Little Steps forward to fulfill dreamed HT Setup - Need Suggestions!!!

Hey man, I'm planning a very similar HT setup in a few months when(and if) things go back to normal. Not decided on AVR yet, but thinking of Platinum Achals + Akaar centre. Did you feel like they're a bit overkill for a surround setup? Each has a 10" subwoofer which will likely be unused since you will get a better sub anyway.

I wish they made Achals without the 10" subs. That would save a lot on the cost and sound the exact same(??).

Hey Buddy,

They are very beneficial for a stereo setup where you might decide to not add a sub. They pump out a good amount of bass, if you are going to have a dedicated stereo chain and intend to user AVR for stereo listening combined with a sub then you can go for bookshelfs instead. They make the same set of speakers in the form fo bookshelf or as custom LCR without the big bass drivers, as suggested above speak with Amit on your requirement and he can help you out.

Hey man, I'm planning a very similar HT setup in a few months when(and if) things go back to normal. Not decided on AVR yet, but thinking of Platinum Achals + Akaar centre. Did you feel like they're a bit overkill for a surround setup? Each has a 10" subwoofer which will likely be unused since you will get a better sub anyway.
They do custom make the LCR based on the Platinum achals as well..Our Fm's @SiddharthY and @Music_Craze has got one... I liked the Platinum achals because my usage will be 60 Music and 40 Movies(With Family during weekends).

Hey Buddy,

They are very beneficial for a stereo setup where you might decide to not add a sub. They pump out a good amount of bass, if you are going to have a dedicated stereo chain and intend to user AVR for stereo listening combined with a sub then you can go for bookshelfs instead. They make the same set of speakers in the form fo bookshelf or as custom LCR without the big bass drivers, as suggested above speak with Amit on your requirement and he can help you out.
Thanks for that. So I'm correct in the assumption that getting the version without the sub attached will be better for an HT setup, right? Since I'll be adding my own sub, even a stereo signal should use that sub for low frequencies.

I live in Bengaluru only, just stuck in Mumbai till the virus dies down. Will definitely try them out when I go back.

Thanks for that. So I'm correct in the assumption that getting the version without the sub attached will be better for an HT setup, right? Since I'll be adding my own sub, even a stereo signal should use that sub for low frequencies.

I live in Bengaluru only, just stuck in Mumbai till the virus dies down. Will definitely try them out when I go back.

Yes you are correct in that aspect, dont need a floorstander for your usecase. However go for a good sub which goes low to 20-25hz as your usage would be more dedicated to movies i believe and a ported sub which goes that low will certainly be beneficial.

They do custom make the LCR based on the Platinum achals as well..Our Fm's @SiddharthY and @Music_Craze has got one... I liked the Platinum achals because my usage will be 60 Music and 40 Movies(With Family during weekends).
I'm a bit confused here. Even if your usage is 60% music, won't getting the custom version be better since you'll attach a better subwoofer to it anyway?

I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to audio hardware, so excuse me if I said something stupid.

Yes you are correct in that aspect, dont need a floorstander for your usecase. However go for a good sub which goes low to 20-25hz as your usage would be more dedicated to movies i believe and a ported sub which goes that low will certainly be beneficial.
Will going that way impact music though? Even a stereo signal for music won't be impacted much there, right? The sub will be used for lower frequencies.

I don't know what a ported sub is. Are sub preferences for music and movies separate?

Will going that way impact music though? Even a stereo signal for music won't be impacted much there, right? The sub will be used for lower frequencies.

I don't know what a ported sub is. Are sub preferences for music and movies separate?

Your AVR (audyssey in case of denon) will try to optmize the experience to the extent possible for movies and music alike. Ported sub go deeper and are recommended for movies , whereas sealed subs are more recommended for better music experience. You can read up on the difference, plenty of articles to help you in good words rather than me trying to conjure something up :)

Having said that plenty people use either of them for both purposes, I personally listen to music with just the towers (without any sub) and use ported sub for movies.

Your AVR (audyssey in case of denon) will try to optmize the experience to the extent possible for movies and music alike. Ported sub go deeper and are recommended for movies , whereas sealed subs are more recommended for better music experience. You can read up on the difference, plenty of articles to help you in good words rather than me trying to conjure something up :)

Having said that plenty people use either of them for both purposes, I personally listen to music with just the towers (without any sub) and use ported sub for movies.
Can you please explain to me why using the Achals themselves for music only better than Achals + your sub? Is the ported sub worse for music than the ones integrated into the Achals?

I don't have a budget constraint and have usage of 70/30 for movies + TV show /music. However, among the 70% movies + TV shows, a lot of shows might have stereo audio. Just want to know if there's any benefit in any scenario of spending for the Achal towers v/s the mini ones if I'm going to get a better 12/15" subwoofer anyway?

I'm a bit confused here. Even if your usage is 60% music, won't getting the custom version be better since you'll attach a better subwoofer to it anyway?

I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to audio hardware, so excuse me if I said something stupid.
No Problem...This is my first setup as well...I have a dedicated room(20x12.5) for my HT Setup and working in phases to complete the setup with out any definite timeline.I liked the anchals sound signature(Audition with all my fav tracks for about 2 hours)...I will be not using the sub when listening to the music and will be used for movies only.The bass it produces is not over powering(was amazed coz of the 10inch subwoofer)..it gets when it has to.I am more into Blues,Soul,classic rock,indi Pop and fusion genre of music.
Note: I am not an audiophile as well..I liked the anchals how it opened up the music for me.

I don't have a budget constraint and have usage of 70/30 for movies + TV show /music. However, among the 70% movies + TV shows, a lot of shows might have stereo audio. Just want to know if there's any benefit in any scenario of spending for the Achal towers v/s the mini ones if I'm going to get a better 12/15" subwoofer anyway?
As per Amit,They have a separate line of speakers build mainly for the movies...You can talk to him to know more about it.

Can you please explain to me why using the Achals themselves for music only better than Achals + your sub? Is the ported sub worse for music than the ones integrated into the Achals?

Not saying its better , am saying I prefer the same. For bookshelfs + sub you need to integrate the sub well to get a good synergy and make sure the bass does not overpower , with a tower which goes deep and has good bass quantity you need to spend effort on the integration. Also ported subs dont neccesarily sound the best for music, sealed subs are preferred by many. I had a sealed sub in the past , worked well for music but I did not like it for movies at all. So i decided to go this way

However you can see many forum members going the other way round, they have integrated the sub well and have better bass response than using a dedicated tower only.

Its a tradeoff on the amount of effort you can spend and also positioning to achieve the right amount of bass using a sub vs just using a tower which goes deep enough and has enough bass quantity for your music.

As per Amit,They have a separate line of speakers build mainly for the movies...You can talk to him to know more about it.
Sure, will contact him when I go back to Bangalore. Where can I get his contact info? Can I take an audition anywhere except Bangalore though?

I'm hearing amazing things about their speakers, so will definitely take a listen to them.
Not saying its better , am saying I prefer the same. For bookshelfs + sub you need to integrate the sub well to get a good synergy and make sure the bass does not overpower , with a tower which goes deep and has good bass quantity you need to spend effort on the integration.

However you can see many forum members going the other way round, they have integrated the sub well and have better bass response than using a dedicated tower only.

Its a tradeoff on the amount of effort you can spend and also positioning to achieve the right amount of bass using a sub vs just using a tower which goes deep enough and has enough bass quantity for your music.
I sort of get it now, thanks. I guess I need to take a listen to them and talk to the founder (Amit) before finalizing. I guess they have more options than mentioned on their site. Their site just mentions one sealed 10" sub, but I think they have a ported 12" as well.

I have a few months for the research anyway. The current understanding is that getting a custom Achal + 2 big ported subs might be better for my use case (mostly non-music).

Sure, will contact him when I go back to Bangalore. Where can I get his contact info? Can I take an audition anywhere except Bangalore though?

I'm hearing amazing things about their speakers, so will definitely take a listen to them.

I sort of get it now, thanks. I guess I need to take a listen to them and talk to the founder (Amit) before finalizing. I guess they have more options than mentioned on their site. Their site just mentions one sealed 10" sub, but I think they have a ported 12" as well.

I have a few months for the research anyway. The current understanding is that getting a custom Achal + 2 big ported subs might be better for my use case (mostly non-music).

Yes with 70% movies usecase this makes more sense. Do audition multiple setups to better understand what you are getting from going for Achal vs other speakers. Each brand have their own points of strength and you might like something else, personally i and quiet a few FMs prefer Achal in this budget.

Yes with 70% movies usecase this makes more sense. Do audition multiple setups to better understand what you are getting from going for Achal vs other speakers. Each brand have their own points of strength and you might like something else, personally i and quiet a few FMs prefer Achal in this budget.
If I'm going to spend 2 lacs(?) on an HT setup I'll at least audition all of the speakers at least two times :p. The most I've spent on any audio gear before are my WH-1000XM3 for 20k and I looked at multiple reviews before doing even that.

Yeah, the Achals seem to be amazing from the specs, especially at the price. The comparably priced towers from foreign brands don't come with a 10" sub attached for example.

When I visited indiqaudio's gurgaon customer and listened to Achals and their power amp combination, the immediate observation was the balance across freq range. Nothing was overwhelming, bass was very tight and smooth. Will get more clarity when I meet them on Thursday

When I visited indiqaudio's gurgaon customer and listened to Achals and their power amp combination, the immediate observation was the balance across freq range. Nothing was overwhelming, bass was very tight and smooth. Will get more clarity when I meet them on Thursday
True,I played all the genres I like for a good amount of 2 hours..no fatigue what so ever...It sounded as it should be to my ears...Due to budget constraints I couldn't get their PA...Added to my list and will get it for sure...

Hello All,
I have recieved my IndiqAudio Platinum Anchal today and the initial calibration is done. I am all set for my 2.0 setup with this my phase 1 is completed.I will be posting my detailed experience once I fix some of basic room acoustics.Below is how it looks like now.
I would like to thank @Prodigy,@fLUX for their detailed reviews which helped me with the purchase.
Amit calibrated the current setup to acceptable listening levels for now and he is one of a gem person with lots of Patience.
I am liking the setup and I can imagine how great it would sound once the basic acoustic is done.
This Forum helped with the right choices and l am glad to be a member to this wonderful site.

Attachments

• IMG_20210107_150742__01.jpg
    IMG_20210107_150742__01.jpg
    288 KB · Views: 55
Hello All,
I have recieved my IndiqAudio Platinum Anchal today and the initial calibration is done. I am all set for my 2.0 setup with this my phase 1 is completed.I will be posting my detailed experience once I fix some of basic room acoustics.Below is how it looks like now.
I would like to thank @Prodigy,@fLUX for their detailed reviews which helped me with the purchase.
Amit calibrated the current setup to acceptable listening levels for now and he is one of a gem person with lots of Patience.
I am liking the setup and I can imagine how great it would sound once the basic acoustic is done.
This Forum helped with the right choices and l am glad to be a member to this wonderful site.
Congratulation on your Purchase. Enjoy the set up..

Hello All,
Congratulations.enjoy non stop music.
For music you don't require much of acoustic but yes for movie watching.
Your laminate looks like exactly as mine

Congratulations.enjoy non stop music.
For music you don't require much of acoustic but yes for movie watching.
Your laminate looks like exactly as mine
Agreed,Mine is a dedicated room(20x12.5) with very less furniture and a big glass window which is causing a bit problem...Once this is fixed the speakers will run to its true potential..

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back