Living@Rethm Club

Prem,I am not in a hurry to get the new amp as the sugden is playing pretty well. However eventually I would change it when my sugden gets sold.Meantime I am waiting for Jacob to finalize on the new version of Gaanam. Also i am thinking of OTL implementations - transcend audio. I am pretty happy with the dac considering the marantz as transport.Cabling is really a weak point in my system.Possibly will be going for Auditorium cables if budget permits.

Why don't you go for Rethm cables? They are very nice. If you go OTL, you will need one without feedback

Yesterday , I tried to block all corners with thick cushions , but was not able to tame the echo. Then I tried a strange thing ....I put a 2ft * 6 ft ladder in the middle of the speakers and covered it with thick blanket from the top ....also introduced a thick foam covering from a sofa leaning to the side of the ladder. then the echo reduced almost 90%.

Now confused on whether it was a roof/floor echo or a side wall echo.
I am thinking of getting 48 kg/m3 rockwool to start treating the room.
Will start with the ceiling (6*6 sqft) centre piece and corners and the front wall and then the sides.Alternatively I am also thinking of using the grey 2'' foam instead of the rockwool for the ceiling.

I am skeptical on the density...need some suggestions.

So you are not getting echo from the top corners. You said you have carpeted the floor. So it can't be a ceiling floor interaction. Try treating the sidewalls. Put some blanket on one side and see what happens. The ladder in the middle was according to me breaking up the reflections either originating from the side wall or the ceiling. The reflections from the ceiling should get tamed by the carpet. So that leaves the side walls.

Last edited:
Updates: The layout of the room was significantly changed. The Bookshelves were dismantled and moved to the side walls . Will post pictures later.
Added 2'' rock wool in first reflection points to prevent side wall echo and 4 '' bass traps.
These had huge improvement on the sound stage and the cleanliness of the upper frequencies.Currently experimenting with a big piece of 2 '' rockwool in the centre .
I am aiming for a more focused mid range.
Significant updates in cabling and sources:
1.Added Raspberry pi 3 Digi +
2.Started using Marantz 48 digital out to my ifi micro dsd.
3.Got DH labs silver coaxial cable (great buy)
4.Borrowed Rethm Interconnects and replaced my VDH. Yet to hear much difference though , but the bottleneck may be my speaker cables.
5.And finally after a long wait , I have stopped withing for Rethm Cables and ordered the auditorium 23 cables yesterday.
6.Pending upgrades are Power cable.Waiting for quote from Rethm
7.Will try to see how I can get improvements on the Power Supply to reduce noise further.
Thinking of getting a pure copper isolation transformer and servo stabilizer.

I plan is to stick with this setup for this year and start loaning some tube amps from next year or wait for Rethms prototype . I know for sure Sugden's would be hard to replace by a mediocre tube amp. The amp has to be stellar to replace the a21se.

Last edited:
That's a lot of work. Good going. Awaiting the pics and, of course, more when the cables come.

Guys , I spoke to Jacob yesterday . Unfortunately Rethm has stopped making any of the cables. So I need to look for alternate options for Power cables .
I would need 3 of them . 2 for the Bass modules for Rethms and 1 for the Sugden.
Please let me know some options.

If you have the budget get Livelines power cables. They work. You can get used for around 35000 for a 6 ft cable

I have received my Auditorium 23 cables today... I have been hearing my system with these cables for the last 3 hours.They are unbelievably neutral sounding. Not sure if they require any break in or not , but with the first listen , i see there is a big solidity in the sound stage.The Haze has been removed and the sound is more focused and immediate.The details are in plenty but not overemphasized at any frequency. Such a joy to listen to.

I am very much tempted to try their interconnects !!!

I have received my Auditorium 23 cables today... I have been hearing my system with these cables for the last 3 hours.They are unbelievably neutral sounding. Not sure if they require any break in or not , but with the first listen , i see there is a big solidity in the sound stage.The Haze has been removed and the sound is more focused and immediate.The details are in plenty but not overemphasized at any frequency. Such a joy to listen to.

I am very much tempted to try their interconnects !!!

Just adding to this comment. I am in love with the Rethms all over again. Suddenly the urge to upgrade any component is gone and the urge to listen to more music has increased. I can't emphasize how much temperamental the rethms are with respect to speaker cables. I have not heard the "Livelines" , but Audiotirum cables are truly emotionally engaging. I know it sounds silly , but I hear 50% improvement after the change ...and its a change that was easily picked up by my wife without knowing what got changed. Its the Best Buy for me after the Rethms.

I have heard the Auditorium 23 with the Rethms. The Livelines are better. They bring out the microdynamics and PRAT better

Kushanava, I have experienced both Liveline power cables and interconnects. I can only emphasis they bring the best out of your gear. While I had the Saadhnas V1, the Liveline ICs were introduced first followed by PC. The difference was substantial.

BTW, I have 2 pairs of RCA ICs to give away. I now run Liveline balanced balanced ICs.

I have heard the Auditorium 23 with the Rethms. The Livelines are better. They bring out the microdynamics and PRAT better

Ok. But auditorium sound beautiful too. How would you compare Rethm Interconnects with Auditorium or livelines ?

I do not like Rethm interconnects. Never heard Auditorium ic. Since you have Auditorium speaker cables, suggest explore their ic. Don't go Liveline with Auditorium. I don't think it will work.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back