of frequencies like in the older days of air waves. You have presets now that precisely get you the station you select. I wonder if the streamers (like my CXN) could have a ‘I feel lucky’ kind of button, which on pressing would tune into a random radio station (not necessarily in your presets). Wouldn’t that be fun too? The joy of randomness/surprise shouldn’t get lost in these designs focused on prediction algorithms. I’d not always like to be served either the popular lists or what an intelligent AI detects as of possible interest to me. Sometimes I’d love totally random dish served that has no connection with my choice!

Add your views.

Of course in these days of url based Internet radio stations there’s no adjustment of frequencies like in the older days of air waves.
Rolling the tuning knob, tweaking it back and forth with smaller and smaller movements for weak stations, until the sound was clearest, used be an art. And the frustration when the taut string (I am ignorant of the technical name for it if it has any) rolled around the knob would be a bit unstable, and not let the knob stay in place, disturbing the tuning as well.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back