Logitech Z-2300 [ The Last of the Titans : Reviewed]

hello cvelaga !

first of all, welcome to HFV :)

since you have now more or less decided upon purchasing the Z623, i would like to say just take the plunge. i could've recommended to you klipsch promedia 2.1, but am not sure on their pricing and availablity. primeabgb did have 1-2 pieces of it sometime back, but they were sold.

in case you havent gone through the below link, would advise to read through. one of the first few lines even says that logitech Z623 is the best set of speakers money could buy for less than INR 10k :)

Logitech Z623 Unboxing - Digit Technology Discussion Forum

lets wait for rishiguru's response too.

P.S. - heck ! just saw price of Z623 over flipkart. increased by 2k now :(

Hi rishiguru, I am planning to buy good desktop speakers for all round purpose, music and movies. I dont play computer games, but do listern to lot of music.

Welcome to HiFiVision cvelaga.:)

It seems you want a good set of PC speakers for music followed by movies.

Within a budget of INR 15K it comes down to:

1) M-Audio AV40 [Powered Bookshelves]
2) Audio Engine A2 [Powered Bookshelves]
3) Edifier S530 [2.1 PC speakers]
4) Logitech Z623 [2.1 PC speakers]
5) Altec Lansing Expressionist Ultra [2.1 PC speakers]
3) Corsair SP2500 [2.1 PC speakers]
4) Creative T3 [2.1 PC speakers]

After lot of research and reading through forums I have shortlisted Logitech z623.

For music listening NO. For movies YES.

Please do not get me wrong, Z623 are excellent all rounders as they are well optimized for movies thanks to THX and also sounds good for music and are a very good VFM product.

Do you suggest any other desktop 2.1 speakers under 10K ?

Clearly for me Z623's are not the best choice as far as music is concerned. Truly speaking the best speakers for music & music only are the M-Audio AV40 followed by Audio Engine A2. No 2.1's in the above list can come close to these babies in terms of musicality but flippin the coin to the other side they really suffer in movies coz they are small and not powerful enough to cater movies.

So I will definitely opt for a 2.1 to cater both music/movies. But it seems you prefer music over movies so I vote for Edifier S530.

The Edifier S530 are more musical than Z623 and comes with a dedicated & bigger subwoofer with an 8 inch bass driver. It has a dedicated bass driver, mid woofers and tweeters to take care of the bass/mid/highs in equal measure. With a budget of INR 13K I will buy them with my eyes closed since it handles music exceptionally well and are good for movies too. It also comes with remote control & dock.

Link : Edifier.co.in

I appreciate the way, you have taken time to post detailed explaination of the amplifiers,components quality of the speaker systems. And I completely understand that you would like everyone to appreciate what Logitech Z2300 packed inside the boxes was more worth than other brands for higher prices .I would have gone for it, but is there anything comparable to it for similar price range .

Thanks
Cvelaga

All I can say is when I bought my Z2300 at INR 6.5K, at that paltry sum one cannot expect anything more than what Z2300 offered. It provided decent sound quality for its price & I was very happy with its performance.

Last edited:
hi rishiguru ! thanks for this detailed response. sorry cvelaga. interrupting a bit in the middle, but my query might prove helpful to you too.

so rishiguru, you said M-Audio AV40 is the best budget 2.0 monitor-set. but have you listened to edirol MA-15D and microlabs solo-6C ?! the former is owned by hemantwaghe here, and the latter by another member 'freshseasons'. both of them had heaps of praises for them. edirol also has plethora of connectivity options, whereas microlabs at its cheap price, has good amount of power, and after a certain burn-in period, gives a fight to the audioengine A5 (according to the review done by freshseasons) ! would appreciate your view on this, as am utterly confused in which monitor to buy since past 2-3 months. whenever i think that now i have decided, pat comes another option straight onto my face :(

so rishiguru, you said M-Audio AV40 is the best budget 2.0 monitor-set. but have you listened to edirol MA-15D and microlabs solo-6C ?!(

Edirol MA-15D's are good. Really good. But I have not listened to them so cannot comment. But the product seems very promising. You can take a plunge and get one. Don't expect a lot of power from these near field monitors though.

About Microlabs solo-6C I have no idea about how it sounds except that i read an exhaustive review about them nearly 2 years ago. Here is the link(Used google translate from Russian to English) : TechLabs.ru-Microlab Solo 6C

Hope this helps.:)

Last edited:
thank you very much !

freshseasons has suggested me to purchase the microlabs because they dont compress bass via DSP, as the roland one does, hence there's no colouration to the sound. also, they are rated at 100W, much higher than roland. and am getting the microlabs for a good sum of just 6.5k. according to him, these blow the audioengine A2 away, and compete with A5 at that price. hence am leaning more towards the solo-6C. they are being sold here as 'circle arko' in india, rebranded. his review on them :

http://www.hifivision.com/reviews/22413-cirle-arko-microlabs-solo-6c-100rms-active-speakers.html

+1 to rishi's suggestion !

am using this system with my PC for all 3 purposes, ie, gaming, movies and music, and i find it a terrific budget 5.1 system ! if you arent an audiophile, then you couldnt ask for more at its price ! but using it with an amp is a MUST i should say.

darshan ji, you could get this system from alfa at irla market, vile parle, for 8.2k. price might've increased slightly now though.

P.S. - If you find yourself utterly confused, you are welcome to audition it at my place :)

Last edited:
thank you Rishiguru and eveyone ,

I would not have known about Topping TP 20, if I had not visited this forum. After reading few threads and reviews , I ordered a Topping TP20 for about $70 . One of my cousin is travelling from US, so he is going to get it for me. If I wanted to ship directly i had to pay almost same amount for shipping. For speakers, I had a old sony hifi with 3 cd changer, twin Tape and radio. I think I bought it in 2002, for about 20 K. Its useless now, does not play mp3 and dvd's. I liked the 3way speakers and clarity back then when it was new and after using it for two years we never used it. I am going to use those 2 3way speakers set. I opened the main head unit to see if I can pull out the amplifier circuit, Its as big as a motherboard of a computer and a heavy transformer.

I am going to recieve the Topping tp 20 by feb end, and iam not sure this setup will be OK for my requirement. The sony main unit had a groove button, to boost the bass. I dont think iam going to get that bassboost with TP20.

The speakers are 6 Ohms rating. Can you please advise, how can I use my planned setup to full extent.. i mean how can I exploit the setup to full extent .. do i need to buy any other gear ?

Thanks and regards
CVelaga

Attachments

• IMG_20120205_190810.jpg
    IMG_20120205_190810.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 74
connected my Topping TP20 mark to sony speakers ... First impression... The sound it little bright. Bass is also little weak .... sound quality is good for some songs and for some its just too bright.

I feel, this Amp should have Bass and treble control, Found few resources where they are discussing to add few Capacitors to improve sound quality, I will try that.

Does any one know if we can mod the amp to add bass and treble controls ?

regards
cvelaga

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back