Lizards entering speakers through port holes?

geekonstereo

Hello.
I recently bought a pair of Monitor Audio Silver 8s. Great speakers.
Each speaker has two port holes at the back.
A few lizards running around my home usually don't bother me, but I am suddenly paranoid that one or two of them might enter the speakers through the port holes and take up residence inside the speakers.
Am I being too paranoid?
Has anyone else faced a similar situation?
Any possible solution?
I was thinking of keeping the port holes closed with the sponge plugs that came with the speakers when not using them.
When the speakers are in operation I presume lizards (or insects) won't come near them because of the sound.
Any easier solution?
Thank you.

Excellent idea. I am assuming that the porous net won't make the speaker 'sealed', right?
I might actually use a piece of gauze. That should work as well, no?
Thanks a lot.

Excellent idea. I am assuming that the porous net won't make the speaker 'sealed', right?
I might actually use a piece of gauze. That should work as well, no?
Thanks a lot.

You are no way sealing the port, as the speaker can still breathe through the fabric net..

best solution is to keep the port closed when not in use.useing a net might affect the tonality of the speaker.

Yeah, possibly. I will try both. Will use a net to see if there's a major difference in to tonality. Or might just use the sponge port seals to close the holes when not listening. Thank you.

The mosquito net is a very good solution and nothing will 'eat' through them.
It will hardly affect the vent area and so it will not affect the sound.
It will actually be a slightly resistive load on the duct and so it might drop the tuned frequency fractionally. Shouldn't make any difference to what you hear .

Last edited:
+1 Elango Sir,
I have experience watching our few Cockroaches or small Insects also entering the Spear via Rear Port. Since most of the front port would be covered with grill so no much chance for those creatures to enter. I have just opened the speaker and covered the Duct with Mosquito net + I placed few Moth Balls too :), Just a precaution. I hope Moth Balls dont interrupt the music coming from the speakers.

Use the mosquito net solution suggested. Will make absolutely no difference to the tuning. You can leave it there permanently instead of the sealing while not listening and unsealing while listening solution - bit of a bother that!

Thank you, all.
Will install the net patch and report back if there's a major difference in sound quality.
As for experimenting with letting the lizards into the speakers, I am a firm unbeliever in animal testing, panditji!

You might want to let the lizards enter and check if they bring any benefit to the sound ...you never know they might absorb the lower frequencies and make the bass tighter ...do let us know if you experiment (;-)

---------------------------------------------
What if, they eat up the speaker-spider, as it is a bigger spider?

Hello.

Any easier solution?
Thank you.

I used the same solution of NETLON net cover port opening(about 3 inches dia) in 1987 in a DIY speaker. I still have the speaker but had removed the net as the port was located near top of the speaker opposite to tweeter and possibility of insect entering was remote other than a flying mosquito which i presume would not adversely affect the sound:lol: But knowing audiophiles still there is scope for discussion:D:D. In any case net covered port with sides taped with cell tape didnot make any difference although the net holes were close together.
I would agree this is the easy and simple solution. U can of course try with different nets with different size holes to satisfy yourself that there is no effect on sound- resistive load as one FM had put it.

Last edited:
... and if they are pet. Have you considered to train them to put on CD or something and stay put near CD player.
Regards.

Get rid of lizards from inside the home !

I use pest control services on a regular basis.
Nets on every window.
All the doors close tightly and have a snug fitting wooden frame all around (including 'chaukhat')
No open drains anywhere in the house. Each and every drain has a water seal or a cover.
No eating anywhere in the house except the dining room.
No insects / cockroaches anywhere and so no food for lizards !
I also use citronella oil based room sprays once in a while. It smells nice and keeps the pests outside.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back